Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Do you rat-a-tat-tat-tat?  (Read 12192 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Do you rat-a-tat-tat-tat?
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:04:54 AM »

I was hoping the new motor, 07 110", would have a quieter top-end than the '99 I've got. Nope!

Especially annoying is the 1,800 - 2,400 RPM range. All I hear is rat-a-tat-tat rat-a-tat-tat bouncing off of the fairing and right up to my ears. Peeses me off I say.

I saw in another thread an issue of rocker box clearance on the 110's, and Dandy Don's reference to that possibly being the issue.

Here's a couple of quetions for y'all.....

1) Do you hear it too?
2) What RPM range is it the worst?
3) Have you found a way to eliminate it other than louder speaker / pipe combinations?
4) Should I just suck it up and go away?

Chief

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Do you rat-a-tat-tat-tat?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:19:39 AM »

I had lots of noises that were lubricated away when I switched to Mob 1.  I still have Harley noises.

Syn 3 didn't seem to lubricate as well and the little gremlins with the hammers were throughout the beast.  If you haven't made a change it would be an inexpensive and quick way to possibly reduce the annoying noises without getting deeper into the motor issues. IMHO

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 09:25:10 AM »

I had lots of noises that were lubricated away when I switched to Mob 1.  I still have Harley noises.

Syn 3 didn't seem to lubricate as well and the little gremlins with the hammers were throughout the beast.  If you haven't made a change it would be an inexpensive and quick way to possibly reduce the annoying noises without getting deeper into the motor issues. IMHO

I switched to Amsoil at 500 miles. Still got them rat-a-tat-tatters.

Chief

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 09:31:59 AM »

I switched to Amsoil at 500 miles. Still got them rat-a-tat-tatters.

Chief

OK, looks like you're going diving, bummer.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »

I have them too, right around the 2000-2500 range and I am running Mobil1.
I read a while back on this site that one fella had the rocker arms banging the
covers on his 110.  Not too pleasant to hear that.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 10:57:56 AM »

Not having the 110 I've not had to chase this (or the overheating or.... well, never mind).  But it'd seem this clearance issue is something you could feel or hear directly as well.  While the engine is still cool enough to do so lay a hand on the rocker boxes and see if you feel the contact resonate through the box.  Alternatively might try laying a stick, long socket extension or other solid object (hey, even a stethoscope) on the rocker box and put an ear against the other end of it.  If there's rocker arm contact it ought to sound like a chorus line bringing its heels down.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »

Not having the 110 I've not had to chase this (or the overheating or.... well, never mind).  But it'd seem this clearance issue is something you could feel or hear directly as well.  While the engine is still cool enough to do so lay a hand on the rocker boxes and see if you feel the contact resonate through the box.  Alternatively might try laying a stick, long socket extension or other solid object (hey, even a stethoscope) on the rocker box and put an ear against the other end of it.  If there's rocker arm contact it ought to sound like a chorus line bringing its heels down.

Just the way it goes around here. When I had the box tops off doing the 12-point thing, the clearance issue had not surfaced. Not two weeks after it all gets put back together, the news comes out. Figures.

Chief

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 11:08:01 AM »

That's got to be enough to make one say a bad word or three.  Off and apart and never a reason to think to turn them upside down and really look.  Ouch....

Hey, at least the tank comes off easy on these things.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 11:15:18 AM »

That's got to be enough to make one say a bad word or three.  Off and apart and never a reason to think to turn them upside down and really look.  Ouch....

Hey, at least the tank comes off easy on these things.

But Daaadddddddd........

I don't want tooooooooo..............

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 11:29:37 AM »

But Daaadddddddd........

I don't want tooooooooo..............

There's got to be some way to rationalize this.  Surely there's an evening where Pinkie has some nasty Jacqueline Suzanne (sic?) type movie on or something and a little "guy time" is mandated?  Or.... maybe......   you just need a little more practice polishing those bolt heads  :nixweiss: ?

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

• CVO1: 2012 SE7 (10/15/11)
    • CVO2: 2007 UC-110 SE
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 11:35:12 AM »

I was hoping the new motor, 07 110", would have a quieter top-end than the '99 I've got. Nope!

Especially annoying is the 1,800 - 2,400 RPM range. All I hear is rat-a-tat-tat rat-a-tat-tat bouncing off of the fairing and right up to my ears. Peeses me off I say.

I saw in another thread an issue of rocker box clearance on the 110's, and Dandy Don's reference to that possibly being the issue.

1) Do you hear it too?
3) Have you found a way to eliminate it other than louder speaker / pipe combinations

Chief

Same as you. Mine has SE HD springs. I ask the dealer, he pulled it apart, 3200 miles no scars on the underside of the boxes, IE no clearance issues..
Again my dealer and MOCO going the extra mile to satisify their customers.

They could have just said its normal, but they pulled it apart to check. :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 11:39:48 AM »

Same as you. Mine has SE HD springs. I ask the dealer, he pulled it apart, 3200 miles no scars on the underside of the boxes, IE no clearance issues..
Again my dealer and MOCO going the extra mile to satisify their customers.

They could have just said its normal, but they pulled it apart to check. :2vrolijk_21:

That's the real pain in the arse with problems like this.  Anecdotal reports of several.  Reports that are obviously credible.  So you really do know it's going on.  Then your ears and brain start messing with you.  Sooner or later you've got to check just to avoid the creepie crawlies every time you ride.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 08:01:51 PM »

1) Do you hear it too?
3) Have you found a way to eliminate it other than louder speaker / pipe combinations?

Chief
 i have the same noice. i have not asked harley about it . As soon as my bars are done i will bring the bike in and ask about the problem . My bike was del in Oct so I think this could be the problem.  Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 08:30:38 PM »

Chief
 i have the same noice. i have not asked harley about it . As soon as my bars are done i will bring the bike in and ask about the problem . My bike was del in Oct so I think this could be the problem.  Billy

Thanks Billy. I'll be interested in what they have to say. I'm guess ing it's going to be something like "They all do that."

Chief

cigarmike

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 08:58:08 PM »

My '06 does it too, sounds like its coming from top end.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 10:58:36 AM by Mike L »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.