Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: 2008 Models  (Read 14886 times)

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
2008 Models
« on: February 24, 2007, 08:49:12 AM »

What do you think the MoCo has on tap for 2008? :orange: :nixweiss:
2006 FLTRI waiting for a FLTRSEI?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: 2008 Models
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:19:22 AM »

Service mgr told me that the motors will be more tamper proof , no hot rodding  and more EPA crapp... :o :o

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:26:30 AM »

Service mgr told me that the motors will be more tamper proof , no hot rodding  and more EPA crapp... :o :o
Wonder how they're going to do that?  Lock the side covers, so you can't get to the ECM, make it so if the ECM is ever disconnected/bypassed that the bike shuts down?  There's going to have to make it biker-proof, cuz a lot of the guys here are really good wrenches and they'll find a way around anything the MoCo does.  JMO.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 09:28:27 AM »

Every time I read this stuff it makes me even happier I got an o6 while I could.  Love that bike! :jalapeno:

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 12:00:35 PM »

Well, I wish that I kept the old carbed 2000 RK with what I hear now. The Jester is getting some work done it now. Would be a shame if the 2008 were locked down. But the good thing, you would save monies that you would have spent on the all the upgrades! Well, I tried to put a positive on it. Later.
Ugly John
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 12:05:40 PM »

Well, I wish that I kept the old carbed 2000 RK with what I hear now. The Jester is getting some work done it now. Would be a shame if the 2008 were locked down. But the good thing, you would save monies that you would have spent on the all the upgrades! Well, I tried to put a positive on it. Later.
Ugly John

Currently there are always low mileage bikes showing up for sale, that may change if there is a way to lock down the new bikes.  My guess is they'll have a seal like single class racing motors and if it is broken the warranty will be void.

So what's new there, most warranty stuff is toast anyway.  We'll all be doing the same stuff to the new motors (if sealed) as we do now.

twincam

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 01:00:56 PM »

Man that is like new radars, drug tests, ect, they come up with something bigger and better and someone else comes up with a way to beat it!!! ::)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »

The aftermarket for the bike world won't be any less energetic that it has been for years (and years) in the automotive world.  So while there may be some lag to address new constraints imposed by the OEM it won't last long; it never has. 

While there may be short term hassles involved in such things the one thing that brings a grin to me is that HDI is hurting, first, it's own dealerships with things like this.  The same shops that all too often in one breath tell us with a straight face that things can't be done or shouldn't be done, then in the next breath exercise perfect willingness to do the same types of things themselves will be the first ones hamstrung by any new service requirement.  Serves them right.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 07:40:58 PM »

The aftermarket for the bike world won't be any less energetic that it has been for years (and years) in the automotive world.  So while there may be some lag to address new constraints imposed by the OEM it won't last long; it never has. 

While there may be short term hassles involved in such things the one thing that brings a grin to me is that HDI is hurting, first, it's own dealerships with things like this.  The same shops that all too often in one breath tell us with a straight face that things can't be done or shouldn't be done, then in the next breath exercise perfect willingness to do the same types of things themselves will be the first ones hamstrung by any new service requirement.  Serves them right.
You are right TL.  I couldn't help but think that when the moco did away with all the SE goodies (except the street legal ones) that they were putting a big dent in the dealers pocketbooks.  I know they sell lots and lots of aftermarket stuff but it doesn't have the same margin as what they got from the moco I am sure.  But they are surviving very well.  Just have to sell more t-shirts and moco logoed chit.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 07:50:40 PM »

Had my usual Saturday chat with my owner today. We talked about the fine line he is walking in all of the Screamin Eagle (crossed flag stuff) work that goes on in his shop. He says it is a topic of discussion on a weekly basis amoung he and his managers and that they are constantly monitoring what is happening on all fronts with regard to regulation and enforcement. What happened to Jesse James concerned him greatly. He spoke about how aggresively the MoCo has marketed Screamin Eagle products. He feels his problems when they become that will not come from the MoCo, but from government entities like C.A.R.B ( California Air Resources Board) and the EPA/DOT. So my point here is don't worry about the MoCo doing things to their bikes so that they can't be modified. As I said they've got too big a stake in that with the whole Screamin Eagle Brand line. Worry about enforcement via the government. In Maine, if a cop stops you for modified exhaust, he'll ask you if it was done by a dealer. If you tell him yes and name the dealer, he'll fill out a report and another cop will visit the dealer and confirm if they installed the pipes or not via their work order system. If they did, they get a fine as well as the guy on the bike and the dealer's fine is a lot more substantial than the rider. Long story short from what I hear, The H-D dealers in Maine will not install performance exhaust systems on bikes for customers.

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 09:34:11 PM »

In Maine, if a cop stops you for modified exhaust, he'll ask you if it was done by a dealer. If you tell him yes and name the dealer, he'll fill out a report and another cop will visit the dealer and confirm if they installed the pipes or not via their work order system. If they did, they get a fine as well as the guy on the bike and the dealer's fine is a lot more substantial than the rider. Long story short from what I hear, The H-D dealers in Maine will not install performance exhaust systems on bikes for customers.

B B

That would make Maine stiffer than EPA or California guidelines.  Can't speak to accuracy but I did at least make sure the citations in the following were correct.  Seems to give an attempt at explanation of Maine statutory requirements as of about one year ago.

http://www.ubm-usa.org/inspection.html

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 12:21:03 AM »

All of the dealers here in the Bay Area will not install any performance parts on bikes any longer. Not even the SE offerings. If they are not street legal they won't do it, but they will gladly sell you the parts to install on you "off Road" bike.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 12:06:49 PM »

All of the dealers here in the Bay Area will not install any performance parts on bikes any longer. Not even the SE offerings. If they are not street legal they won't do it, but they will gladly sell you the parts to install on you "off Road" bike.

It's the same with all the dealerships here in the big valley.  And from what Big Brian has said above........sounds like it may be the same all throughout Calif.  or will be in the very near future.

Somewhere on this site there's an article posted that indicates that the EPA was/is starting with dealerships in the west and then going to move eastward across the country.  After putting a stop to the dealerships they'll then target independants and then the owners themselves.  Better get your mods done now.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 12:38:47 PM »

It's the same with all the dealerships here in the big valley.  And from what Big Brian has said above........sounds like it may be the same all throughout Calif.  or will be in the very near future.

Somewhere on this site there's an article posted that indicates that the EPA was/is starting with dealerships in the west and then going to move eastward across the country.  After putting a stop to the dealerships they'll then target independents and then the owners themselves.  Better get your mods done now.

Just like they did with car dealerships decades ago, when the legislation finally has been placed on motorcycles to comply the dealers face hefty fines for modifying emissions.  It isn't worth the risk for a dealer to hang his multimillion dollars investment out for the sake of louder pipes, raw emissions or performance.  Once all of the dealers comply the playing field is leveled and they once again will be on even competitive ground.

Until a few receive penalties and the word gets around there will be those very few that continue to alter bikes but it won't be long before the few also realize the EPA is not messing around.  As metro areas grow and emissions testing is placed on motorcycles the evolution to fewer and fewer performance mods will happen.

The bright side will be more performance offerings from the factory right out of the box, similar to what car manufacturers have gone to with SRT models and Ford CVO's.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 01:10:25 PM »

tons of info but some very alarming issues and reports
http://www.mrf.org/

jeffj
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 25 queries.