Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ride planner  (Read 1538 times)

swhalen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
Ride planner
« on: August 21, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »

Been talking to Everett at harley corporate. Great guy. He is the guru they tell me if he can't answer it than he will call you back. He admits that Harmon Carden sp. and ride planner done sync. Don't know what to tell you. I use locations on ride planner to get me going where I want easily and then run them to waypoints one after another. Have to add what I call a couple of secret waypoints along the way so that when it f$$$s up I can skip the next waypoint until I'm back on course. Just got back from a 2000 mile week vacation. Brought my laptop with me and planned my rides every night before bed. Have been working with this since 95 and am damned if I am going to let it beat me. I have gone down a lot of wrong roads and has sent me around in circles but after 100s of hrs on the computer and talking to harley I am able to go around the block without getting lost. They admit it does not work properly yet customers are still buying this system for what it is promising to do. Just isn't right. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
Re: Ride planner
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:26:15 AM »

Could not agree more!  I am in the market for a 2018 CVO Street Glide but if they have not drastically updated their infotainment/gps system it will likely be a deal breaker.  Indian, Yamaha, BMW are miles ahead and Harleys 5yr old system is now a dinosaur.  Will not be long now to find out.

Glenncarp

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 05:45:58 PM »

Could not agree more!  I am in the market for a 2018 CVO Street Glide but if they have not drastically updated their infotainment/gps system it will likely be a deal breaker.  Indian, Yamaha, BMW are miles ahead and Harleys 5yr old system is now a dinosaur.  Will not be long now to find out.

Hmm, not sure about the Indian, just spent a week riding with buddy who has '17 Roadmaster, his GPS looks pretty, but as far as functionality??? I'll stick with the HD system. Believe it or not, Indian only made the import function available less than 8 months ago. My buddy says their intentions with new updates is to allow you to plan an entire route on the bike like you do on a laptop. I just don't see that being easy.

His GPS system did not re route him if we missed or skipped a waypoint. It kept trying to take him back to it. I was able to show him on day one how to remove a waypoint, but oddly enough, on day two, that options was no longer available. Weird. Their system also only shows you milage to next waypoint, I fooled with it for 45 mins to try and have it also show milage to end, but there is no option for that and in fact, no option to add/remove/arrange information on GPS screen during a route. You are stuck with their layout and it is basic as hell. The pinch to zoom screen was neat and the high def screen kicks the butt of my HD, but other than looking pretty, it really was VERY basic as far as GPS functionality!

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:43:41 AM »

Been talking to Everett at harley corporate. Great guy. He is the guru they tell me if he can't answer it than he will call you back. He admits that Harmon Carden sp. and ride planner done sync. Don't know what to tell you. I use locations on ride planner to get me going where I want easily and then run them to waypoints one after another. Have to add what I call a couple of secret waypoints along the way so that when it f$$$s up I can skip the next waypoint until I'm back on course. Just got back from a 2000 mile week vacation. Brought my laptop with me and planned my rides every night before bed. Have been working with this since 95 and am damned if I am going to let it beat me. I have gone down a lot of wrong roads and has sent me around in circles but after 100s of hrs on the computer and talking to harley I am able to go around the block without getting lost. They admit it does not work properly yet customers are still buying this system for what it is promising to do. Just isn't right. Good luck

Just returned from a 5500 mile 26 day road trip which, as I've done similar since 2015 with no issues :2vrolijk_21:! I'd completely planned the route months prior to departure on my laptop including many bookings at Best-Western where possible, saved to a thumb-drive and then loaded into my infotainment system (in two separate parts to avoid overloading the memory).
Things I've learned over the years to make things run smoothly:
  • Mostly, I use one LOCATION per day with the route (including planned stops) defined by waypoints
  • I don't recall the maximum number of LOCATIONS "loadable" in a single file (20ish?), but I keep it down to about two weeks worth on a single file;
  • Get into the habit of deleting each day's "ride" (ride=1 location to another location with waypoints in between) to keep from overloading the memory;
  • When setting a waypoint ....ALWAYS right-click and "ZOOM to road" to insure the waypoint is ON THE CORRECT ROADWAY. Otherwise you'll ride past the waypoint and experience the nagging instructions to "go back". Of course you can always "Skip Next Waypoint" to solve that annoyance ;D
  • When searching for your next GAS STATION, be aware the system has IDIOSYNCHRASIES" regarding waypoints. Assuming you've a waypoint in your ride to specify a specific road to take (let's say it's 40 miles out) and you search for and select a GAS STATION (becomes another waypoint) which is 80 miles out, your "miles to destination" will suddenly JUMP because the silly system prioritizes the GAS STATION WAYPOINT ......then directs you back to the waypoint which was only 40 miles out! In order to solve that, you'd need to "skip that next waypoint" before programming the GAS STATION waypoint LOL
  • Be aware of another RIDE PLANNER IDIOSYNCHRASY regarding high altitude roads which are "CLOSED IN WINTER" ....like BEARTOOTH HIGHWAY as an example. If you're doing the planning for the ride during the Winter, the Ride Planner software will not allow you to place a waypoint or location on that roadway ....even though you're planning the actual trip for the Summer when it would be open!
  • There are other issues, but none that a dose of common sense won't cure!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:43:35 AM by Trigger-Man »
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

swhalen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 08:30:10 AM »

Thank you for your response. I have been learning from experience and have been talking with Everett at harley who is looking into some of the problems mine is having one being on a simple route trying to send me around a loop connecting back to my route for no reason. I do practice most of what you described. One thing is that I do have a lot of rides stored on my system and will delete to free up the memory like you suggested. Also mine warns me about the route containing unpaved roads frequently which seem to come up on the trip as little spikes that go nowhere but dead end. I do the zoom thing and simulations which I get tired of because of the time involved. I just find it frustrating having to learn this through experience and common sense as you refer it to and seems like we know more about this than any tech I have talked to. I have been asking for a new nav system to replace this one which I think is defective. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my frustrations

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 08:44:53 AM »

Thank you for your response. I have been learning from experience and have been talking with Everett at harley who is looking into some of the problems mine is having one being on a simple route trying to send me around a loop connecting back to my route for no reason. I do practice most of what you described. One thing is that I do have a lot of rides stored on my system and will delete to free up the memory like you suggested. Also mine warns me about the route containing unpaved roads frequently which seem to come up on the trip as little spikes that go nowhere but dead end. I do the zoom thing and simulations which I get tired of because of the time involved. I just find it frustrating having to learn this through experience and common sense as you refer it to and seems like we know more about this than any tech I have talked to. I have been asking for a new nav system to replace this one which I think is defective. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my frustrations

You may want to take a look at MyRoute-App, RGlideKid uses it and had planned rides for the gtg in Eureka Springs, I read about it on this post, https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=111037.msg1419472#msg1419472

I have played around with it and it seems easier to use once you figure out how the way points work when planning a route, its free unless you upgrade to a Gold member.
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Jeevz

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Stardust
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:59:49 AM »

+1 for MyRoute-App.  Very easy to use and plans can be altered on the fly with a phone or tablet as long as they can connect to a USB stick.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.