Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: iPod Solution that Actually Works  (Read 6177 times)

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
iPod Solution that Actually Works
« on: April 03, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »

I have done a decent amount of upgrading to the stereo on my 04 SEEG over the years so that I can hear my iPod.  The sound quality of the iPod being connected from the head phone jack is pretty poor.  I orginally added some Hog Tunes, but I kept blowing them from turning the volume up to loud.  Then I added the Hawg Wired Amp and a set of the Hawg Wired premium speakers and the iPod still didn't sound very good.  Compared to a CD the sound quality was horrible.  I was ready to give up on the iPod. 

I realized I was trying to make something sound better after I had degraded the signal so I started researching on how to get a better signal from the ipod.  I started looking at options to use the 30 pin connector on the bottom of the iPod for the audio out.  This is a line level output so I was hopping that it would eliminate the sound quality issues.  I purchased a PIE UNI-POD on ebay for $70.  I installed it last week and wow what a difference.  Now my iPod actually sounds better than my cds that I play.  I can hear the stereo with the ipod playing at all speeds with ear plugs in and the short stock windshield.  It has a variable output that adjusts with a dial on the unit.  I played with it a little bit, but I actually set it to where it was set when I opened the box.  The other great thing about the PIE adapter is that it charges while it plays so I only have one cable coming out of my fairing now.  I also did the aux input upgrade of adding a second input in the back of the radio.  The PIE unit fit right next to the amp on top of the stock radio.  I used the same power sources as the amp and have no noise problems.  I would recommend this to anyone that wants better sound from their iPod.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: iPod Solution that Actually Works
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 11:36:53 AM »

Sounds like a great interface.   :worthless:

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »

I use a couple of PIE adapters in my truck and a car since they had an AUX button on the radio but no AUX jack...decent products, does what it advertises.

This in conjuction with the rear AUX input mod should be a nice solution.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 01:57:16 PM »

I have done a decent amount of upgrading to the stereo on my 04 SEEG over the years so that I can hear my iPod.  The sound quality of the iPod being connected from the head phone jack is pretty poor.  I orginally added some Hog Tunes, but I kept blowing them from turning the volume up to loud.  Then I added the Hawg Wired Amp and a set of the Hawg Wired premium speakers and the iPod still didn't sound very good.  Compared to a CD the sound quality was horrible.  I was ready to give up on the iPod. 

I realized I was trying to make something sound better after I had degraded the signal so I started researching on how to get a better signal from the ipod.  I started looking at options to use the 30 pin connector on the bottom of the iPod for the audio out.  This is a line level output so I was hopping that it would eliminate the sound quality issues.  I purchased a PIE UNI-POD on ebay for $70.  I installed it last week and wow what a difference.  Now my iPod actually sounds better than my cds that I play.  I can hear the stereo with the ipod playing at all speeds with ear plugs in and the short stock windshield.  It has a variable output that adjusts with a dial on the unit.  I played with it a little bit, but I actually set it to where it was set when I opened the box.  The other great thing about the PIE adapter is that it charges while it plays so I only have one cable coming out of my fairing now.  I also did the aux input upgrade of adding a second input in the back of the radio.  The PIE unit fit right next to the amp on top of the stock radio.  I used the same power sources as the amp and have no noise problems.  I would recommend this to anyone that wants better sound from their iPod.

sounds like a great upgrade. Do you have any pix of install or completed project? john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 02:19:38 PM »

interesting...
i too would like to see some pictures and maybe a link to the product?

TIA

Scot

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 02:50:21 PM »

interesting...
i too would like to see some pictures and maybe a link to the product?

TIA

Scot

http://www.pie.net/store/index.cfm?action=ViewDetails&ItemID=543

(it was in the first post, weinerhead)

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 03:30:33 PM »

http://www.pie.net/store/index.cfm?action=ViewDetails&ItemID=543

(it was in the first post, weinerhead)
Don,
since I seem to be following you on the website, did Terry ever install the Aux to back of the 06 radio and did he use this? John
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 03:57:35 PM »

Don,
since I seem to be following you on the website, did Terry ever install the Aux to back of the 06 radio and did he use this? John

I remember him sending his radio to Jim for the aux jack installation (at least I think I remember that).  When I saw his bike I don't remember IPod hardware hanging on it though.  He's got one of the Garmin units with MP3 capability though.  So may be using the aux jack with that as a source.

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 06:22:44 PM »

Yes I know  :worthless:

Unfortunately I did not take any photos when I had it apart last week.  Since I don't have much going on tonight maybe i will take the fairing off and snap a few shots.  There is an option with this unit to allow the iPod to charge for 30 minutes after the ignition is turned off.  I thought that was a good idea at first, but I figure why do I need to charge it when I am not using it.  While I am in there I am going to connect the wire that stops the unit from charging after the bike shuts off. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 06:42:37 PM »

Yes I know  :worthless:

Unfortunately I did not take any photos when I had it apart last week.  Since I don't have much going on tonight maybe i will take the fairing off and snap a few shots.  There is an option with this unit to allow the iPod to charge for 30 minutes after the ignition is turned off.  I thought that was a good idea at first, but I figure why do I need to charge it when I am not using it.  While I am in there I am going to connect the wire that stops the unit from charging after the bike shuts off. 

If it's not charging the hand unit after the bike is shut down is there any other reason the unit would need an unswitched power source.  Not that it's ever likely to be a big deal.  I just try to avoid as many unswitched devices as I can.  Like to know something is actually off when it's turned off when it can be.

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 06:12:11 PM »

If it's not charging the hand unit after the bike is shut down is there any other reason the unit would need an unswitched power source.  Not that it's ever likely to be a big deal.  I just try to avoid as many unswitched devices as I can.  Like to know something is actually off when it's turned off when it can be.

Twolanerider
I spoke to PIE (the manufacturer of the Uni-Pod) and the only reason it has a constant power lead is so that it can charge when the ignition is off.  I agree with you in not liking things that are hooked into power when the ignition is off so I decided to rewire it today. 

I combined the constant power and switched power from the Uni-Pod into the acc switch on the dash.  Now I can control if the Uni-Pod has power or not.  I thought this was a good idea in case I get caught in the rain.  I can power it down and not worry about the 30 pin iPod connector shorting out the Uni-Pod.

It only took me about an hour of looking at the wiring diagram for the bike to make sure I spliced into the correct wire.  For those that are interested here is a picture of the ACC wire that I spliced into.  It is the solid orange wire coming from the main grey wiring harness.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 07:45:10 PM by h2oski »

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 06:14:26 PM »

Here is a picture of the two power leads (Red and Yellow) from the Uni-Pod Connected to the ACC Switched power lead.

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 06:17:14 PM »

Here is a picture of the Uni-Pod installed next to the amp on top of the radio.

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 06:20:29 PM »

Now I just need to tuck away all the wires and I it will be done.  I will post a picture of how the wire that connects to the iPod comes through the fairing and how the iPod mounts on the handle bars.  Once I am done eating dinner that is. 

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 07:26:31 PM »

Here is a picture after everything was all bundled up and ready for the fairing to go back on.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 24 queries.