Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bluetooth Headsets  (Read 1478 times)

DougM53

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

Bluetooth Headsets
« on: May 05, 2020, 09:49:10 PM »

I despise the Bluetooth headsets.  Is there a way to convert to wired?  Batteries die on long trips, connection issues, etc.  never had an issue with the hard wired ones.
2018 CVO Limited

261mrwizard

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Bluetooth Headsets
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:18:08 AM »

We have a 2018 CVO Limited and have learned to live with the wireless headsets, although they will never be as good as wired as far as sound quality. As far as I know, you would have to rewire the bike for the wired headsets and have the radio reflashed. What issues are you having with the wireless and do you typically ride one up or two up?

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 12:39:09 PM »

I despise the Bluetooth headsets.  Is there a way to convert to wired?  Batteries die on long trips, connection issues, etc.  never had an issue with the hard wired ones.
2018 CVO Limited
WOW :(! Just upgraded my 2015 FLTRUSE to the new 6.5GTS and was considering converting to wireless by installing a WHIM and a pair of wireless headsets. What stopped me is I see that the only Bluetooth wireless headset available for our half-helmets (the EXPAND headset) is not compatible with the GTS radio :nixweiss: Perhaps a rethink to sticking with wired headsets is in order!

If your 2018 didn't come with the 7 pin wired connector, as 261mrwizard indicated, you'd need to install one on your gas tank console and if you ride 2 up, on your TourPak as well.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

Glenncarp

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 05:20:31 PM »

2018 CVO Limited

Watch this:

You need to pull pins from the harness to get the 7 pin to work, better be HUGE difference to go through this headache. I contemplated so I could bypass Whim and use the Sena freewire but after watching the video, spending money on the harness and all to go backwards in technology, I decided to wait for Android Auto and connect BT headset to phone speak to Android Auto which kicks the hell out of anything HD has to offer as far as technology, ease of use and voice recognition. .

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 07:22:56 PM »

2018 CVO Limited

what headset and how are you using them?

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 07:38:24 PM »

We have a 2018 CVO Limited and have learned to live with the wireless headsets, although they will never be as good as wired as far as sound quality. As far as I know, you would have to rewire the bike for the wired headsets and have the radio reflashed. What issues are you having with the wireless and do you typically ride one up or two up?

I have a 2020 CVO Limited which came with the Harley Sena 30K headset and it sounds great. I used to have a 2017 Ultra Limited with the wired headset (J&M) and to me they sound the same.
Maybe the wireless headset sounds better with the GTS system?

DougM53

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 08:45:11 PM »

We use them to listen to music, CB, and intercom.  Been back to the dealer more than once.  Updated the software, taped off the front of the microphone etc.  overall just not happy with them.

261mrwizard

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 10:57:32 PM »

We have found that it works better for us to turn the HD intercom off and use the Senas unit to unit for intercom. The intercom would key up way too easy, especially when moderately windy. we use the HD system for music and CB.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 06:50:08 AM »

What is sad was the old wired boom mic worked fine with a half helmet.  You could use CB, and Phone and people could hear you with no wind noise.  Now we are using much higher technology but no one can understand a word you days due to the wind noise with the HD 20S or HD 30K.   

Why can't they make either of these not susceptible to wind like their old wired mic?
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 04:56:35 PM »

What is sad was the old wired boom mic worked fine with a half helmet.  You could use CB, and Phone and people could hear you with no wind noise.  Now we are using much higher technology but no one can understand a word you days due to the wind noise with the HD 20S or HD 30K.   

Why can't they make either of these not susceptible to wind like their old wired mic?
I use the 20s with a half helmet and people I speak with on the phone while riding my 19 CVO SG say they can’t tell I’m on a motorcycle. I did tape over the outward ambient mic, but only to reduce wind noise in my speakers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 03:50:21 PM »

I use the 20s with a half helmet and people I speak with on the phone while riding my 19 CVO SG say they can’t tell I’m on a motorcycle. I did tape over the outward ambient mic, but only to reduce wind noise in my speakers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You've caught my interest GB506. As the 20S is designed for full and 3/4 helmets only and there's no mounting area for the speakers in a half helmet, how are you handling that? Or are you using earbuds instead? How about posting a photo of your setup :P
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 04:01:35 PM »

You've caught my interest GB506. As the 20S is designed for full and 3/4 helmets only and there's no mounting area for the speakers in a half helmet, how are you handling that? Or are you using earbuds instead? How about posting a photo of your setup :P
I’ve been a full face guy most of my life so to me, this is a half helmet.... but I’ve been known to be wrong before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 04:32:21 PM »

This is the model I have: https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/-1-sun-shield-j03-helmet

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 05:22:23 PM »

This is the model I have: https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/-1-sun-shield-j03-helmet
Okay …...thanks. I see where this half helmet is equipped with zip-off speaker pockets which makes it compatible with the 20S.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 20 queries.