Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using clay bars  (Read 356 times)

Farm boy

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IN

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
Using clay bars
« on: April 21, 2019, 01:19:39 PM »

I've got a flhrsei2, and it's apart. I am wondering what is the proper way to use a clay bar ? Is there anything I need to do prior to the clay bar ? Aside from washing the bike.

iski

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Using clay bars
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 01:27:12 PM »

I always wash/rinse the bike thoroughly.  Make sure ALL dirt is removed.  The clay bar works by picking up contaminants in/on the paint.  If the surface is dirty to begin with, the clay bar will pick up dirt particles and scratch the paint. Go slow, use a detailer wax to lubricate generously, and choose small areas to concentrate on until smooth - then move on to the next.

Suggest watching an online video or 3 to get the idea.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 04:40:23 PM »

Need to add this: If you drop the clay bar & it hits the ground, throw it away, do not try to re-use it.  It will pick up too much dirt & will scratch paint, best to start again with a new piece of clay.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 05:15:17 PM »

What he said + you will know you are using enough lube (Claybar slides easily) or to little (Claybar drags & pulls). As the bar picks up contaminates fold and roll the clay to obtain a clean side. X2 on dropping them. When done store them in a zip-lok bag and give a light spray inside the bag before sealing it to prevent bar sticking to bag.

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 24 queries.