Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Brother went down on his Fatboy  (Read 7230 times)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
Re: Brother went down on his Fatboy
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 02:43:55 PM »

I'm not sure if I would settle for the $100K, if they pushed for a jury and documented the loss of income, mobility, etc. he should do better than that. I hear you on the insurance, for what you pay up front, compared to what you may need in the future it's a good investment.

Hope he recovers soon and does much better on the settlement.

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

alejandro

• Junior CVO Member
  • Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 11:54:03 AM »

may our Lord Jesus bring you and your family peace in this confusing and hurtful time for you. amen.
Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 12:07:55 PM »

I too send my condolences and prayers for a speedy recovery for your brother. I must also echo the applause at your decision to keep the bike. I've been down twice, but just love to ride; I figure I am pre-disastered...but know my thoughts and prayers are for a quick recovery and a safe and happy future...

Flyndyna
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

charlie

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 06:34:31 PM »

Thoughts and Prayers for your brother and family.

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2008, 06:09:30 PM »

I am glad the injuries to Dan were not to his noggin and wish him a speedy recovery. 

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 12:54:48 PM »

I just read this thread, and want to add my condolences.  There's few things worse than a bad accident on anything, much less a bike. 
One thing I learned the hard way is that I encourage people to follow their gut feeling when it comes to riding.  If they feel like they should quit riding, I don't try to change their mind. 
Years ago I encouraged my wife to ride my dad's motorcycle at his lake cabin.  She said she wasn't comfortable with it, but I kept pushing for her to take it for a spin.  She was gone about 10 minutes when a friend drove up and carried her out of his truck.  She had a deep gash that went clear around one knee.  I borrowed my dad's Jeep and rushed her to the hospital doin' about 90.  The hospital was 50 miles away.  The wound was so bad that they kept cleaning it and picking gravel out of it and left it open for abut three days.  She almost lost a leg.  She now has a scar almost an inch wide around 2/3rds of her right knee.  She was in a cast for about 6 weeks.  As time goes by she's having more trouble with it.
About another 7 years later, in 1987 she decided to take the Rider Course and get her license because she wanted to be able to pilot my dresser in case I got sick or hurt while on one of our annual long bike trips.  I though that was OK.
By the following year she wanted to get her own bike.  I tried everything to talk her out of it because I didn't want to feel responsible for another accident.  When I knew it was HER decision to get it, we bought her her first Harley.  Since then she's taken the advanced course and has ridden her own bike on some of the long trips. 
I know this is long winded, but whether to ride or keep riding is an important decision that should be made after serious soul searching.  -No doubt it's a risky sport.  -Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 12:59:46 PM »

Good post Steve.  My wife and daughter both passed a rider course yesterday that gives them their license.  My wife bought a used Sportster in April.  I'll be changing the plugs and cleaning it up this afternoon for them to ride.  It's with mixed emotions that I type this.  I'm proud of and excited for them both but nervous about their inexperience on the road.  It's hit too close to home and too often for me.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 01:00:57 PM »

...One thing I learned the hard way is that I encourage people to follow their gut feeling when it comes to riding.  If they feel like they should quit riding, I don't try to change their mind.  ... whether to ride or keep riding is an important decision that should be made after serious soul searching.  -No doubt it's a risky sport.  -Steve

Steve, some wonderful advice.  I jokingly tell anyone that will listen to me - there are lots that don't - that the best seat on any motorcycle is the front seat of the one you ride yourself.  

But in all honesty, I know a lot - A LOT - of BSRs that are happy to be there, their pilot likes them there and they have no interest in the least of becoming their own pilot.  

I agree with you that - The only person who should ever bother to learn to ride a motorcycle is truly a person who wants to.  Doing it for other reasons is not safe our a sound reason.  I like your language - after serious soul searching.  

Great post.   :2vrolijk_21:

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2008, 11:44:38 AM »

Sorry to her about your brother I'll pray for a speedy recovery,
and your right you can't worry about what life might be, you just have to go out and live it.

Jo Mo

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2008, 11:55:43 AM »

Jim,

We have a close friend who is going through a lengthy leg injury/bone recovery process (non bike related injury) so know it's sometimes a tough slow go.  Best wishes & prayers for your brother's continued recovery.

....also for your sanity - your wife & daughter are both new riders!  Congratulations!    :2vrolijk_21:

Mike
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »

I was just thinking that my Brother's accident was a year ago tomorrow and thought I'd provide another update.  He was  in danger of losing his job forever and not capable of doing the job he had so his company offered him a desk job as a QC inspector.  It was a Man Up thing to do that they didn't have to (Co. is Prestolite).  He got his Dr. to clear him and he started just before he would have lost his position permanently (early Jan).  He was able to drive his pick up (with a bench seat) with his left leg and get in and out of the plant on crutches.  He knew he was going to need some bone grafting surgery soon and the removal of the internal hardware still holding his shattered tibia together.  It was determined that the rod and screws were hiding a persistent, insidious infectious and that the only way to finally clear it up was to go with an external support system and put him back on very strong IV antibiotics at home.

It's now been almost 6 months since he had the bone graft surgery and the addition of the exo-skeleton.  He has worked about 2 weeks out of the last year and he is still battling a mild infection that is holding up proper healing.  He'll be on antibiotics for a long time until his WBC, Hg, and sed rate return to normal.  He desperately wants the cage taken off his lower leg and to walk without crutches.  The estimates are that the bone is still showing weak spots that are of concern and that he may have to go well into July or August before it can be removed.  At that time, he can begin putting full weight on it and start therapy.  He can support himself with it now and it doesn't swell up like it did.  The insurance co. of the cager is offering $100,000 to settle which after attorney fees and costs won't cover his lost wages and bills let alone loss of quality of life.  His attorney is recommending they settle.  He's making slow progress on healing but it will be awhile before he can walk without crutches or a cane and not break into a sweat and get out of breath.

After all of this, I bumped my under insured motorist/liability coverage on my bike to the state max of $300k per accident.  The minimum is $25k.  It was the best $30 I ever spent.  Please keep Dan in your prayers and make sure to bump up your under insured motorist coverage to the max.

Glad he is recovering  :2vrolijk_21:  Your advise to bump your coverage is the best advise that could be given to all riders NEW and experienced.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.