Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Head Gasket  (Read 28823 times)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Re: Head Gasket
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2007, 06:26:26 AM »

Well a week and a day ago, I talked to the dealer about my head gasket situation. While it's open...cams etc. He was going to research it. I said, ok, I won't bug you, when you find out something, call me, and I gave him my cell phone number. At the time I knew I'd messed up leaving it with him to make the next move. As most businesses do, he's ignoring it. Does it take over a week to figure out which cam and what parts he'll need? F@@k no. The squeeky wheel gets the grease. I guess it's time for me to squeek.

My dealership has always had a reputation of being good mechanics. They've also had a reputation of having that "We don't care" attitude. While I'd trust them to do the engine work, it worries me they don't do a simple thing like "follow through" with me.

Seems to me that's the way of the world anymore. In my business when I give someone a job or task, I get them to repeat it to me, ask them afterwards if in fact it was accomplished, and then look for myself to make sure it was accomplished. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a small project or a large one. I've got one supplier I buy $2,000,000 a year from and they force me to do the same way.

Maybe I just expect too much?
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2007, 08:04:57 AM »

HB,

My dealer here is EXACTLY the same.  If you give them any weasel-room, they will take it.  I have to nail them down on dates and times and then constantly follow up.  They do great work, but they are high maintenance. 

If it was not for that quirk, they would really be a great place.  Excellent selections, good floor people and mechanics, just a SH*TTY follow up ethic.

Its easier to do their homework for them than to ride all the way to the other side of Charlotte to deal with a better bunch.   :-\

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2007, 08:34:14 AM »

I hear ya loud and clear. My dealer is the same. Even when you're ready to buy a new bike, they have the attitude,,take it or leave it. I guess they are making so much money, if I don't buy it, the next person in the door will.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2007, 09:00:34 AM »

I hear ya loud and clear. My dealer is the same. Even when you're ready to buy a new bike, they have the attitude,,take it or leave it. I guess they are making so much money, if I don't buy it, the next person in the door will.

Stop waiting for them. Call me later. I'll tell you exactly what to tell them you expect under w.....ty. If you're doing cams too, I'll give you your choices. Mine's expecting me to use HD parts to maintain the w.....ty. So I am. Not the greatest cam choices, but I can live with it for another year and a half. With the 110" bottom end problems, last thing I want is a major failure in AR or SD and not be able to get a new engine. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2007, 01:49:27 PM »

What do you want me to call ya? I think Ochit fits about right! lol

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2007, 07:34:47 PM »

Well, the dreaded rear cyl head gasket leakage syndrome has hit my scoot.  Been watching it really close and could not see any sign for sure until after my trip last week to Traxxion Dynamics.  Definitly leaking just a little - exposed edges of gasket are browish, but not oil on the cyl fins.  Bike has 8,950 miles.  Problem - dealer service dept is way, way backed up and may not be able to get to it before I leave on Posse Ride in 3 weeks.  Trip will be over 7,000 miles.  So what, if any, problems am I likely to encounter if this cannot be repaired.  Any outright failures of the head gasket or is weeping what I can expect?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2007, 10:45:09 PM »

Well it's round two >:( :( >:( :(

I dropped the bike off last Tuesday to have them listen to it and tell me if they heard the same noises that I did. And to fix the cigarette lighter blowing fuses. Well, I called today to see if they had made any progress and the answer was that the head gasket had to be replaced again. They have to tear into it again. This time I may go for the cams.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2007, 11:05:59 PM »

Well it's round two >:( :( >:( :(

I dropped the bike off last Tuesday to have them listen to it and tell me if they heard the same noises that I did. And to fix the cigarette lighter blowing fuses. Well, I called today to see if they had made any progress and the answer was that the head gasket had to be replaced again. They have to tear into it again. This time I may go for the cams.
So the new improved head gasket didn't hold either? :nervous:

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2007, 11:24:08 PM »

So the new improved head gasket didn't hold either? :nervous:

That's what it looks like. I'm not sure yet if it is the front or rear. I'll head down tomorrow and find out. They have already replaced the cylinders so I don't know what else they'll do this time. As of this afternoon we were waiting for a call back from Tech Support as what to do next.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2007, 11:39:28 PM »

That's what it looks like. I'm not sure yet if it is the front or rear. I'll head down tomorrow and find out. They have already replaced the cylinders so I don't know what else they'll do this time. As of this afternoon we were waiting for a call back from Tech Support as what to do next.

If it's a one-off failure which do you suppose is more likely?  An installation error, the new head gasket just failed, or they actually used the old style when they did the repair?

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2007, 11:56:26 PM »

If it's a one-off failure which do you suppose is more likely?  An installation error, the new head gasket just failed, or they actually used the old style when they did the repair?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm fairly confident in this dealer. Usually no BS (I hope their not reading this). I saw the new gaskets as they went from the parts counter to the service department so I know they had then in stock. Now, if they used them ??? That being the case, I guess it must have been a failure.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2007, 11:58:27 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm fairly confident in this dealer. Usually no BS (I hope their not reading this). I saw the new gaskets as they went from the parts counter to the service department so I know they had then in stock. Now, if they used them ??? That being the case, I guess it must have been a failure.

Whatever it is it's a bummer to have to deal with it twice.  Avoid the trifecta AJ.  Twice is enough.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2007, 12:00:45 AM »

Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2007, 07:49:44 AM »

Well, the dreaded rear cyl head gasket leakage syndrome has hit my scoot.  Been watching it really close and could not see any sign for sure until after my trip last week to Traxxion Dynamics.  Definitly leaking just a little - exposed edges of gasket are browish, but not oil on the cyl fins.  Bike has 8,950 miles.  Problem - dealer service dept is way, way backed up and may not be able to get to it before I leave on Posse Ride in 3 weeks.  Trip will be over 7,000 miles.  So what, if any, problems am I likely to encounter if this cannot be repaired.  Any outright failures of the head gasket or is weeping what I can expect?

Terry,

I'm as frustrated as you are. I went to my dealer already 4 times about doing some cams etc when they change the head gasket. As of today, he still hasn't done anything other than put me off. Yesterday I called Memphis and they told me they were back logged 6 weeks or so in the shop. At least they told me something. I may just have the head gaskets replaced and wait till winter for any other upgrades.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2007, 08:41:45 AM »

Jerry,

The failure is related to the sealing around the oil return hole, not the seal to the combustion chamber. It is only a weep / seep. I haven't heard of anything worse than a nuisance. If you can't get it done before your ride, I would just keep an eye on it and try to clean off the oil in the evening if it starts getting messy.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.