Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: Bitubo Shock Upgrade  (Read 89653 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Bitubo Shock Upgrade
« Reply #315 on: February 09, 2008, 11:47:54 AM »

Things were different two-up and loaded..........though they felt much, much, much, much, much better than stock, we bottomed out using the Chief method of bottom out detection...........even though neither of us never knew we bottomed out.  Smooth as a Hooters Girl's backside.  NICE!!!!!!!!!!!
OK.....for two up, got about an inch of thread showing on the pre-load.  Compression damping is set at six clicks.  Rebound damping is midrange.  Didn't change the later two settings from my solo baggless ride earlier this morning.  Only thing I did was add about a 1/4 inch of preload.  Any advice on where to go from here for two up?  Thanks.

Henry

I don't know if you had seen this Henry. It's quoted from Dan at Traxxion:

"We have some baseline settings for the Bitubo shocks on baggers. We recommend for preload a 15mm gap between the preload collar and shock body. Rebound at 2, and compression 10 clicks out from full hard."

I'd use that as a baseline, and go from there. To keep from bottoming out 2-up, you'd want to put more preload on the spring. The optimum would be to go back and forth adjusting for solo and 2-up. I have mine adjusted midway, but more on the tighter side for solo, as a compromise. I don't adjust them everytime this way. Occasional bottoming 2-up, but liveable. I lke it a little stiff solo anyway. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #316 on: February 09, 2008, 01:47:34 PM »

Henry...sounds like you've about got the preload where it needs to be.  You might just try increasing the compression damping.  The clicks are not linear, so the more you go towards full (hard) damping, each click ramps it up, as it is a needle valve from my understanding.  In other words, each click upwards, once you get past a certain point, has an exponential effect.  Rebound on either 2 or 3.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

REGGAB

« Reply #317 on: February 09, 2008, 04:21:07 PM »

Thanks Howie and Terry.  Just got back from a nice solo ride to Tullahoma, TN and back.  I left the preload as it was when Renea and I were two-up earlier today, but I moved the compression one more click toward H for a total of seven clicks from S.  Didn't touch rebound, which is set at three.  I'm bottoming out solo!!!!!  Hmmmmmmmmmm.......I guess I'm more of a fatass than I thought.   ;D  So, I'll add another click of compression and see what happens.  Still haven't figured out rebound, but it sounds like I might what to back off a click........Yes?  No?

In any case...........I am so in love with these shocks!!!!!!!  Very smooth.  I can't imagine how nice Ol' Thumper will track once I get the AK-20s installed.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #318 on: February 09, 2008, 06:09:11 PM »

im at 290 lbs and with the preload set as they came and comp at 8  i havnt felt them bottom out. id try like one full turn on the preload. take the wrench on the road only takes a minute to adjust :bananarock:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #319 on: February 09, 2008, 06:27:09 PM »

Sounds like you're almost there Henry. Don't think of the preload as anything more than a ride height adjuster. It's the same principle as adding air to pickup air shocks. When you add load, add preload (more air in the pickup analogy) to lift the a$$ end so the bike/truck rides level. Use the preload to level the bike.

If the bike is always at the same ride level, you always have the same amount of stroke. If the bike is squatting, your compression stroke is compromised. Too much pre-load and you'll top out as you'll have too much compression stroke and too little rebound. You always want to have the same stroke length to give you the same bump absorbing capability.

If you're bottoming out ALL THE TIME, add one more click of compression damping. I've never gone above 9, but two-up loaded takes 8 or 9. But remember, if you hit a big square bump, YOU SHOULD BOTTOM OUT. You don't want the compression set so hard that you never bottom out, you'll wind up compromising ride quality by making it too stiff for the other 99.9999% of your riding. You should handle most riding situations, but they've got a nice soft bump-stop so when you do bottom out, it ain't that bad, not nearly as hard as the Progressives which hit hard.

Good luck buddy. Call if you want to chat.

Oh, just for you going out and riding today.... :sauer021: :sauer021: :sauer021: :sauer021: :sauer021:

:indian_chief:

REGGAB

« Reply #320 on: February 09, 2008, 06:50:23 PM »

Thump is set up for a two-up ride tomorrow.....hopefully.  1" preload, 8 clicks of compression, and 2 clicks of rebound.  I was riding aggressively this afternoon, and did hit a bridge joint squarely.  Still.....never "felt" it bottom, but when I got home, the bump stops were planted against the top plates.  I'm taking the spanner and will adjust as necessary, but it is likely my ride height is where I want it, but I just want to be sure.  I've never had the bags on and off as much as I have today.  We'll see what happens tomorrow, and I'll update then.

Oh........Chuck, just thought you'd like to know that not only did Thumper get a good workout today, but I also had the Sporty out zippin' 'round.   :P Goooood scooter.  Wonder can I get some 12" BLACKED OUT Bitubos for the Sporty?  And then get the Sporty's forks done at Traxxion?  Don't worry, Buddy.  Soon you'll have that Golden Cherry finished and we'll all be droolin' over it.   :2vrolijk_21:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #321 on: February 09, 2008, 06:54:59 PM »

Thump is set up for a two-up ride tomorrow.....hopefully.  1" preload, 8 clicks of compression, and 2 clicks of rebound.  I was riding aggressively this afternoon, and did hit a bridge joint squarely.  Still.....never "felt" it bottom, but when I got home, the bump stops were planted against the top plates.  I'm taking the spanner and will adjust as necessary, but it is likely my ride height is where I want it, but I just want to be sure.  I've never had the bags on and off as much as I have today.  We'll see what happens tomorrow, and I'll update then.

Oh........Chuck, just thought you'd like to know that not only did Thumper get a good workout today, but I also had the Sporty out zippin' 'round.   :P Goooood scooter.  Wonder can I get some 12" BLACKED OUT Bitubos for the Sporty?  And then get the Sporty's forks done at Traxxion?  Don't worry, Buddy.  Soon you'll have that Golden Cherry finished and we'll all be droolin' over it.   :2vrolijk_21:

Sounds good Henry. I know you're diggin' the new shocks.  :) As far as the Sporty, I don't know. Maybe the Bitubo website will show in their fitment chart.

Someday, someday, that's all I've been hearing for so long. If I'm SUPER lucky the frame would show up this week, but I doubt it. Oh well, someday will come. ;)

:indian_chief:

REGGAB

« Reply #322 on: February 10, 2008, 06:56:01 PM »

Renea and I went for a ride this afternoon.  Renea is happy.  I'm happy.  All is good.  Smooooooooth!  Bitubo Rules!!!!!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #323 on: February 10, 2008, 07:16:01 PM »

Great news Henry! Now for the Ak20's. It's only money!
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

REGGAB

« Reply #324 on: February 10, 2008, 07:33:35 PM »

Great news Henry! Now for the Ak20's. It's only money!

21 March.

And there is so much more I WANT.  Baker, Hawgwired, Corbin, True-Track, WO575, Heat Demons, etc...................the chit never ends.  Hey, have you busted that $750 spending limit?  I think I'm gettin' awful close.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #325 on: February 10, 2008, 08:56:43 PM »

21 March.

And there is so much more I WANT.  Baker, Hawgwired, Corbin, True-Track, WO575, Heat Demons, etc...................the chit never ends.  Hey, have you busted that $750 spending limit?  I think I'm gettin' awful close.

Many times over I'm ashamed to say.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #326 on: February 17, 2008, 11:28:40 AM »

I went by Traxxion Dynamics and picked up the loaner shocks today. The part number of the shock is: HD004WMT03.

The install was very straightforward with no kinks. I noticed that one of my Progressives is leaking oil, so the timing is perfect.

I mounted the shocks so the resevoir is to the rear to avoid any possible interference with the wires for the saddlebag locks.

There is a generous spring preload adjustment range to give a lot more preload adjustment than the Progressives I removed.

How common is this with Progressives ?  MJZ told me when he got Elvis that one of the 440's on it was leaking.Those shocks weren't that old. I threw out all the recepts when I shipped Mark the bike, so the warranty issue was a pain. And you know even though something is warrantied, if these fail on a regular basis, then I'm going to stop preaching them to people. I love the way mine perform but buying something knowing you're going to have to replace it within xxxx amount of miles is bogus to me.

B B

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #327 on: February 17, 2008, 11:48:53 AM »

How common is this with Progressives ?  MJZ told me when he got Elvis that one of the 440's on it was leaking.Those shocks weren't that old. I threw out all the recepts when I shipped Mark the bike, so the warranty issue was a pain. And you know even though something is warrantied, if these fail on a regular basis, then I'm going to stop preaching them to people. I love the way mine perform but buying something knowing you're going to have to replace it within xxxx amount of miles is bogus to me.

B B

I can remember several here who have had leaks...they've gotten them fixed, but it is apparently not an uncommon thing.

For a little over 200 more, the Bitubo's are well worth it, from reports of those making the switch.  Much better overall ride quality.  If you ever ride a bike with both the Traxxion front end, and the Bitubo's, you'll get it done to your bike, guarantee it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #328 on: February 17, 2008, 11:57:54 AM »

B B, a slight addendum to this on my Progressives, they did end up honoring the warranty and with a very short turn around I received a brand new pair. They are back on the bike, the HD air shocks are back on the shelf (where they work best). For the short time I rode on the OEM's, I was reminded what a POS they were.
I am wondering the same thing about if these are going to crap out and have to be sent in again. Because I now know who and how to get the Progressives replaced, I'm not worried. They are so much better than the OEM, it is worth it for me.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #329 on: February 17, 2008, 12:10:15 PM »

I can remember several here who have had leaks...they've gotten them fixed, but it is apparently not an uncommon thing.

For a little over 200 more, the Bitubo's are well worth it, from reports of those making the switch.  Much better overall ride quality.  If you ever ride a bike with both the Traxxion front end, and the Bitubo's, you'll get it done to your bike, guarantee it.
Terry, as you know I did the front end at Traction but because the Bitubos were out of stock, I kept my air rides. When Traction called and said the Bitubos were in, I decided not to go with them since I didn't want to give up the air rides, I use them every ride.
Did you replace yours and if so are you happy you did?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 20 queries.