Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48

Author Topic: Zumo Tips/Tricks...  (Read 142615 times)

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
Re: Zumo Tips/Tricks...
« Reply #660 on: July 08, 2009, 09:21:54 AM »

Just got off the phone with Garmin, you must have the Zumo connected to the computer.  Call the 800 number above, option 1 (auto) and have a tech support transfer you to a level 2 support tech (no direct number) and they will remote into your computer to delete the correct map files.  Tech said having both maps on the Zumo could cause memory errors and also give you duplicates. I did receive a message that the new map exceeded the memory on my unit.

Wait time today was terrible, I will try tomorrow at home with the unit connected and post the results.

Ride safe!
Well, I was on hold with Garmin for a little over an hour, had tech support remote control my laptop, and he deleted some files to free up some space and then reinstalled the 2010 map update which took a while.  After the map completed the install I still have 2 maps listed on the Zumo.  

Tonight I will backup the Zumo to DVD and install to the SD card. I asked Tech support if there are any disadvantages (speed) installing the 2010 map to the SD card and he said no.  Since installing the map update seems to be a space issue and the Zumo only has 1.2 GB space available.

I'll post the results when done. Ride safe all!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #661 on: July 08, 2009, 02:17:20 PM »

Just an FYI...
  I did a lot of upgrade work on my Zumo 550 this week getting ready for the GTG in Oregon. I thought that some of the info might be of use to someone.

I jumped on the bandwagon for Lifetime maps. Here's my current config:
Software Version 4.70
Audio Version 2.30
GPS SW Version 3.00
Bluetooth SW Version 3.40

My map is
CN North America NT 2010.10
[1] CN Lower 49 States + PR NT 2010.10

Back on page 36 of this thread we were talking about converting routes from Microsoft Streets & Trips to routes on the Zumo. Since that time I have upgrade my S&T to the 2009 version. I downloaded a newer version of GPSBabel 1.3.6. I created 9 days of maps in S&T2009. I was able to convert them all to routes using GPSBabel 1.3.6 with no problems.

I bought a new SDHC 8GB card and loaded about 650 MP3's on it. I used Genre, Artist, Album, Song for the structure. It's working fine. It takes about 30-40 seconds to catalog the songs.

Last but not least, I added the new 10th Anniversary logo for my splash screen.

Bret
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #662 on: July 10, 2009, 09:48:05 AM »

Well, I was on hold with Garmin for a little over an hour, had tech support remote control my laptop, and he deleted some files to free up some space and then reinstalled the 2010 map update which took a while.  After the map completed the install I still have 2 maps listed on the Zumo.  

Tonight I will backup the Zumo to DVD and install to the SD card. I asked Tech support if there are any disadvantages (speed) installing the 2010 map to the SD card and he said no.  Since installing the map update seems to be a space issue and the Zumo only has 1.2 GB space available.

I'll post the results when done. Ride safe all!

Update;
1. I backed up my Zumo data to DVD along with the 2010 map update (and verified I was able to read the data on the DVD).
2. Deleted the map files on the Zumo.
3. Unplugged the Zumo from the laptop and checked map version (dimmed out).
4. Reconnected the Zumo to my laptop and waited until the laptop sees the Garmin.
5. Uninstalled the 2008 Map on my laptop.
6. Reinstalled the 2010 map update (this takes some time). The program needs internet access but after the install begins you can disconnect your internet connection. The map will continue to install but the Garmin Web pages with not be displayed.

This installed the map on the Zumo and not my SD card even though the SD card was plugged in.

Everything seems to be working fine and I still have all my old information.

Garmin tech didn't recommend this.

Ride Safe!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:50:14 AM by roadrunner »
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #663 on: July 10, 2009, 05:50:01 PM »

Update;
1. I backed up my Zumo data to DVD along with the 2010 map update (and verified I was able to read the data on the DVD).
2. Deleted the map files on the Zumo.
3. Unplugged the Zumo from the laptop and checked map version (dimmed out).
4. Reconnected the Zumo to my laptop and waited until the laptop sees the Garmin.
5. Uninstalled the 2008 Map on my laptop.
6. Reinstalled the 2010 map update (this takes some time). The program needs internet access but after the install begins you can disconnect your internet connection. The map will continue to install but the Garmin Web pages with not be displayed.

This installed the map on the Zumo and not my SD card even though the SD card was plugged in.

Everything seems to be working fine and I still have all my old information.

Garmin tech didn't recommend this.

Ride Safe!

Glad you got it all worked out. :2vrolijk_21: From what I've been reading the reason people are getting extra maps on their units is when they go to send a route to the device they are clicking on "maps" instead of just routes (or the default setting mapsource has picked).

Note To All: Whenever you are sending a route to your unit DON'T CLICK ON MAPS the Zumo already has the maps loaded. When you have the route(s) open that you want to send to the Zumo it should recognize and select by default what needs to be sent. For instance if there are waypoints in your route that should be automatically checked.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #664 on: July 28, 2009, 10:23:26 PM »

When I had my Tomtom there was a function on it that you could program the screen to shut down when there were no voice prompts, when the voice came back the screen illuminated.

I've played with my Zumo and read through the manual... is there a function like that on the 550?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #665 on: July 28, 2009, 11:25:01 PM »

Would the advantage of it shutting the screen off be to save power or to reduce the temptation for you to look at it while riding?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #666 on: July 29, 2009, 05:57:41 AM »

I'm not worried about the power, it's hard wired... it's a neat feature so that you don't have to look until you see the screen light up!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #667 on: July 29, 2009, 07:11:36 AM »

When I had my Tomtom there was a function on it that you could program the screen to shut down when there were no voice prompts, when the voice came back the screen illuminated.

I've played with my Zumo and read through the manual... is there a function like that on the 550?
Only thing thing that comes to mind is using one of the voices that isn't "TTS" but then you will not have text to speech anytime. Don't believe the Zumo has that feature like TomTom. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

helpingdad

« Reply #668 on: July 29, 2009, 09:46:28 PM »

my dad is getting ready to take a trip from indiana to seattle and back.

we were updating his garmin zumo today with the north america 2010 map update.

the update seemed to download & install correctly.

however, now, when we try to "find nearby places", it wont come up with any hotels.  even when we select lodging and motel/hotel.

2009 was fine, came up with ALL KINDS of stuff.   now, even when we select to use the 2009 maps, it wont show the hotels. 

can someone help?????

thanks!!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #669 on: July 29, 2009, 10:00:46 PM »

my dad is getting ready to take a trip from indiana to seattle and back.

we were updating his garmin zumo today with the north america 2010 map update.

the update seemed to download & install correctly.

however, now, when we try to "find nearby places", it wont come up with any hotels.  even when we select lodging and motel/hotel.

2009 was fine, came up with ALL KINDS of stuff.   now, even when we select to use the 2009 maps, it wont show the hotels. 

can someone help?????

thanks!!!
What City/State are you using trying to "find nearby places"? I know there was an issue w/Mapsource Version 6.15.6 when looking for campgrounds using "nearby places".

From GarminZumo Wikispaces (scroll down to "Bugs in MapSource 6.15.6").......

3. Find Nearest Places not Filtered by Category. (New in 6.15.6)
This version of MapSource does not properly filter categories when a Find Nearest Places is used. It displays some categories, but not all correctly. Test example, select lodging near where known campgrounds exist (e.g. Springfield, MO), Select sub-category of campgrounds/RV and none will show up. If CNNANT2008 or CNNANT2009 maps are used, the Find works.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

helpingdad

« Reply #670 on: July 29, 2009, 11:01:54 PM »

What City/State are you using trying to "find nearby places"? I know there was an issue w/Mapsource Version 6.15.6 when looking for campgrounds using "nearby places".

From GarminZumo Wikispaces (scroll down to "Bugs in MapSource 6.15.6").......

3. Find Nearest Places not Filtered by Category. (New in 6.15.6)
This version of MapSource does not properly filter categories when a Find Nearest Places is used. It displays some categories, but not all correctly. Test example, select lodging near where known campgrounds exist (e.g. Springfield, MO), Select sub-category of campgrounds/RV and none will show up. If CNNANT2008 or CNNANT2009 maps are used, the Find works.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

any city.  one that caught our eye first was dickinson, nd.  but bismarck and anywhere else you can think of wont show hotels.  but if you start to type in the name of the hotel - like oasis in dickinson - it will show it then. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #671 on: July 30, 2009, 07:14:37 AM »

any city.  one that caught our eye first was dickinson, nd.  but bismarck and anywhere else you can think of wont show hotels.  but if you start to type in the name of the hotel - like oasis in dickinson - it will show it then. 
Sounds like it might be associated w/the known bug in that mapsource version. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #672 on: July 30, 2009, 06:27:59 PM »

This morning when I responded I was getting ready for work and didn't have time to duplicate the parameters you noted to see what would happen. I just tried the city you mention and below is the screen shot of what I got...

I'm using Mapsource Ver 6.15.6 and City Navigator North America NT 2010.1 map. They seem to be showing up fine for me. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #673 on: July 30, 2009, 07:18:20 PM »

Now how is it that you get the city level detail?  I downloaded the Mapsource from the website, just to check out the routing capabilties, and the only thing I can see is the major highways??  Even then, it's all jagged, doesn't remotely look like the Googlemaps equivilent??  What gives?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #674 on: July 30, 2009, 07:23:48 PM »

Now how is it that you get the city level detail?  I downloaded the Mapsource from the website, just to check out the routing capabilties, and the only thing I can see is the major highways??  Even then, it's all jagged, doesn't remotely look like the Googlemaps equivilent??  What gives?

It looks like you only have the base maps that come with MapSource with no detail maps provides with City Navigator.

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 25 queries.