Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam  (Read 48442 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2007, 05:47:02 PM »

looks like i would need to go with a dual bulb setup like you are running. could be a bigger budget then i want to put into the head light

They are just a pigtail out the back Neal.  Almost no space needed at all.  You would get stuck with buying a lot more stuff though.  Housing and both bulb kits.  Probably kill 600 bucks real fast.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2007, 05:49:37 PM »

Don,

I have the stock H4 light.  I was thinking of the Bi-Xenon H4 for both high and low beams.  It's $324, but for 2 or more they list it at $304.

All the 05 bikes started that way Ernie.  Honestly don't know if the 04s still had a sealed beam or had gone to the H4.  If forced to guess I'd presume they used the H4 too though.  So surely someone would be interested in joining you.  Though for only $20.00 difference you ought to try to round up a bay are comrade.  Otherwise the extra shipping to get the second unit on home would just about eat up the savings.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2007, 12:43:41 AM »

If anyone was interested in those 881 style lights mentioned earlier in this thread you might wish to reconsider.

They're advertised by their seller as being a good color match to an 8000k lumens HID light.  They're not.  They are a good bright bulb.  Brighter than the stock bulbs for a pretty good price.  So if you're interested in just a brighter bulb they still might be worth a little interest.  They're not a color match to the blue of a good HID light though.  At least not an 8000k HID.

Brian, I'll ask the tech out here again specifically whose bulbs he's using and where he got them.  I know they're a good match to your light as I've seen it lit up at night.  The Harley HID will apparently be a little "less blue" than this HID; but I'm guessing they'd still be pretty close.  This is what the bulbs from the eBay seller look like against mine.

Brian, you even want to mess with these?  I can send them back while we look for another option.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2007, 01:11:55 AM »

And I had such high hopes. :nixweiss:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2007, 06:35:32 AM »

If anyone was interested in those 881 style lights mentioned earlier in this thread you might wish to reconsider.

They're advertised by their seller as being a good color match to an 8000k lumens HID light.  They're not.  They are a good bright bulb.  Brighter than the stock bulbs for a pretty good price.  So if you're interested in just a brighter bulb they still might be worth a little interest.  They're not a color match to the blue of a good HID light though.  At least not an 8000k HID.

Brian, I'll ask the tech out here again specifically whose bulbs he's using and where he got them.  I know they're a good match to your light as I've seen it lit up at night.  The Harley HID will apparently be a little "less blue" than this HID; but I'm guessing they'd still be pretty close.  This is what the bulbs from the eBay seller look like against mine.

Brian, you even want to mess with these?  I can send them back while we look for another option.

Don, as long as you can get a full credit, go ahead and return them.  Those suckers aren't even close to the same as your headlight.  I'm pretty sure the 5,150K Luminics that I'm currently running are closer to my headlight than those are, or would be.  They don't hardly look blue at all. :confused5:  I'll have the bike back home for the season tonight and will snap a shot in the dark similar to the one you posted, so we have something to compare.  I'm thinking the 6,000K Luminics may be all I need. :nixweiss:

Thanks for trying!!!!!!

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2007, 09:19:52 AM »

Got the Xtralights HID light installed yesterday.  What a difference.  Takes most of the challenges out of night driving when you can see!  Love the headlight!  Now for the spots...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2007, 01:08:41 PM »

Don, as long as you can get a full credit, go ahead and return them.  Those suckers aren't even close to the same as your headlight.  I'm pretty sure the 5,150K Luminics that I'm currently running are closer to my headlight than those are, or would be.  They don't hardly look blue at all. :confused5:  I'll have the bike back home for the season tonight and will snap a shot in the dark similar to the one you posted, so we have something to compare.  I'm thinking the 6,000K Luminics may be all I need. :nixweiss:

Thanks for trying!!!!!!

I was also disappointed in their visual impression.  They are nice bright lights; they've got that going for them.  I think the stockers were 37.5w if I remember correctly.  These are rated at 55w on the bulb but seem noticably brighter than the 50w 886 bulbs they replaced.  But they sure ain't blue.

I actually had high hopes too.  The glass bulb has a definite and pronounced blue tint.  And it's not a painted on thing.  It's natural in the glass.  Fire them up though and, pttttttthhhhhhhhh.

Guess it was worth the experiment.  Maybe there's a reason the Luminics cost more  :nixweiss: ?  They're not offered in an 8000k color temp.  I'm assuming their 6000k offering is the next best thing to try though.  I'll guinea pig them myself before sucking anyone else in next time though.  Sorry guys......  :oops:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2007, 01:13:58 PM »

Got the Xtralights HID light installed yesterday.  What a difference.  Takes most of the challenges out of night driving when you can see!  Love the headlight!  Now for the spots...

Glad it performs well for you Ernie.  Have had mine out a couple of evenings too.  Like you, very pleased with the performance.  With the dual bulb housing on my red bike the first thing that took a bit of getting used to was the tigher focus of the high beam.  This new light stays pretty tightly focused.  It shoots a long tight beam down the road.

No one blinked back at the high beam either.  Even after I'd adjusted the lights up (they needed a lot of upward adjustment compared to the originals).  With this long narrow beam I may even alter my spots to work on high or low beam now.  That long beam with spots kicking out sideways may be the ultimate solution.

Glad yours works well too.  For a relatively simple installation these are a nice improvement.  You even got off better than I did pricewise.  The dual bulb only needs the one ignitor so you saved some cash  :2vrolijk_21: .

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2007, 01:26:48 PM »

No one blinked back at the high beam either.  Even after I'd adjusted the lights up (they needed a lot of upward adjustment compared to the originals).  With this long narrow beam I may even alter my spots to work on high or low beam now.  That long beam with spots kicking out sideways may be the ultimate solution.

Don, the cut off line on the HID's is great and does allow for a major adjustment up to get the maximum distance on low beam.  I'll check my spots as well, I put in some from NAPA last year that were supposed to be blue, but as I recall they look yellow next to the HID.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2007, 01:38:32 PM »

Don, the cut off line on the HID's is great and does allow for a major adjustment up to get the maximum distance on low beam.  I'll check my spots as well, I put in some from NAPA last year that were supposed to be blue, but as I recall they look yellow next to the HID.

Roger, especially after bringing these up to an appropriate adjustment I can't say enough about the improvement.  My original lights were so poor (and the dual bulb housing was an improvement over the original single bulb housing) that on a dark night no matter how straight the road might be I'd only be comfortable doing 50 mph unless there was other traffic in front of me.  Just couldn't see any farther than that.  Curves would sneak up on you in a hell of a hurry.

Had tried the dual bulb housing.  Had put H9 high beams in to replace both bulbs.  It was just never very good.  Now, in one immediate change, it's finally good.  No longer do the lights from the car 6 car lengths behind shoot farther than mine do.  This was a good change.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2007, 01:50:45 PM »

Roger, especially after bringing these up to an appropriate adjustment I can't say enough about the improvement.  My original lights were so poor (and the dual bulb housing was an improvement over the original single bulb housing) that on a dark night no matter how straight the road might be I'd only be comfortable doing 50 mph unless there was other traffic in front of me.  Just couldn't see any farther than that.  Curves would sneak up on you in a hell of a hurry.

Had tried the dual bulb housing.  Had put H9 high beams in to replace both bulbs.  It was just never very good.  Now, in one immediate change, it's finally good.  No longer do the lights from the car 6 car lengths behind shoot farther than mine do.  This was a good change.

It is difficult to explain to anyone that doesn't see it the change made by an HID light.  In other threads folks have questioned the choice of an expensive light.  If you only need it once and it saves you tail hide by picking up a critter an extra 100 plus feet out or a car pulling out of a driveway on a country road or whatever, that is priceless to me.

Anyone that is ever on the road at dusk or night time could not make a better investment for safety to me.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2007, 07:41:47 PM »

It is difficult to explain to anyone that doesn't see it the change made by an HID light.  In other threads folks have questioned the choice of an expensive light.  If you only need it once and it saves you tail hide by picking up a critter an extra 100 plus feet out or a car pulling out of a driveway on a country road or whatever, that is priceless to me.

Anyone that is ever on the road at dusk or night time could not make a better investment for safety to me.

I totally agree.  It was hard for me to swallow $300+ for a headlight but now that I have it anything else would be like going back to an 88 cubic inch engine.  It's that much of a difference!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2007, 07:55:44 PM »

ok, i scored a dual bulb setup. so i'm still considering this.

Don you said you originally did 2 H-9's before going HID but once HID you have 1 H-9 and 1 H-11.  why not use 2 H-9 HIDs?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2007, 09:23:39 PM »

Repeat of Don's setup so we can get 'em side-by-side:

And, my H-D HID headlight and Luminics 5150K 881 bulbs in the spots:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 09:28:37 PM by 103tHunDer »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2007, 09:26:40 PM »

brian, looks like your bulb is "whiter" than don's
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.