Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: why is it so hard to fine someone that can really tune your bike?  (Read 5928 times)

i2zh2o

• FLHRSEI.ORG

anyone out there happy with there tune?
jims 120

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: why is it so hard to fine someone that can really tune your bike?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 11:52:06 AM »

Yes, but I threw a whole lotta money at the wrong tuner before finding a good one.

:cherry:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 01:15:02 PM »

SERT or Power Commander?  If Power Commander and basing out of Nebraska you're close enough to at least consider coming to Joplin, MO in the SW corner of the state.  A guy named John Golden operating as Rolling Thunder Dyno.

It doesn't get better.  Tuning is as much art as science.  John's an artist.

i2zh2o

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 01:25:18 PM »

sert i have heard of them and talked to them on the phone i just wonder how much diff. there is?
jims 120

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 01:27:58 PM »

sert i have heard of them and talked to them on the phone i just wonder how much diff. there is?

SERT is an interface device.  Screaming Eagle Race Tuner is what the acronym stands for.  Some get religious about choosing a SERT or a Power Commander.  The only advice I can offer is, don't.

You're paying a tuner to use whichever device you buy.  So get whichever one the best tuner you can find wants to use.  After all, you're paying him to use the device for you.  So might as well give him what he knows and uses best.

This is one case where you really are better off only spending the money and not worrying about what on.  Let the tuner pick.

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 01:30:03 PM »

Yessir.  I am, but that may be premature.  It is roughly 70 miles from my tuner's shop to my home....most of it is interstate.  The scooter performed flawlessly the whole way home under varying conditions from WOT blasting down the interstate, to powering out of corners on the twisty road to my house, to cool running in Huntsville city traffic.  Not one single stumble, ping, cough, sputter, decel pop or any other anomoly.  I believe the litmus test will be my trip to Kansas.

i2zh2o

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 02:15:36 PM »

i had a shop in town do it and it works ok just low dyno numbers just wanted to know if there is anymore or is that it i would of though it would make one hp per cube and tq to it dont
jims 120

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 03:32:34 PM »

i had a shop in town do it and it works ok just low dyno numbers just wanted to know if there is anymore or is that it i would of though it would make one hp per cube and tq to it dont

My point of view is one of not caring so much about the numbers........especially HP, since it is the TQ that you actually feel.........and devoting my attention to the reliability and ridability of the scooter.  If it runs well, has a crisp throttle, and doesn't stumble, fart, or die.........then I call it good. :2vrolijk_21: 

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 03:51:53 PM »

The guy that built my Dyna motor has golden hands, I've waited an extra week for him to be available to build and tune my new one.  They are few and far between and worth waiting for.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

i2zh2o

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 04:34:05 PM »

well it runs very well it only has one bad spot at 54 mph in 5th gear it will stumble a little i just hate when you buy parts or motors or what ever and it dont do what they say it will do like a 135 inch motor should all day long make 135 hp and tq but it dont so what gives is it the motor tuner or wronge parts combo? what do you think?
jims 120

hogasm

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 05:17:50 PM »

SERT or Power Commander?  If Power Commander and basing out of Nebraska you're close enough to at least consider coming to Joplin, MO in the SW corner of the state.  A guy named John Golden operating as Rolling Thunder Dyno.

It doesn't get better.  Tuning is as much art as science.  John's an artist.

John made the custom map for my scoot :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

No complaints at all

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 11:51:08 AM »

Too many variables, i.e., the theoretical # of combinations is immense.  Even the number of practical settings is immense.  Aside from the tuning settings themselves, add in that you have to tune to a specified performance target while still accomodating minimal acceptable performance and usability across all conditions, and do it for a drivetrain design that isn't exactly high precision and predictable, and you start to see the difficulty.  Now toss in things like intermittent problems, maintenence issues, and budget limitations, and the potential is there for dissatisfaction - even when the tuner knows what he's doing.

When I started searching, I actually had no problem whatsoever finding tuners.  My issue was finding a specific type of tuner (SERT).  I had decided I didn't want a PC, and that seems to be the easiest to find by far.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

hdfatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • Pain is Mandatory. Misery is Optional.
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 12:13:55 PM »

I may be repeating already shared valuable information thus far, and truly my opinion, but I am very happy with the Race Tuner (third injected big twin for me and also the third SERT). Obviously, the ability of the tuner is the key. The numbers are only numbers and as mentioned previously they work together. But for a bagger torque is king and where it comes on is important. Others here have run, or are running the Zippers T-Max w/ Auto Tune. I've read mixed reviews on this forum and others but it seems worthy of an evaluation if you cannot find somone you really trust sice it comes with a base map from which it adjusts.

twincam

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 12:47:41 PM »

Nick Trask, custom performance.. phoneix Az. is a good one!!!! turboyourharley.com

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 06:21:31 PM »

I'm using the Zipper's Thundermax Auto-tune (TMAT).

I have never had it on the dyno, so I don't know any performance numbers.

Although I am very happy with the way the bike tuns itself and performs in the heat & humidity of southern Louisiana,
there are others on this site who have not had such good luck with the TMAT.

That is what I hoped for in my decision, plus not wanting to pay for dyno runs everytime I changed something on my bike.

Good luck no matter which tuner you decide on!

laissez les bon temps rouler!

Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 24 queries.