Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Crank runout  (Read 13714 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Crank runout
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 10:11:43 AM »

Update - this gets curiouser and curiouser.  Got a call at 5:15 pm last evening from supervisor at H-D customer service.  H-D tech services had been in contact with local tech several times about the crank runout he reported to me.  After reviewing procedures it was determined that 1) bike was not sufficiently secured for the reported reading to have been accurate, and 2) reported out of tolerence reading was on sprocket side and, of course, most concern is on opposite side due to oil pump. 

So after a thorough recheck following H-D's recommended procedure both the tech and H-D tech services determined that there is in fact not a problem with my crank.  But H-D does want the rear cylinder replaced.  Just saw this post:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14847.0 which indicates that root of head gasket problem may be in the rear cylinder itself.

I had no sooner hung up from the H-D call when the gm of the dealer phoned to relay same info.  So everyone is on the same page and we are (hopefully) going to get a new cylinder in over the weekend or Monday morning and I may get the bike back Wed or Thur which will put me just a couple days behind on my trip.

Don't know what to say guys other than I hope this latest info is totally correct.  I can only report what I am told so I just don't know how concerned you and I should be about this.  Time will tell I imagine.

Jerry,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you'll be able to make most of the ride.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 10:20:35 AM »

I'm glad my post helped.
It was one of those "we thinks something is going on, but do not even tell our dealers"  These guys in Milwaukee are like politicians under oath, yes or no answers, no volunteering of info.

I was glad I saw your post because I was going to call H-D back and ask why we needed to replace the rear cylinder if the head gasket was the problem.

So maybe this is good news in that they have identified the root cause of the leaking head gaskets.  As I said, time will tell on all this.  Just hope it makes the trip with no problems.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 10:25:49 AM »

Is there anyway to get a date or window of manufacture dates on these bikes with troubles from HD?
I wish I has tail to pull cause I surely would.

Miker 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 10:46:17 AM »

Good news Jerry, I guess. I'm concerned  that there are different reasons/solutions to this leaky Head Gasket issue. One dealer replaces rear head gasket, another replaces both, another a rear barrel, another both barrels, another barrels and pistons. What's the real problem/solution here? Why are the barrels being replaced for leaky head gaskets, and only on some bikes? Is that absolute? Should all bikes with leaky head gaskets get the barrels replaced? Rear only or both? Pistons too? This is a friggin' mess! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 11:16:56 AM »

Good news Jerry, I guess. I'm concerned  that there are different reasons/solutions to this leaky Head Gasket issue. One dealer replaces rear head gasket, another replaces both, another a rear barrel, another both barrels, another barrels and pistons. What's the real problem/solution here? Why are the barrels being replaced for leaky head gaskets, and only on some bikes? Is that absolute? Should all bikes with leaky head gaskets get the barrels replaced? Rear only or both? Pistons too? This is a friggin' mess! Hoist! 8)
Exactly!

IBA member # 45520

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 12:36:45 PM »

I feel your pain Jerry. It sounds alot like moco is fishing and not really sure what the fix is. Hope they get yours figured out in time for your trip. I am patiently waiting the call to say mine is done should be any day. I hope to be able to make the Nelson trip without issues. :nervous:

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 12:57:27 PM »

I feel your pain Jerry. It sounds alot like moco is fishing and not really sure what the fix is. Hope they get yours figured out in time for your trip. I am patiently waiting the call to say mine is done should be any day. I hope to be able to make the Nelson trip without issues. :nervous:
Thanks Rooster, hope they get your all fixed up really soon.  Scared the chit out of me for sure when I got the call from service writer that they needed to order new crank.  But hopefully after all the dust settles they and the moco tech services dept have it right and there is no problem with my crank.

That being said I feel pretty comfortable with the head gasket / rear cylinder replacement course of action.  Just wish they'd gotten to this point a week ago vs sitting around until the 11th hour hoping / praying they'd meet my deadline, which was close of business today.  Obviously that is not happening so we'll just hope and pray I get it no later than next Wednesday.  Don't like it but I can live with that.

IBA member # 45520

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 01:07:09 PM »

Why don't they pull a cylinder out of a 110 upgade kit that they most likely have in stock? Only a thought?  :nixweiss:
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2007, 01:12:36 PM »

This Barrel thing is bugging me now. No one can say for sure what the problem is with these engines. I just spoke to the new dealer, and like all the others, of course they haven't heard of these issues. I asked them to have a set of barrels on hand so as not to hold the build up when we find they need to be replaced. They said they have to have the bike there and apart before they can order anything. I'm furnishing all the parts for this build, including new rings/base gasket o-rings on my own dime and my own head gaskets. I'm only asking for the labor under w.....ty. If I need barrels, who knows how long that will take. I can see this thing dragging on already. Getting ready for another fight now and possibly paying someone else to do this job right! If you can't get a straight answer, how can you expect to get the job done right! Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2007, 02:45:08 PM »

Why don't they pull a cylinder out of a 110 upgade kit that they most likely have in stock? Only a thought?  :nixweiss:
You must be telepathic.  Spoke to the gm early this morning and that is exactly what he did.  No stock at my shop but they own a second shop across town who just happened to have a 110 kit for new bike they were not tearing into until Monday.  So we got the cylinder from the kit and will replace it Monday when the one they order for me comes in.  This should save us almost a day in getting this bugger put back together.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2007, 02:48:09 PM »

This Barrel thing is bugging me now. No one can say for sure what the problem is with these engines. I just spoke to the new dealer, and like all the others, of course they haven't heard of these issues. I asked them to have a set of barrels on hand so as not to hold the build up when we find they need to be replaced. They said they have to have the bike there and apart before they can order anything. I'm furnishing all the parts for this build, including new rings/base gasket o-rings on my own dime and my own head gaskets. I'm only asking for the labor under w.....ty. If I need barrels, who knows how long that will take. I can see this thing dragging on already. Getting ready for another fight now and possibly paying someone else to do this job right! If you can't get a straight answer, how can you expect to get the job done right! Hoist! 8)
Howie, this should not be a problem - moco has inventory and can be had in a couple days, overnight if you're willing to pay the freight.  Sometimes you just can't fight city hall - only come away with a bloodied head from beating it into a brick wall.  This is H-D.  Hell we're fortunate they let us buy one of their bikes, lol.

IBA member # 45520

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2007, 02:53:53 PM »

Howie, this should not be a problem - moco has inventory and can be had in a couple days, overnight if you're willing to pay the freight.  Sometimes you just can't fight city hall - only come away with a bloodied head from beating it into a brick wall.  This is H-D.  Hell we're fortunate they let us buy one of their bikes, lol.

Jerry, from your lips......! ::) I'm glad to see you're getting hooked up with this, and hope this will put any problems behind you. Have a safe trip. I'll see how mine goes. Like I said, I won't need anything but labor, unless I need barrels. So I'm hoping it gets done quickly. In NY, they do everything fast.....except get your bike back to you! ;) Hoist!

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2007, 03:02:09 PM »

Jerry, from your lips......! ::) I'm glad to see you're getting hooked up with this, and hope this will put any problems behind you. Have a safe trip. I'll see how mine goes. Like I said, I won't need anything but labor, unless I need barrels. So I'm hoping it gets done quickly. In NY, they do everything fast.....except get your bike back to you! ;) Hoist!
Just trying to see the "barrel" half full vs half empty.  Chit I guess in 100 years it won't matter anyway will it.

Down South they do everything slow, including getting your bike back to you. 

Hope yours gets done on time an correctly.  Just don't get your blood pressure up and blow a gasket.  It'll all work out, it always does.

Regards,

Jerry

IBA member # 45520

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2007, 03:09:16 PM »

Just trying to see the "barrel" half full vs half empty.  Chit I guess in 100 years it won't matter anyway will it.

Down South they do everything slow, including getting your bike back to you. 

Hope yours gets done on time an correctly.  Just don't get your blood pressure up and blow a gasket.  It'll all work out, it always does.

Regards,

Jerry

That's the NY'er in me Jerry! ;D I know it will work out. Just waiting to see if I have to do it myself is all. I'm totally resolved to that if need be. They just build them, then they're mine to decide what to do to them, not theirs! Like they're doing me a favor! Love my HD's, but the MoCo, that's a different story! ;) Hoist! 8)

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 05:38:17 PM »

grc                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                I had the runout checked from the cam side when I had the cams replaced with HD's se cams and I wanted to see if at a later date I could switch to gear drives. The tech lead me to belive I could ....oh yea you're good ...only 2 1/2 thousandths.... well within limits.......Well I guess that's out if S & S are only recommending .002 max. Is this right? Anyone else care to chime in. Hoist I know you've got some words of wisdom on this topic.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 05:39:53 PM by KingDog »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 20 queries.