Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: FXR2 FXR3 FXR4 2007 Modifications Made To Your CVO  (Read 5599 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
FXR2 FXR3 FXR4 2007 Modifications Made To Your CVO
« on: June 20, 2007, 02:49:28 AM »

Hello everyone......

June 20th 2007

Nearly 7 years later from when the last FXR4's were coming off the line. 

Here we have a designated area for all of us to communicate in and all we do is watch the CVO Road King Boys/Girls write about their bikes.....

So really how many of us are here that visit this site that own the CVO FXR's?

What are some topics for conversations people would appreciate knowing about or discussing?

1999 FXR2 Arresting Red
My mods have been:

V-Thunder 3010 Cam
New Lifters
EVO High Flow AC
V&H Pro Pipe w/HS
Custom Cycle Engineering Chrome Fork Truss Brace
19" laced wheel and tire w/new FXR3 Fender painted arresting red
FXRS-Convertible Quick Release Leather Saddlebags

After an initial slow start with the bike having some developed leaks from dried up seals and gaskets based upon low mileage, the bike is performing excellent and without any oil issues relating to seeping or leaking at this time.

Seems to be a major difference in handling with the 19" wheel and tire as compared to the "stock" 21" laced wheel and tire.

Mileage on bike is 8,800

The bike pulls nicely off the line and at lights....and has proven quite fun to ride from elevations of 5,000 feet to 12,000 feet.

This one is a keeper for me.

What say all of you????

Regards,

FXR2evo99

RedFXR2

Re: FXR2 FXR3 FXR4 2007 Modifications Made To Your CVO
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 11:16:03 AM »

Here we have a designated area for all of us to communicate in and all we do is watch the CVO Road King Boys/Girls write about their bikes.....

So really how many of us are here that visit this site that own the CVO FXR's?

I understand completely.  I swear I've seen tumbleweeds blow by on this page of the board ;D.

We have the rarest of the CVO bikes.  Take a look at the "Production numbers" thread and see the quantities of CVO FXR's and compare that with the quantities for the newer baggers.  HD revived a out-of-production frame that always had a cult following to build our bikes.  Then they (IMO) figured out how much more money they could make in profit by taking then-current models and factory-loading them with catalog accessories and producing them in greater numbers.  In essence, the CVO quickly changed its market focus from niche enthusiast to top of the existing line luxury type offerings. Therein lies at least part of the reason for lack of activity down here.  Plus the bagger guys are touring bike types--much of the board activity revolves around the trips and social stuff.  Hey, I wish..... but I don't have the time or the bike to do all that.  And, like us, there's not much activity from the WG2 and WG3 or Deuce owners.  Probably won't be for the Dyna, Springer or VRod owners, either (although I wonder if many of the VRod owners have them as a second bike to their bagger CVO's).  Again, not touring bikes so not as much trip-based activity.  I'm not griping, just observing.  Makes perfect sense to me, although I do wish there were more of us.  But based on the number of CVO FXR's out there, it's not going to happen.

Maybe we should study the map and try to organize a small number of us CVO "bar hopper" type bikes (us, the WG's, Deuces, Dynas and Springers) and see if we can get any two or three of us together somewhere.  Killjoy (FXR4) lives across the state from me and we talked about trying to meet up in the middle last October but then he had an accident and his bike was out of commission for a while.  FXRLarry and Deerhead live close to each other in Tennessee but I don't know if they've ever hooked up.  I know Deerhead is a busy man, himself, so maybe not.  Down here, I've seen a FXR3 at a small local rally (parked beside it and hung around but never found the owner) and I see several CVO Deuces now and then but I've never been in a position to try and contact the owners.  Mostly, if I see a CVO bike, it's a SEEG or an Ultra.

Me, you, Neanderpaul, Deerhead, Killjoy, FXRLarry, these are the FXR guys here that I've seen more than just passing activity from but none are here that much, apparently, even though I've traded several PM's with all of them.  I'm guessing that I'm the most often seen FXR type here as others are here only rarely and some seem to have arrived with a flurry of activity and then vanished altogether.

Anyway, you can read my signature for the list of mods I've done.  I also have a set of HD Latigo soft saddlebags and  a quick-detach windshield I use occasionally.  About your fork brace and front tire change.  Have you got any opinion about how those two mods work together?  If you had kept the 21" tire but added the fork brace, would you have seen much improvement?  I've always wondered how effective those things are.  You also mention high altitudes.  I've always wondered how a carburetor would handle that.  Seems like that would be enough above sea level to cause poor running.  I would guess that I were to take my sea-level tuned bike out there, it might not be very happy at 5000-12000 feet.  Re-jetting would be called for, yes or no?

By the way, I saw on the AMA website recently that the City of Denver has enacted a new ordinance prohibiting any aftermarket exhausts on motorcycle in city limits.  Have you heard about that?  What's the local response been from the riding community?

And yes, I'm keeping this bike.  It's still exactly what I want.  I troll through the dealerships now and then to look, but I've never seen anything that would be enough of an increase in riding fun to justify the expenditure.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 11:20:27 AM by RedFXR2 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 11:25:08 AM »

Hey guys, don't feel so bad. You do have one of the best bikes HD ever made! With your windshields and saddlebags, trips aren't too bad. The bike handles great. Especially with a 19" front wheel. The 21" on a narrow glide makes the bike a little shaky at higher speeds and cornering. And the narrow glide by nature, is not as stable at higher speeds on straights. That's where the fork brace helps. But they handle much better than the wide glide counterpart. Be proud of your FXR CVO's and know that's what started this whole thing! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:48:04 PM »

I understand completely.  I swear I've seen tumbleweeds (lol tumbleweeds!!!!) blow by on this page of the board .

We have the rarest of the CVO bikes.  Take a look at the "Production numbers" thread and see the quantities of CVO FXR's and compare that with the quantities for the newer baggers. 

Perhaps for others who will read this "thread" later they can see here what we are talking about:

Model        Color                                        49 States  CA   Total

1999 FXR2  Arresting Red                            570          55    625
1999 FXR2  Stone Cold Blue                         251          25    276

Total                                                        821          80     901

1999 FXR3  Candy Emerald Green W/Flames   565         55     620
1999 FXR3  Dark Candy Blue W/Flames           55           9       64

Total                                                        620          64    684

2000 FXR4  Yellow Pearl                              608          56    664
2000 FXR4  Tangerine Pearl                          293          23   316

Total                                                         901         79    980

Total CVO 1999-2000 FXR2's FXR3's FXR4's Units Built:  2,565

HD revived a out-of-production frame that always had a cult following to build our bikes.  Then they (IMO) figured out how much more money they could make in profit by taking then-current models and factory-loading them with catalog accessories and producing them in greater numbers.  In essence, the CVO quickly changed its market focus from niche enthusiast to top of the existing line luxury type offerings. 

<~~~~totally agree with the above statement.....and I realize your statement is not meant towards a "slam" to the other CVO owners...in fact I have a very specific brochure that came out when the FXR2 was being introduced to the dealers speaking exactly this.....it was indeed an opportunity with the FXR version of the CVO program to "test" the reception of producing a very appointed bike...it just so happened they started the program with a bike that was no longer in production.....they had two things going for them with this introduction, the element of the "Frame" and the element of the "EVO" last for both with the presentation of FXR CVO's.

Maybe we should study the map and try to organize a small number of us CVO "bar hopper" type bikes (us, the WG's, Deuces, Dynas and Springers) and see if we can get any two or three of us together somewhere.  Killjoy (FXR4) lives across the state from me and we talked about trying to meet up in the middle last October but then he had an accident and his bike was out of commission for a while.  FXRLarry and Deerhead live close to each other in Tennessee but I don't know if they've ever hooked up.  I know Deerhead is a busy man, himself, so maybe not.  Down here, I've seen a FXR3 at a small local rally (parked beside it and hung around but never found the owner) and I see several CVO Deuces now and then but I've never been in a position to try and contact the owners.  Mostly, if I see a CVO bike, it's a SEEG or an Ultra.

Me, you, Neanderpaul, Deerhead, Killjoy, FXRLarry, these are the FXR guys here that I've seen more than just passing activity from but none are here that much, apparently, even though I've traded several PM's with all of them.  I'm guessing that I'm the most often seen FXR type here as others are here only rarely and some seem to have arrived with a flurry of activity and then vanished altogether.  indeed that happens....

continued....

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:51:15 PM »

About your fork brace and front tire change.  Have you got any opinion about how those two mods work together?  If you had kept the 21" tire but added the fork brace, would you have seen much improvement?  I've always wondered how effective those things are.

Actually I ran the bike with out the fork brace first, then ran the bike with the 21" and the fork brace, and finally with the 19" and fork brace.  I haven't run my FXR2 with a 19" without the fork brace.  However I know someone who has run their FXR3 with the 19" (stock) without a fork brace and with one.....

I also owned a 2003 FXDL with a 19" and without a fork brace and also with a fork brace.....

Bottom line.....there is no question that the 19" is more comfortable ride in a straight line over the 21".  In the corners it also provides better cornering as well.  So far  + and +. Next when you add the fork brace it improves the handling even + so that makes it three pluses.  Is it worth nearly $750.00 (inclusive of a tire) by the time you pay for a fork brace, 19" wheel, and tire......well I say, yes...because I feel more secure in the corners, and I enjoy the comfort going in a straight line...it also feels more substantial  in the front end as well with the 19" over the 21".  Finally, there is the presentation of the bike with a 19" vs 21".....this is very subjective and prone to style preferences....I ran the 21" for 2 years before changing this spring....I prefer the 19" "look" more than the 21".  I have still retained the 21", it's in my attic.....within a 1 hour from start to finish (inclusive of removing and replacing rotor as well) I am able to flip the bikes between the two.  As you know I also acquired an FXR3 Fender and had a painter precisely match the arresting red color even without knowing the paint codes....for anyone interested....the key to the paint is that HD uses a mixture of a silver and gold candy mix...if you don't understand what I am saying your painter will....the paint of the arresting red is a candy paint which uses an approximate 50/50 base color using silver and gold, instead of simply one or the other.  It took the painter 8 attempts before he figured it out......also the difference between an FXR2 and FXR3 fender is simply the rotation of the brackets that hold the fender to the frame...all HD did was rotate the FXR3 Fender back towards the frame which provides a bit more lower protection from street crud flying up into the frame.....My friend pointed this out to me since he owns the FXR3 we were able to study it enough to figure that out.  So my point is if anyone makes a decision to alter from a 21" to a 19" you can then decide based upon the above info whether you desire to also go with the FXR3 Fender.  I happen to believe with the 19" width that the FXR3 fender would look best with the alteration as well....<~~~personal choice.   So I have had enough personal experience with both this FXR2 and my FXDL to feel that a 19" tire is a better solution.  The final debate would be to say what about the "spoke" wheels vs a mag wheel....I believe this would be one more + one could do over a "spoked" wheel....but the "stance / presence" of the bike looks "right" with a spoke.....I have had the thunderstar wheel on my 2003 FXDL....so I am not particularly fond of the FXR3 thunderstar mags.....I love the slotted wheel of the FXR2 and of course I like the spoke.....so the problem would be finding a good looking mag that would go with the chrome slotted wheel for the FXR2.  I actually never considered doing a mag.....so the spoke is just fine for me....Without "convincing" yourself that you would find improvement with a 19" over a 21", you would.

continued.....

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 02:52:02 PM »

You also mention high altitudes.  I've always wondered how a carburetor would handle that.  Seems like that would be enough above sea level to cause poor running.  I would guess that I were to take my sea-level tuned bike out there, it might not be very happy at 5000-12000 feet.  Re-jetting would be called for, yes or no? 

That is a great question.....and I do not feel that I have the concrete answer to that to say for sure.......although I will share this....I would be the one having the bigger issue than yourself....within only 100's miles elevations for me would drop tremendously outside of Colorado....where as any trip you take would require you going 1,000's of miles before you had an issue...but the quick solution is simply being aware of what I run and switching out your slow idle jet as well as your jet/carb needle.  In my bike I am running a Sportster needle and a 45 slow jet just to give you an idea with of course the V&H 2:1 Pro Pipe.  But that's the beauty of a carb right....within 20 minutes or less you are pretty well set.....I rely on my son-in-law for answers to these questions.....and my friend to balance it all out....with those two pieces of information we both would be in pretty good shape.....

By the way, I saw on the AMA website recently that the City of Denver has enacted a new ordinance prohibiting any aftermarket exhausts on motorcycle in city limits.  Have you heard about that?  What's the local response been from the riding community?

Actually, yes....I know about this decision by the City of Denver.....the reality is you would never ride your bike in Denver even if you came here or went through "Denver" it would be on the interstate and the logical application of the law would not be applicable to you....yes, it could be "officially" but "practically" speaking no.  I have never ridden my bike in the city of Denver....no reason to....HOWEVER I have ridden my bike in Downtown DETROIT....lol ok....so I got lost....well not that kind of lost....like I was suppose to be in Detroit just not downtown....<g>.  The actual intent of the Denver police is to be able to IF forced into complaints by neighbors, to be able to have recourse to offer as a solution if needed.  They have stated they are not committed to seeking out "offenders" but with the "law" are as I just stated capable of having something to enforce.  This opinion does not however reflect the potential that if enough people desire a stronger enforcement how the police department would respond.  The police department has stated that they have more important issues than simply "loud" pipes...so they aren't interested in going overboard. But listen....some people with their pipes make it horrible for the rest of us (my opinion). 

Thanks for the questions....hopefully I have addressed them all.

As for riding......my son and his wife live in Orlando....so I have a goal perhaps next summer of riding my bike to their home as well as to the Florida Keys....my only decison is which bike to take....the FXR2 or the 2002RKC....there is no doubt that the FXR2 could be very comfortable as well....having a group of riders meeting somewhere would increase the option for the FXR2. 

=========

Hoist...thanks for your input....oh and believe me us FXR (boys and girls) know what we have in our bikes.....the best kept secret of HD. 

I am just interested in getting this forum more active with questions....issues......and the such....

I would like to mention that Hoist has been helpful to me with a recent modification to the handlebars of my RKC and so I appreciate it.....

Finally the end....lol

Regards,

FXR2evo99

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 04:29:01 PM »

Thanks FXR! You seem like a helpful guy yourself. And with 2 great rides to boot! Hope to meet up and ride with you sometime. How about the Hot Springs trip. You going? It'll be a great GTG of many CVO guys here. Hope to see you there! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 06:06:50 PM »

[As for riding......my son and his wife live in Orlando....so I have a goal perhaps next summer of riding my bike to their home as well as to the Florida Keys....

Hoist...thanks for your input....oh and believe me us FXR (boys and girls) know what we have in our bikes.....the best kept secret of HD. 

Wow.  This is great.  I don't think I've sever seen so much action on the FXR page of this board.

Where to start, let's see.  First, if you manage to ride to Orlando then the Keys, by all means give me some warning and we'll definitely meet up.  Maybe Killjoy over in Tampa can make it over as well.  The first ever CVO FXR get-together.  But I don't really care what you're on when you pass through.  Two wheels, four, whatever.

And Hoist--this may surprise you, but I'd love to see your two "older" rides.  See, I've seen CVO Road Kings before, but I bet I've never seen anything like your WG or pro-street.  Thanks for you support for us FXR guys.

Back to FXR2evo99: you mention wheels.  I'm wrestling with the idea of upgrading my front wheel at tire replacement time.  I love the looks of spokes but also like the idea of a solid wheel for durability/tire repair reasons.  I'm not crazy about the Thunderstar found on FXR3's but I've seen some alloy wheels I liked.  The other side is that I could get a chrome or stainless-spoked wheel and do a swap out, but my anal part wants to keep the CVO billet hub and chrome rim and have them re-laced with polished stainless spokes.  Do you know if anybody makes a spoked wheel that is internally sealed--that is takes a tubeless tire?  That would be the best of both worlds.

About Denver--I've been there many times and don't think I'd want to ride a bike there--certainly not on I-70 from the airport to the Eisenhower tunnel.  The rest of the state, though, is a riders dream.  Been there on pleasure trips many times.  We take the family to Steamboat Springs pretty much every winter.

Oh, and about fork braces.  Seems you think they're a good idea?  Might have to try one.  Do you use a HD or aftermarket?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 10:33:52 PM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 10:30:29 PM »

for anyone interested....the key to the paint is that HD uses a mixture of a silver and gold candy mix...if you don't understand what I am saying your painter will....the paint of the arresting red is a candy paint which uses an approximate 50/50 base color using silver and gold, instead of simply one or the other.  It took the painter 8 attempts before he figured it out.....

I have the HD factory touch up kit for "Arresting Red".  It consists of two bottles and an instruction sheet.  The base coat is a sort of metallic pinkish/silverish/pearlish color with a transparent, candy red top coat.  They tell you to fill a nick with the base coat only, using multiple coats as necessary  and then use only one coat of top coat red.  I have found this to be true because more than one coat of top (candy red) is too dark.  I figure a good painter could use these two bottles and come up with a good copy of the factory stuff.

If you park these things out in the direct sunlight and study the paint, you can see red, silver, gold, orange, black, ....a bunch of colors down deep in the paint.  And they change according to viewing angle.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 09:12:55 PM »

Wow.  This is great.  I don't think I've sever seen so much action on the FXR page of this board.  and I hope it continues.....

Where to start, let's see.  First, if you manage to ride to Orlando then the Keys, by all means give me some warning and we'll definitely meet up.  Maybe Killjoy over in Tampa can make it over as well.  The first ever CVO FXR get-together.  But I don't really care what you're on when you pass through.  Two wheels, four, whatever.  awesome...as I said it's something I want to do and I said that about running a marathon and I have run 2 so far....so I will do this....and it will have to be soon since my son very well could have his domicile changed to Atlanta in the next couple of years and if this works out I would love to meet and ride some....there is just something about having Jimmy Buffett on my IPOD riding the keys....that seems like alot of fun....

Back to FXR2evo99: you mention wheels.  I'm wrestling with the idea of upgrading my front wheel at tire replacement time.  I love the looks of spokes but also like the idea of a solid wheel for durability/tire repair reasons.    Ok...so here is a product that may actually remove your thinking about the "issues" related to having "spoked" wheels for tire repair issues....this product according to my independent mechanic who has specifically dealt with my questions regarding the "success" of this product with spoked wheels as a result of say a "punctured" intertube has ASSURED me that this PRODUCT will 100% work....and he has PERSONALLY had actual experiences with it...in fact he had a buddy of his that rides with him have a flat on a spoked wheel and put this product in and when he got back from their trip forgot that he had the flat and for 6 months rode his tire with this product inside with NO issues....I of course am not recommending that....so I have two cans of this that I carry with me and switch between the bikes (RKC or the FXR2)....just in case the first time I use it....I waste some not knowing what the heck I am doing....lol....cost per bottle for me was $8.95.  The product name is:
SEAL 'N' AIR   the can says it will work specifically for tires/tubes....also my independent dealer said...if you ever do get a nail....and you get a flat DO NOT PULL THE NAIL OUT leave it alone put this in and then go to the nearest dealership/motocycle shop that can provide a permenant solution....many will think they should pull out the nail....but don't....the directions are pretty specific on what to do.....now remember statistically speaking the chances of getting a flat are what?  the chances of getting a flat with good tire tread are? and always remember if it is your day to walk, it's your day to walk.....and also remember that on our FXR2's we are talking about a FRONT TIRE which is much easier to address than a back tire with spokes....another thought...

I'm not crazy about the Thunderstar found on FXR3's
I actually am not as well....as I mentioned earlier....

but I've seen some alloy wheels I liked.  The other side is that I could get a chrome or stainless-spoked wheel and do a swap out, but my anal part wants to keep the CVO billet hub and chrome rim and have them re-laced with polished stainless spokes.     another person just like me...it's terrible living in our minds isn't it????? this is one change I made with simply a 19" wheel with Harley and the part number is described in the thread over at HTT....I know you have read my post there....to address your concern about the hub being "billet" perhaps you could use the FXR4 wheel (is it billet also???, I am not sure) and you could purchase another FXR2 caliper and put dual calipers with another rotor on it....and then if it's not billet you could forgo the billet or like you said just have it redone with spokes....I just chose a wheel and went forward....you got me on this one....<g>

continued.....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:19:01 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 09:14:01 PM »

About Denver--I've been there many times and don't think I'd want to ride a bike there--certainly not on I-70 from the airport to the Eisenhower tunnel.

Actually I would like to speak about this.....it's like anything....on a Saturday morning in the summer and you can find yourself in Denver at 9:00am taking I 70 up to Eishenhower Tunnel....can be a very pretty and exciting ride.....your right to try to traverse somewhere in Denver and get to I 70 up to Eishenhower Tunnel during a week day morning would not be an a great idea at all....just because of "rush hour" traffic....nor would I want to be on I 70 coming back into Denver late Sunday afternoon with all of the traffic coming out of the mountains back into Denver...it has the potential of being stop and go anytime after 2:00pm, but before 2:00pm it wouldn't be bad....All I am saying is that you are right about your feelings in regards to traffic but choosing the day and right time of day it can be a wonderful ride....It must also be stated that there are plenty of other available routes that this is not your only choice.....but there is something to be said for going in that tunnel....for sure....it's very cool....and I have done it twice...so it's not something I have to do all of the time....but a fun experience...I will also say that anywhere beyond Vail on I 70 over to Glenwood Springs and finding yourself on the "MILLION DOLLAR HIGHWAY" which is I 70 as well going west from Vail over to Glenwood is some of the most spectacular riding you will ever do and it's on the INTERSTATE!!!!! It's just beautiful.....and worthy of the experience....but there are options of avoiding I 70 over to vail from Denver with some alternative routes which you will have no arguement with me for better solutions....but a blanket statement such as: "don't think I'd want to ride a bike there--certainly not on I-70 from the airport to the Eisenhower tunne" wouldn't necessarily be true....given the time of day and the day itself....not picking on you just trying to expand your thought process a bit.....TYPICALLY I would never spend anytime on an interstate highway.....I am with you on this....but this highway is a bit unique....in that it carves itself through the mountains on curves that you can take at 70 miles an hour if you so choose....and still feel like you are seeing the beauty of the state....it's a very cool ride....while other routes are just as cool as well but you will transverse them at 40-50 miles an hour in some spots.....and as you can read I have only done it a couple of times....but if I were in the state for a short period of time....I would certainly include that as one of my rides....while still being able to avoid Denver quite easily.....that's all I am saying.....

The rest of the state, though, is a riders dream.  Been there on pleasure trips many times.  We take the family to Steamboat Springs pretty much every winter.
continued........
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:22:59 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 09:14:48 PM »

Oh, and about fork braces.  Seems you think they're a good idea?  Might have to try one.  Do you use a HD or aftermarket? 

The unit I used is the following part number:  (Drag Specialties) DS-222707  39mm narrow glide   $250.95  <~~~~I purchased mine in January 2003 for $204.00 for my 2003 FXDL and in 2005 I paid $240.00 for another brace for my FXR2.  This unit I put on my 2003 Dyna Low Rider....but I kNOW FOR A FACT that it will fit an FXR2 because I sold this one to my buddy for his FXR3 and we all have the same fork set ups for both models.....the one that I later purchased for my FXR2 in June of 2005 also used the same part number...but when you talk to the technical department you might mention that they have two styles....one has less curve, I would go with the one that has less curve between the forks....looks a bit better to me....they may suggest that it might not fit because of your fender getting in the way...but as I said the one that fit a 2003 Dyna Low Rider (FXDL) also fit an FXR3 as well..and the one they provided for me for an FXR2 (or the FXR frame) had a bit more curve and not as "eye appealing to me" if you ever want a discount on one....I will sell you the one I have on my FXR2 at 190.00 inclusive of shipping and purchase the other one....that's how much more I like it....the funny thing is I keep detailed notes and the part numbers I wrote down are for the same...but if you were to call and ask they probably would give you the right one.....the company's name is :Custom Cycle Engineering they run adds in American Iron in the back of the magazine plus you can google them.....they make it a big deal about installing, but the one I sold to my buddy he put on in 10 minutes....so I really don't think it's that difficult.....and another thing....alot of people say well when you take it off it will have marred your chrome.....guess what....doesn't do it....now they won't guarantee you that it won't...lol because I asked...but they say it shouldn't....and as I just said my personal experience is that it doesn't because when I took it off of my Dyna to sell to my friend....no marks were left....just be gentle installing and you will be fine.....good product as I said previously in the post above.....it's just another way to help with some better stability....less flex....and personally I think the bike looks naked without it now....so use to them....like anything for the first month you will stare at it after that you won't even notice it unless your reticular activating system in your brain stem kicks in...lol which it will for the first month or so reminding you constantly of the change you made....<g>

I have the HD factory touch up kit for "Arresting Red".  It consists of two bottles and an instruction sheet.  The base coat is a sort of metallic pinkish/silverish/pearlish color you are indeed right....but believe it or not there is gold in it as well... with a transparent, candy red top coat.  They tell you to fill a nick with the base coat only, using multiple coats as necessary  and then use only one coat of top coat red.  I have found this to be true because more than one coat of top (candy red) is too dark.  I figure a good painter could use these two bottles and come up with a good copy of the factory stuff.  and to add to what you said a good painter like I used....was able to do it without that as well.....not trying to sound pompus about this but the bottom line if you give a good painter a fender he should be able to match it....but I tell you it's the candy part of that paint that is so very tough....and someone has to care about what they are doing....my painter spent hours on this fender and only charged me $100.00 to paint it....so if you ever decide to do an FXR3 fender....I am not here to set his price but he could do yours as well....it's always worth the discussion for a winter project....oh I forgot you don't have winters in Florida...lol...

Regards,

FXR2evo99

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 09:34:20 PM »

one other thing....going back to the carb and elevation....talked with someone who obviously knows more than me about this.......(I really didn't believe it would be a big deal one way or the other) for your bike specifically coming to colorado or any where of elevation for that matter the solution for your carb would be about a 2:00 minute fix......which would allow your bike to work in the short term enviornment change of say a vacation....not a big deal...the same for me.....since we both are running the stock carbs that are CV carbs they have some very basic "automatic" adjustments which makes them a bit different from the mikuni or the S&S carbs in this specific area of operation which removes the need for having to change "jetting" for the short term...now if we were each spending 6 months in a completely different elevation than what are bikes are currently set up for....which would be  opposite of our normal enviornments the fix is still fairly simple as well....perhaps an hour's worth of work max at a cost of only $8.00 or $9.00 bucks....for either one of us....for example I could tell you what I am running and visa versa and we would end up with easy fixes....all I am trying to communicate what seems like a plausable issue isn't really one at all....the beauty of the "carb" bike....although my other bike is a fuel injected....in theory I do nothing because it is set to adjust itself....but then once again perhaps the "word" maps come into play with a permenant elevation change....but this discussion about maps is beyond the scope of our carbed bikes....lol

Regards,

FXR2evo99

RedFXR2

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 10:16:30 PM »

..... to try to traverse somewhere in Denver and get to I-70 up to Eisenhower Tunnel during a week day morning would not be an a great idea at all....just because of "rush hour" traffic....nor would I want to be on I 70 coming back into Denver late Sunday afternoon with all of the traffic coming out of the mountains back into Denver

Of course, those are exactly the two times of day/week that I'm most often on I-70 in Denver.

.It must also be stated that there are plenty of other available routes that this is not your only choice.....

Like US highway 6.  Much better ride/drive than I-70, IMO.

I will also say that anywhere beyond Vail on I 70 over to Glenwood Springs and finding yourself on the "MILLION DOLLAR HIGHWAY" which is I 70 as well going west from Vail over to Glenwood is some of the most spectacular riding you will ever do and it's on the INTERSTATE!!!!! It's just beautiful.....

West of the tunnel on I-70 is a whole different thing.  I like getting off on Hwy 9 and taking in Breckenridge, Fairplay, and Leadville to the south.  That's also where I exit to go to Steamboat Springs via Kremmling.

.....TYPICALLY I would never spend anytime on an interstate highway.....I am with you on this....

That's what I'm talking about.  Interstates, to me, have a purpose, but a relaxing ride on a motorcycle isn't one of them.  You want to see an Interstate that will make you say "never again"?  Come down here to I-95.

Have you ever ridden highway 550 from Montrose to Durango?  Or how about highway 160 from Durango east through Pagosa Springs over to US 285 back to Denver? Superb scenery on both of those routes.  I think 160 also goes west from Durango to Mesa Verde NP--another nice destination.

The road from Durango south to New Mexico (I need a map again--goes through Ignacio and then by Navajo Lake over to US 550 again is a scenic ride.  I've taken many trips to SW Colorado.  Can't get enough of the place.  I've only begun to explore the northern part of the state (from Steamboat Springs).  You are fortunate to live there.

Another topic:  I've seen the Custom Cycle Engineering fork braces--they appear to be quite well made.  I may look into it.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:40:48 PM by RedFXR2 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 01:15:47 AM »

ok ok ok ok ok.....feels like Joe Pesci...lol  but......

......All I am saying is that if one has the opportunity to place themselves on I 70 just outside of Denver at certain times of the day and week...it can be a very pleasurable and enjoyable ride from Denver and to and over (inside) Eishenhower Tunnel and most beautiful on a motorcycle.......and one I would not shy away from regardless of the Interstate Designation.  It's been carved right through the mountains.     

You will have no arguement from me however that there are other highways....but sometimes when one thinks about using an Interstate Highway it can be very boring.....but I 70 as you begin to leave Denver and begin to pick up elevation all the way to Glenwood Springs which is approximately a 3 hour ride....is a very beautiful drive in and of itself....Going up the mountain on most week days is very easy....traversing I 70 heading east from Glenwood Springs to Denver which includes of course returning through Eishenhower Tunnel is quite easily accomplished during the summer months except for Sunday's and if this happens to be the day you find yourself on this path just make sure you plan your position to be off of I 70 going east specifically between Vail and Denver and being in the "Denver Area" by 2:00pm.  If one had absolutely no traffic or very light traffic on I 70 going east from Glenwood to Denver would take you approximately 2.5 hours....so my point is leaving Glenwood by 11:00am would be my recommended latest time for Sunday travel as a point of reference.....

Now going back to the orginal discussion which was addressing I 70 from DIA (Denver International Airport) to Eishenhower Tunnel....I would add this:

From DIA, one could take E470 which will cost you approximately $6.00 for toll fees and absolutely no traffic any time of the day for roughly 33 miles and once E470 crosses over I 25 it then becomes C470 which is no longer a "toll highway" during anytime after 10:30 am until 2:00pm every day would prove to not be a be a difficult process....but then again you are talking to someone who has transversed Detroit during rush hour traffic....the difference between Detroit rush hour traffic and Denver's is that in Detroit you move about 65 miles an hour bumper to bumper......lol....and in Denver your bike has a chance of over heating during the summer months because it can take you a full 80 minutes sometimes to go from South Denver to North Denver (which includes suburbs of course to the "natives") which is approximately 42 miles....the highway I am referring to is called I 25. 

Which is one more good point to make to anyone going north and south through Denver you should pay the $11.00 or so (toll fees) to transverse the entire Denver area on E470 which because of the tolls has very light traffic and takes you pretty much completely around the entire city to the east and fairly close to DIA if that is important to someone (E470 is approximately a 42 mile loop that swings around the parameter of Denver).......unless one enters the Denver area after 8:00pm (which on a bike would most likely not be the case) or on the weekends at anytimes except during the NFL season lol........the highway I am referring to that you would be missing while on E470 would indeed be I 25.

So there you have it.....we have many beautiful highways to ride on here in Colorado....and obviously my point is that I 70 is not the only one......all I have attempted to point out is that it's very manageable and capable of providing an excellent ride depending upon time of day and and week....just a little planning will help....but if Colorado is your destination ride.....there are many options available....and if Colorado is a passing through from one state to another for you.....to feel you would have missed Colorado because you found yourself on I 70 would not be the case....and it can be a very pleasurable ride also with planning as well....there is something to be said for taking sweeping curves at 70  miles an hour legally I might add on an excellent interstate highway system which can sustain such speeds and there is also something to be said about other mountain roads which will not allow one to exceed 40 miles an hour and can be equally intense because of sharp corners....all one has to do is see the article done in I believe the July issue of Cycle World where they took photos of a certain highway in the southern united states where this company sets up "shop" / cameras and simply waits and watches people crash all day long by riders thinking they can maneurver through corners at speeds of which they have no idea are too fast ......if you haven't seen that article you should try to get a copy of it....there are some photos of some amazing things that people do on that particular stretch of highway......

By the way just a tip.....to anyone coming to Colorado....when traveling our mountain two lane roads....everyone has a natural tendency to crowd the yellow dividing line ....and every year some cyclist gets "clipped" on a corner misjudging their turning radius while a vehicle coming from the opposite direction drifts into your lane...keep this in mind always stay to the middle or slightly to toward the outside edge when entering blind corners....

by the way I believe it is more fun going west on I 70 than east....

Regards,

FXR2evo99

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 20 queries.