Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: 2008 models 6 gallon tank?  (Read 6692 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: 2008 models 6 gallon tank?
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2007, 01:55:54 PM »

One time I put over 5.5 in my 2000 FXSTD and it had not hit reserve.  They say 4.9 but it is a lot more.  I put that amount in a second time at a different statyion because I thought they were ripping me off.  I called HD tech support to explain.  The answer was the capacity is full one inch below the bottom of the filler bung while on the stand.  you can put a lot more if you fill it up beyond that.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2007, 06:53:17 PM »

One time I put over 5.5 in my 2000 FXSTD and it had not hit reserve.  They say 4.9 but it is a lot more.  I put that amount in a second time at a different statyion because I thought they were ripping me off.  I called HD tech support to explain.  The answer was the capacity is full one inch below the bottom of the filler bung while on the stand.  you can put a lot more if you fill it up beyond that.
Yeah, If its standing upright. Then you put it on the stand and it all runs out the overflow.
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2007, 07:41:01 PM »

So two lander

You sound pretty negative.  Whatsup? I think the 6 gallon tank is a great idea especially for riding out West...

Or are just truing to be funny....???

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2007, 11:18:43 PM »

So two lander

You sound pretty negative.  Whatsup? I think the 6 gallon tank is a great idea especially for riding out West...

Or are just truing to be funny....???

BB, really not at all negative on the concept of more fuel.  Anything that enhances any of the various safety margins I'm all in for.  We don't know what the tank will look like yet.  But if it's only a true half gallon larger I don't expect any dramatic difference.

I suppose if I were to consider the new tank in any "negative" light it would only be a relative one.  By that I mean that relative to adding a bit more fuel I think their engineering efforts could have gone toward ABS or a few other safety or comfort measures to greater overall good than would be a bit more fuel.  But taken as a stand alone consideration a bigger tank is a bigger tank.  That's a plus.  It it ain't butt ugly and keeps me from running out of gas just one time that's a definite win.

REGGAB

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2007, 11:39:59 PM »

BB, really not at all negative on the concept of more fuel.  Anything that enhances any of the various safety margins I'm all in for.  We don't know what the tank will look like yet.  But if it's only a true half gallon larger I don't expect any dramatic difference.

I suppose if I were to consider the new tank in any "negative" light it would only be a relative one.  By that I mean that relative to adding a bit more fuel I think their engineering efforts could have gone toward ABS or a few other safety or comfort measures to greater overall good than would be a bit more fuel.  But taken as a stand alone consideration a bigger tank is a bigger tank.  That's a plus.  It it ain't butt ugly and keeps me from running out of gas just one time that's a definite win.

I'll agree with you there, Don.  A bigger tank may not be such a bad idea.  Case in point, when I was on my way to meet you guys last week, I was rolling down I40.  There is a long stretch without any gas stations on the exits.  Rather, one has to get off the beaten path and really look.  My fuel ight was on, and yes, I know, that's my own damn fault for not stopping earlier, but at that point, it is what it is.  I stopped at a small country store somewhere just east of Little Rock and asked where the nearest gas station was.  Turns out it was 4 miles down US70.  By the time I got there, my engine was sputtering.  Had I had a bigger tank, I wouldn't have been sputtering, but knowing me, I'd have pushed it to the limit anyway.  I also agree with you about funds released for R&D in other areas such as getting rid of the chain driven cams.  The chains are the weak link in an otherwise bullet proof engine.  Gears are so much more reliable, they have more accurate timing, and they sound cool as hell at idle.  Can't wait to get mine.  Note, there is no "s" on the end of the word "mine."  If there is, I hope I'm not in the middle of the mine field!   ;D

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2007, 08:28:51 AM »

Yeah, If its standing upright. Then you put it on the stand and it all runs out the overflow.

That did not happen.   Actually I've never had that happen.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2007, 08:41:07 AM »

It's happened to me a few times. I stay on the bike and fill it up, then go park. When I come back out of the store there's a circle of gas under the bike.
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2007, 02:14:02 PM »

That did not happen.   Actually I've never had that happen.

RK tanks are different the EG tanks
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 05:05:56 AM »

Your crystal ball was clear as a bell ! Too bad they don't retrofit
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2007, 07:23:34 AM »

I agree on the safty factor the bigger tank will get you.  Especially out west where the gas stops can be few and far between.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2007, 08:42:10 AM »

One notable improvement on the new fuel tanks - no crossover fuel line to f--k with when removing the tank for service.  The "crossover" is now built into the internal design of the tank, at the rear where it should have been all along.  :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2007, 08:44:13 AM »

The "crossover" is now built into the internal design of the tank, at the rear where it should have been all along.  :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry

Probably a bigger improvement to me and techs than the larger capacity.  Thanks for pointing it out.

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2007, 05:19:54 PM »

Great idea on the 6 gallon tank !

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2007, 06:44:49 PM »

I really like the the flush mount caps.Looks like they had to do away with it because of tank design. Everybody looks for gas at that certain mark. When ya run out makes no difference if it holds 5 or 6.
2012 Candy Cobalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE, Vance & Hines Power Duals, 4" Rinehart's, SE Super Tuner, Mustang Super Solo with backrest &  passenger seat.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2007, 07:03:03 PM »

It'll only help if you're alone, or everyone else has 6 gal tanks. Cause when they run low, you're stopping with them anyway! ::) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 20 queries.