Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Immigration  (Read 7888 times)

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Immigration
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2007, 07:42:09 PM »

Candy, I'd never asked and it's none of my business if you prefer not to answer.  But when you gained American citizenship did you also retain your Canadian citizenship.  The US is one of just a few places that puts no (well, relatively few) strings on dual citizenship.  US law on the matter is in fact pointedly and pretty specifically moot.  Lots of interesting history there as to reasons why.  But we choose to allow pretty much without reservation (and accept the contradictions it sometimes creates) what many others do not allow so easily or at all.

the BIG string that the US puts on dual citizenship is TAXES.  The US is one of the only "civilized" countries that taxes worldwide income. If you work in Canada but are a US citizen, you pay taxes in the US (and Canada).  Whereas if you are canadian and live and work in the US, Canada doesn't tax you (except for any income generated in Canada).
i am pretty sure this is true. It is certainly true in other civilized countries (UK, Europe, New Zealand, Australia). It is one reason it makes it tough for a US citizen to work overseas.

Free

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2007, 11:19:54 PM »

funny chit but not carlin

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/carlingas.asp

I don't care who wrote it. It's spot on and can probably guaranty that it wasn't written by an illegal alien! ;) Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2007, 12:25:25 AM »

Whereas if you are canadian and live and work in the US, Canada doesn't tax you (except for any income generated in Canada).
i am pretty sure this is true. It is certainly true in other civilized countries (UK, Europe, New Zealand, Australia). It is one reason it makes it tough for a US citizen to work overseas.

Free

Not true, Revenue Canada taxes you @ the same rate as if you earned the money in Canada. There are some exemptions, but the only way to avoid paying Canadian income tax is to sell everything (you may keep your passport & one credit card).
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2007, 12:58:52 AM »

the BIG string that the US puts on dual citizenship is TAXES.  The US is one of the only "civilized" countries that taxes worldwide income.

That's not entirely true.  There's something called the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.  Unless the limit has changed you can exclude up to $78,000 of foreign earned income from your total earned income.  Lots of rules controlling it of course.  I only do what the accountant says on this kind of stuff.  The biggest rule governing how much you can exclude is your time of residence abroad. 

If you were abroad for the entire tax calendar year you can take the entire amount earned up to the $78k limit.  Less than the entire year abroad and you pro rate the amount based on the time you were overseas.  This doesn't include income from US Government sources to Americans working abroad.  It's only foreign income.

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2007, 12:23:32 PM »

That's not entirely true.  There's something called the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.  Unless the limit has changed you can exclude up to $78,000 of foreign earned income from your total earned income.  Lots of rules controlling it of course.  I only do what the accountant says on this kind of stuff.  The biggest rule governing how much you can exclude is your time of residence abroad. 

If you were abroad for the entire tax calendar year you can take the entire amount earned up to the $78k limit.  Less than the entire year abroad and you pro rate the amount based on the time you were overseas.  This doesn't include income from US Government sources to Americans working abroad.  It's only foreign income.

yes, there are some credits you can take in the US for income paid elsewhere but the fact of the matter is that the US is one of the few countries that tax worldwide income - and the credits wont offset the total amount of taxes paid.  I guess my only point is that if you were to move abroad and you didn't think you were going to come back (and you expected to generage income), you would be better off giving up your US citizenship, whereas in other civilized countries, if you moved to the US, you could simply keep your dual citizenship.

free

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2007, 11:19:22 PM »

I was sent the following from a good friend from this site that lives on the west coast.
As far as Chip and Nancy are concerned, what was said below 100 years ago still should apply today!

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt

Why we can't enforce this is beyond me. Why we allow people into this country who can't comprehend this is beyond me. But if the Liberals continue the approach they're taking now, we'll be destroying everything our men and women fought so hard to protect and preserve all these years. And that is an insult to all these brave men and women! I think they deserve better than that!

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2007, 12:35:27 PM »

I'm surpised CBS let Andy say this!

Andy Rooney said on "60 Minutes" a few weeks back:
I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except
numbers. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory
are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black
Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things
like the UnitedCaucasianCollege Fund, Cloud Magazine, White
Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what
happens...Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.
Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You
can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to
ban you from driving to the ball game.
I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, which is why
there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU
LISTENING MARTHA BURKE?
I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it
is an opinion.
I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others because they are
different, weird, or tick me off
When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70%
of the population is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the Law
of Probability.
I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes,
a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of
fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak
English!
My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the
countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.
I think the police should have every right to shoot your sorry ass if
you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand
the word "freeze" or "stop" in English, see the above lines.
I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are
qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans
or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket
store, or any other business.
We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives
in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come
over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to
their interpretations.
I don't hate the rich I don't pity the poor.
I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That
doesn't stop you from watching them..
I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and
continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next
operating system that's better, and put your name on the building.
It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take
a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when
necessary, and say "NO!"
I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't
pretend they are a political statement. And, please, stay home until
that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected
mouth as you serve me French fries!
I am sick of "Political Correctness." I know a lot of black people, and
not a single one of them was born in Africa; so how can they be
"African-Americans"? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around
saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great,
great, great grandfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America
and nowhere else
And if you don't like my point of view, tough...
I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG, OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, AND TO
THE REPUBLIC, FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE,
WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!
I was asked to send this on if I agree or delete if I don't. It is said
that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore I have a very hard time
understanding why there is such a problem in having "In God We Trust"
on
our money and having "God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. Why don't
we
just tell the 14% to Shut Up and BE QUIET!!!
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2007, 12:48:28 PM »

Right on Andy!!! :2vrolijk_21: Thanks for the Brett. Hoist! 8)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2007, 07:00:17 PM »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2007, 07:59:32 PM »

I went to Canada, I got stopped at the border. They asked me a bunch of question, have me fill out a form, confiscate my can of mace. I did all as instructed without protest.  I didn't holler at the top of my voice and demand the Canadian government allow me unfettered access to their country. I figure it's their country, they get to make the rules. I didn't stage a protest once I was out of sight of the border. I didn't offer to work for 1/3rd the going wage and take a job away from a Canadian citizen. I didn't scream at the Canadians and call them bigots and racists because they wouldn't let me enter their country illegally. I didn't demand free medical care when I pasted myself all over Highway 401.

What's wrong with me anyway ?

HarleyBee103

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTK
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2007, 10:23:11 PM »

BB,
And you're coming to Canada again - Nelson - yahoo!  A recent excerpt from our local rag -
"U.S. officers fined for firearms offences
Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Two off-duty American police officers were fined and lost their firearms after trying to bring the guns into Canada from Port Angeles on the Coho ferry.
The officers are legally allowed to carry the firearms, even off duty, as part of their jobs in Washington state, said Victoria police Sgt. Grant Hamilton.  However, they appeared unaware of Canada's gun laws, he said.
The firearms were seized and destroyed on June 5, he said. Each officer was fined $1,000."

See you in Nelson - without your weapons and we'll Hoist a pint (no pun intended Hoist)  :drink:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 12:40:12 AM by HarleyBee103 »
Nelson, BC (2007)
Sedona, AR (2008)
Hood River, OR (2009)

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2007, 06:31:56 AM »

Do both at the same time?

nice girly bike  :P

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2007, 11:19:31 AM »

Lemme Guess
                   It's a Jimmy Choo model Triumph ?

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2007, 12:03:05 PM »

Would not catch me in that!! Shoes are for your feet not your a#*.
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2007, 12:20:32 PM »

Portland OR just had a raid at the Del Monte plant and the mayor had the nerve to be upset because they took away 150 citizens. These were undocumented workers how did they become citizens overnight.  :soapbox: This really brothers me since my family growing up lived in Germany for 10 plus years and my father MADE us learn there language. When we traveled to other countries he made us learn that also before we left on vacations. I have since thanked my father for teaching us respect for other people and there countries. Geez when I got my internation drivers license I took it in German not English. What is wrong with us.
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 20 queries.