Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: Freedom Pipes  (Read 46427 times)

onevtwinlover

• Junior CVO Member
  • It's all about the ride
Re: Freedom Pipes
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2004, 10:27:01 AM »

Glad to hear everything went great [smiley=beerchug.gif] I wish I could have done it the way you did.  It was a bitch replacing the brake lever without removing the front header on my bike.  The bikes do sound totally "SICK" don't they and the power is awesome.  Try crackin that throttle full open at about 4,000 rpm's through a couple of gears.........if you ain't grinning ear to ear  [smiley=laugh.gif] you gotta be dead or something!!! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2004, 10:36:45 AM »

Twolane, Have to disagree with you on all the Kurakyn stuff you have on your bike, Everything you mentioned you installed on your bike looks cheap to me and decreases the value of your bike. A stock bike vs your Kurakyn equipped bike.. No comparison, the stock bike would be worth more to most people. But that is my (and based on a Hooters dinner poll) the opinion of the guys I ride with. Kurakyn stuff is for Jap bikes.  Flashy lights, oversize rubbers etc. have no place on a HD. There are better, brighter brake lamps out there, Radiantz being one, Adjure another. I will continue to do without Kurakyn Jap bike parts on mine.
JUST my 2/cents.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2004, 11:23:47 AM »

Twolane, Have to disagree with you on all the Kurakyn stuff

That's fine DW.  Your opinion as it applies to your own bike is perfectly legitimate.  It bears no impact on my choices though.  Furthermore, that's the way it should be as you wouldn't dress your bike based on my tastes or choices.  Nor would I expect you too.

Now, as for the Hooters round table, I have to question the judgement of any group of guys that has a choice at Hooters of watching the girls or talking about Kuryakyn and then chooses Kuryakyn....   Just seems a poor bit of prioritizing [smiley=7.gif]

Having dressed out a few bikes over the years I've not had the resale or other valuation loss you're concerned about when having used non-HD pieces.  I'm inclinded to pick and choose from various manufacturers to find pieces I like for reasons of both quality and appearance.  HD simply doesn't cover all the bases.  

The most recent bike I sold was a 2000 Road King this past summer.  Really nicely dressed out and a great comfortable all day ride too.  There's even a picture here on the site somewhere.

It had just about 60k miles on it when I sold, still brought $3500 over what it cost new, and sold in two weeks time from the day it was first listed.   That was with a few Kuryakyn pieces and parts from other suppliers but no internal drivetrain modifications .   The important thing was that all the choices were of a satisfactory quality and style for what they were used for and well executed.  It's about exercising skill and judgement in the application of the parts from various manufacturers far more than it is that any given part may have come from a supplier that also manufacturers for another brand.

It's true Kuryakyn makes pieces for metric bikes.  They also make pieces for the HDs.  They also offer some that are (basically) interchangeable.  Having said that, some of the OEMs supplying parts for Harley Davidson also make parts for metric bikes.  So the fact of varied manufacturer sourcing is really not a determinant of style, quality or intent.  

For that matter the bike has (in a way) got Chevy parts on it too.  But I don't think the Delphi electronics are going to hurt the value either.  Corbin makes seats for metric bikes (more than they do for HD bikes).  That doesn't mean my rear end doesn't consider the Corbin saddle to be a far superior piece than what was for me the relatively uncomfortable stock seat.  So the sourcing issue just doesn't carry a lot of weight with me.

It's about making good choices and exercising them correctly.  If you do that the bike holds up, both mechanically and financially.  If you piece together something that doesn't look like it had any concept of theme or totality it's going to lose value.  But that would apply to a bunch of mismatched HD parts as well.  The skill, therefore, is the riders hands and choices as he makes good or bad decisions; not in avoiding any particular supplier just because they happen to also supply for other brands of bikes.

onevtwinlover

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2004, 12:11:03 PM »

Geezee...........maybe we should start a "Kuryakyn" thread [smiley=shocked2.gif]

mfgreen

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2004, 12:21:29 PM »

Geezee...........maybe we should start a "Kuryakyn" thread [smiley=shocked2.gif]
http://www.kuryakyn.com/graphics/nav/homepage_rev_03.gif

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2004, 12:23:54 PM »

Might be a good idea.  Guess there could be more than one lost soul out there who can't spell Kuryakan or figure out that a Wisconson Manufacturer using predominately US labor is not an entity of Japan or Taiwan. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2004, 01:03:56 PM »

Glad to hear everything went great [smiley=beerchug.gif] I wish I could have done it the way you did.

mfgreen

« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2004, 01:24:32 PM »

You're so right on the pedal replacement! I had my front header off when I did it and it was still a bit of a pain to get the cotter key out. And i think i'm still grinnin' from my short ride yesterday. [smiley=7.gif]

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2004, 02:22:12 PM »

Now, as for the Hooters round table, I have to question the judgement of any group of guys that has a choice at Hooters of watching the girls or talking about Kuryakyn and then chooses Kuryakyn....
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

RRSteve

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2004, 02:25:16 PM »

At the risk of taking some bashing, I use the parts and pieces that appeal to me and do the job I ask of them regardless of brand or heritage.  Most if not all Harley dealers carry many parts made outside the USA. When at various rallies and meets, including Bike Week there is a large percentage of bikes with the ISO pegs made by K******* (insert the dirty word). For a long time, if you wanted the heel rest on your Dyna the ISO set was the only game in town. Harley is the only brand of street bike I have ever owned, but before I bought my first bagger (the 05 SEEG) I looked long and hard at the Honda Gold Wing.  The seating combined with the pedal positions were very cramped for me and my 6'1" frame, and the real deal breaker was the resale value compared to the Harley.  I love Harleys, but again I chose what appealed to me and was the most likely to be what I wanted in a touring bike. If I had in fact found that Honda, BMW, Triumph, or whatever brand it might have been suited me better, that is what I would have bought, although admittedly it would have had to be a much, much, better fit for me to buy it over the Harley. I was actually relieved to have found a couple of valid reasons for me to not like the Gold Wing.  Motorcycle and parts brands, like automobiles, and many other things we need or want must be the one that fits what the individual that is buying the product needs or likes, independent of what others say or think about your choices. I try to find the good things to say about others choices, and if I can't find anything good to say I am sure they really don't need or want my critical opinions.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2004, 03:52:37 PM »

That's fine DW.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 04:05:49 PM by 103tHunDer »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2004, 01:27:08 AM »

I have the Hooker slip on's, can I use that with the freedom headers?

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2004, 01:25:17 PM »

WeCVO:

The Freedom headers have three three step up's 1 7/8's, 2 in. and 2 1/4. I think the Hooker's are probably 2 in. diameter.

onevtwinlover

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2004, 03:01:13 PM »

I'm guessing the tuning wouldn't be correct if anything was installed other then the entire freedom setup.  Besides, I believe the muffler and baffle act as a four step in the system.

MAS

• Full CVO Member
  • LO and SLO
« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2004, 04:30:46 PM »

If you want to use that JAP looking Kurakyn on your 30K bike go ahead. But to me it's just cheap JAP crap.

I saw this sticker on my SEEG's front rotor. Looks like the Motor Company cheapened my ride up before I had a chance too [smiley=laugh.gif].
05 Green FLHTCSE2
Vance and Hines Dresser Duals
SE performance mufflers Kerker Mikuni baffles
SE High flow kit
HD Race tuner
Progressive 440 shocks
02 Big Dog Bulldog
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.