Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Florida  (Read 5488 times)

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Florida
« on: February 27, 2007, 11:13:44 AM »

Hey Florida residents, I am headed your way for bike week and plan on also going to the Keys.
I have never been there, but someone told me that riding near the beaches is a salt issue. Is there any truth to this story? Is there any precautions to take? Don't want to have a corrosion issue. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for any advise.
JD

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 11:35:59 AM »

Hey Florida residents, I am headed your way for bike week and plan on also going to the Keys.
I have never been there, but someone told me that riding near the beaches is a salt issue. Is there any truth to this story? Is there any precautions to take? Don't want to have a corrosion issue. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for any advise.
JD

H4Me,

In short, no. Now, if you want to ride down Daytona Beach and run through the water, then yes, you'll have a rusty scooter.

You won't experience any problem for the couple of days you'll be down there. I lived in SE FL for 30 years, and there isn't special treatment needed for cars etc. If you are $$$$$$ enough to live on the beach, it can be a problem, but you'll be too rich to care.

Chief
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 11:41:38 AM by Chief »

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 11:48:19 AM »

Thanks Chief...that makes me feel better.

I will probably be giving it a wash job at night with a cool one close by :drink:

JD

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:55:52 AM »

Thanks Chief...that makes me feel better.

I will probably be giving it a wash job at night with a cool one close by :drink:

JD

And a sweat towel, if you're anything like me. I don't know if I'll ever be able to live down there again. I just can't handle the humidity when I visit.

I know you'll have a great time. If you do get to go the the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key, on the road to No Name Key, that's the intersection of Watson Blvd and Matthews Road. My grandfather was Jeter Matthews and developed a bunch of that land up there on Doctor's Arm. If only we had known then what we know now about waterfront property. It seems like we were giving that stuff away in the 70's.

Chief

P.S. Until just now, I never looked at our avatars, but our bikes could be switched, and it would be hard to tell them apart, until you look at the starter, that is.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 11:57:35 AM by Chief »

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 12:01:03 PM »

They say hind sight is 20/20.

Are you suggesting that is good pub to stop at?

JD

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 12:13:45 PM »

They say hind sight is 20/20.

Are you suggesting that is good pub to stop at?

JD

It's a a true hole-in-the-wall joint with a couple of pool tables and all kinds of patron-sponsored wall decorations. The have great pizza too. It's been there for many many years.

Chief

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 12:17:55 PM »

If we have time, I will make an attempt to check it out.

Thanks again

JD

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 05:21:29 PM »

Thanks for any advise.
JD

Hey JD,
Keep us posted on the "GOOD SPOTS" that you find on your ride to the keys.  My wife and I are making the same trip in April,

:drink:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

ronshood2000

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 01:55:35 PM »

I've lived near the ocean for 41 of my 45 years on this earth and oveer the last nearly 30 years of owning cars and M/C's, have never experienced the salt rot folks always seem to think exists.
Ron

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 02:25:56 PM »

I've lived near the ocean for 41 of my 45 years on this earth and oveer the last nearly 30 years of owning cars and M/C's, have never experienced the salt rot folks always seem to think exists.

Thank you for the info ronsdood....that sounds reassuring.
JD

ronshood2000

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 02:32:27 PM »

Enjoy your trip!!!!!

You'll have a blast. :orange:
Ron

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 02:40:43 PM »

Enjoy your trip!!!!!

You'll have a blast. :orange:

I have packed extra Tylenol  :drink:
JD

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 11:30:43 AM »

Well guy's , here is a brief and late coming report on the Florida trip.

Bike week had awesome weather and we got lots of riding in. Our trip was two part. We wanted to attend bike week as well as drive to the Keys.
We based out of Kissimmee. Spent two days in Daytona. Lots of bike...TONS of choppers, but to be honest I thought this would have been busier. It was my first time there, so I have no other years to compare to know if it was normally busier. I assumed Beach street would be jammed up the middle, but cars were able to go up and down it with bikes lining the street edges.
We have an event in a small local town (not city) Port Dover Ont. Can. that gathers 100000 bikes every Friday the 13th.....rain/shine or snow. The streets are jammed...shoulder to shoulder. Obviously the summer ones are better attended. This year there is one in April and July. If you ever get a chance to take a ride to Port Dover, I think you will be impressed for the size of the small port town. www.pd13.com. Check out the web site for more info.

The drive to the Keys was long...which is ok, but wasn't that exciting. Scenery was a bit repetitious with nothing really outstanding.
Once you get there however, it is really nice. We ate at the Hogs Breath Salloon, which is a must for bikers. There is lots to see and do there, but time was at a premium for us, so back to Homestead we went where we had stayed the night before and then back to Kissimmee.
In summary, we put on 2600km in 5 days and very much enjoyed Florida.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 12:20:33 PM »

The drive to the Keys was long...which is ok, but wasn't that exciting. Scenery was a bit repetitious with nothing really outstanding.

When I first left Florida, I was still very emotionally attached, since I was born and raised there. I've got a cousin up here in ATL who was also B&R in FL (Miami). He said something that originally pissed me off, but as I started adjusting to my NEW home I realized he was right. He said Florida is an ugly state surrounded by beautiful beaches. There are plenty of nice places, especially around the center of the state, but in South Florida, it's pretty much palmetto, scrub oak and pines.

Please don't get me wrong because I'll probably return one day to die there, but unless you've got a waterfront view, it isn't all that pretty, especially in Martin, St. Lucie and Palm Beach counties, where I spent many years.

Chief

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 12:30:02 PM »

Chief,
I'm certain Florida has lots of real nice things to see that a major highway will not allow. I want to go back again in a smaller group (we had eight) and get into some of the secondary  roads and see the rual areas. Five days only allows you to sample the area.

JD
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 01:53:28 PM by harlez4me »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 20 queries.