Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Different starters  (Read 3947 times)

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Different starters
« on: July 05, 2007, 05:17:52 PM »

After talking to Jim Brown of Bragging Rights this am, asked him about start up problems. Not sure I understood all of it ( it was a lengthy explaination related to compression) but bottom line and end result was that it would eventually cause starter to fail. Knowing that many of you have increased size of engines, more HP, more torque, etc. what starters has anyone upgraded too? ( brand, kW, cost, etc.) john
PS I have 06 SEUC with stock starter , not chrome ( I know a virtual sin, but now I might have a chance to make up for it!) ;D
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

Re: Different starters
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 05:28:25 PM »

What are the start up problems ?

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 05:30:54 PM »

1.4 kw starter is all there is from HD (Black or chrome). Mine works fine but it's all sttill bone stock - I haven't had anyone Dick Skinners on it since it left the factory and it runs and starts fine. :)

But hey that's just me

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 05:45:50 PM »

What are the start up problems ?

Jacques
Jacques,
I have to plead complete stupidity, Jim said that something about rear jug/compression caused "miss start" putting extra load on starter and ultimately cause it to fail. hopefully someone (GRC, HD-Dude, other experts) can give a better explaination and offer options/opinions. john
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 06:06:34 PM »

Otophile,

I will tell you the high output starter from Harley with a Harley Battery is what S&S recommends.   3 years ago when I had gotten a new motor after the first one lost a wristpin keeper and imploded I had the bike at Carl's Speed Shop to have the new motor put in.   Carl's wanted to use a spike starter and X brand of battery.

The bike would not start no matter what they tried.   At the time it was a bike week and the S&S reps were there on site for the event and working out of Carl's shop.   They told me to go buy a harley starter and harley battery Carl said they were crazy at the time, and they discussed it :) in the end I went and bought the stuff.   Upon  installation the bike turned over and started and ran ever since.   The reason they gave was it was not torque that was need, but speed and that I should not deviate from this, because it works.

In the recent months time I had a heavier ring gear put on the clutch basket and a new pinion and all has worked out.   There was nothing wrong with what I had this was a precaution since the tranny was being replaced by baker and was recommended to me by Cycle-Rama when they replaced the tranny.   

The problem with the new bikes 07 with the new gearing setup is that there is no updates available yet to do this on them, and some of the manufactures are saying they probably wont develop anything for it.   Kind of scary.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 07:28:55 PM »

I lost my starter 2 times (both times I was 2000 miles from home)..put in the hi torque from harley also this time around , which is what harley sujested since it is a 95ci
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 08:24:12 PM »

After talking to Jim Brown of Bragging Rights this am, asked him about start up problems. Not sure I understood all of it ( it was a lengthy explaination related to compression) but bottom line and end result was that it would eventually cause starter to fail. Knowing that many of you have increased size of engines, more HP, more torque, etc. what starters has anyone upgraded too? ( brand, kW, cost, etc.) john
PS I have 06 SEUC with stock starter , not chrome ( I know a virtual sin, but now I might have a chance to make up for it!) ;D
John,

The 103" CVO bikes already come with the heavy duty H-D starter, and I'm not aware of any widespread problems.  I don't know what Jim Brown was referring to, unless he was thinking of the issues some had with the '07's related to compression and ECM strategy. :nixweiss:

BTW - firedood says the chrome version will make your bike run faster. ;)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 09:21:15 PM »

John,

The 103" CVO bikes already come with the heavy duty H-D starter, and I'm not aware of any widespread problems.  I don't know what Jim Brown was referring to, unless he was thinking of the issues some had with the '07's related to compression and ECM strategy. :nixweiss:

Jerry

Jerry, you mean my 2004 SEEG has the hi output starter as stock??  The dealer tech made a comment that I should get the hi output starter.  I'm cornfused :nixweiss:   normal

:-Jerry
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 09:35:05 PM »

Jerry, you mean my 2004 SEEG has the hi output starter as stock??  The dealer tech made a comment that I should get the hi output starter.  I'm cornfused :nixweiss:   normal

:-Jerry
Jerry,

I can't swear to the '04, but definitely the '05 and '06 came with the Black 1.4kW High Torque Starter.  Specifically listed in the brochures for those models as a CVO feature.

Perhaps 'd00d can verify the '04 starter for us???

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:42:00 PM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 09:42:23 PM »

John,

Jerry
Jerry,
Maybe I should ask a better question instead of confusing what Jim said. My bike has "hard start" problems, about one in four starts acts like it mis fires ( remember when kick started bikes and they kicked back?). So here goes: What causes a starter to go bad ( other than manufacturing defect)? What symptoms will the bike exhibit that would make one suspicious that starter is going bad ( other than obvious won't start!)? You answered the questions as to high output starter as standard ( I know Gary thinks all things chrome look like they go faster ;D ) and it appears that this is not a common problem as related on this site for 2006 Se. Last are all starters equivalent? ( HD vs whoever) thanks John
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 10:04:33 PM »

John,

Is this the issue: when you hit the starter button sometimes the bike fires once and dies, with a kick back?  I noticed that almost immediately after I bought my SEEG.  My first "fix" was to force myself to hold the start button in until the engine was actually running.  I found I was just punching and releasing the button, which always worked like a champ on my old TC88 Dyna but wasn't working at all on the 103.  After I installed a PCIII I added an extra 5% to the starting fuel and the issue went away even if I didn't always remember to hold the starter button in.  I remember posting about this issue a couple years back, and several others also mentioned having the same problem.

There are aftermarket starters out there, all the way up to 2.0kW versions designed for monster motors.  Unfortunately, I have no direct experience with any of them so I can't really help with that portion of your question.

Jerry

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 10:10:29 PM »

John,

Jerry
You know it. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 10:12:07 PM »

John,

Is this the issue: when you hit the starter button sometimes the bike fires once and dies, with a kick back?  I noticed that almost immediately after I bought my SEEG.  My first "fix" was to force myself to hold the start button in until the engine was actually running.  I found I was just punching and releasing the button, which always worked like a champ on my old TC88 Dyna but wasn't working at all on the 103.  After I installed a PCIII I added an extra 5% to the starting fuel and the issue went away even if I didn't always remember to hold the starter button in.  I remember posting about this issue a couple years back, and several others also mentioned having the same problem.

There are aftermarket starters out there, all the way up to 2.0kW versions designed for monster motors.  Unfortunately, I have no direct experience with any of them so I can't really help with that portion of your question.

Jerry
Jerry,
I tried the holding longer but kind of "grinds" and then will backfire. got some better with starting after Jim redyno for fuel mixture. john
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 10:13:08 PM »

Jerry,

I can't swear to the '04, but definitely the '05 and '06 came with the Black 1.4kW High Torque Starter.  Specifically listed in the brochures for those models as a CVO feature.

Perhaps 'd00d can verify the '04 starter for us???

Jerry
'04 SEEG came w/the 1.4KW Starter also P/N 31335-03

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 10:19:06 PM »

'04 SEEG came w/the 1.4KW Starter also P/N 31335-03

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Gary,
Reminds of an auction, 07 07 07 06 06 06 05 05 05 04 do i hear 04? ;D Maybe the simplest thing is to take to dealer ( gulp :nixweiss:) and have them check starter.
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 24 queries.