Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Bike goes back in  (Read 8318 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Bike goes back in
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 10:19:09 PM »

The current starter’s basic design goes back to 1989 and is completely rebuildable. The pinion gear runs $30 and the starter clutch (drive; bendix; whatever you want to call it) can be had for $80; the pinion & clutch assembly (31633-07) runs $113.

It is my sense that if a Dealer were to submit a claim for an entire starter and clutch shell with ring gear, Milwaukee would either deny the starter, or if the claim went through there would be a high possibility of a chargeback when the starter was inspected after callback.

Hoist, I recall you saying that your Dealer gave you credit for a complete starter assembly on a chrome high output unit. I believe that on a still evening if you open your windows and are very quiet, you can hear your Dealer eating what’s left of your original starter; at least that’s what I think that sound is.

That was good of your Dealer to do that; I’ll bet that they were not fully compensated for the starter, if they were paid at all. The Dealer more than likely had to disassemble the starter and submit a claim for the pinion gear and starter drive; JMHO.

djkak

Hoist

Kinda hard to argue with the above logic!
BUT I'm sure you will!

:nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

evilroadking

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 12:27:45 AM »

Just curious, is anyone having problems after the MoCo install's new 110" replacements?

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 08:06:50 AM »

my FLHRSE3 is going in for the third fix on base gasket on rear cylinder in 1k miles.

i first noticed it on the left rear ....but has appeared in other places since then.0

TN

i have a street glide for a week.

They will no doubt replace the rear cylinder.  THe cylinders are not the right shape (round) and or flat when torqued.  They may plane the rear head.  Have them do both.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 08:30:04 AM »

my FLHRSE3 is going in for the third fix on base gasket on rear cylinder in 1k miles.

i first noticed it on the left rear ....but has appeared in other places since then.0

TN

i have a street glide for a week.

TNFB,

Please keep us posted on what they do for the base leak. Mine is in for fix #2 for base o-ring today. Also getting the front compression release fixed.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 10:45:26 AM »

I just spoke to the SM regarding my bike in for one non-functioning ACR and cylinder base oil leak. He told me that both ACRs are out and his DT is locking up when he runs the ACR diagnostics. He's calling HD to see what they say. I wonder if they'll point their finger at the PC and say that is what is causing the problem?

He will also speak with them to see about replacing the cylinder as an attempt to correct the cylinder base oil leak.

More to come later, I'm sure.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 10:55:19 AM »

I just spoke to the SM regarding my bike in for one non-functioning ACR and cylinder base oil leak. He told me that both ACRs are out and his DT is locking up when he runs the ACR diagnostics. He's calling HD to see what they say. I wonder if they'll point their finger at the PC and say that is what is causing the problem?

He will also speak with them to see about replacing the cylinder as an attempt to correct the cylinder base oil leak.

More to come later, I'm sure.

The DT went wireless this year, and is plagued with problems. It connects to the bike and starts reading your info, shows codes, and seems to work. But when you try the diagnostic mode, it crashes the computer and you need to reboot everything. Until they get their issues fixed, they should go back to the plug-in. Right now, the dealers can't diagnose things with the DT. They might not even know this is a system problem yet! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 10:58:32 AM »

The DT went wireless this year, and is plagued with problems. It connects to the bike and starts reading your info, shows codes, and seems to work. But when you try the diagnostic mode, it crashes the computer and you need to reboot everything. Until they get their issues fixed, they should go back to the plug-in. Right now, the dealers can't diagnose things with the DT. They might not even know this is a system problem yet! ;) Hoist! 8)

Great googly moogly!  I sure would like to hear about something gettin done right by someone, anyone.....

Miker

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 11:17:57 AM »

Interesting. I don't know which one they're using.

blowncobra

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Blue
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Street Glide Orange Lava
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 11:32:12 AM »

Technology sure has it's price HUH? seems more and more us consumers end up being the final test bed for the engineering department, both in product and in service???

I find that the manufacturers are quick to blame modifications and aftermarket stuff with no basis or facts to back it up, usually someone will take them to the carpet on it and get there attention.

Good luck
THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS A DRINK

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 09:35:21 AM »

UPDATE:

Bike is at dealer waiting on new rear cylinder. The problem with the non-functioning ACRs could not be adequately diagnosed with the DT, so that's on hold. We'll be out of town Thurs thru Sun, so leaving the bike is no problem. SM is really working with me and is so pissed, he's fit to be tied. He has three bikes in the shop right now with ACR problems. Evidently, troubleshooting them is a pita.

I'll know more next week when we return.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 12:51:12 PM »

Chief,

My bike is in the same quandary as your bike.   They have been looking at the ACR's since last night and have no definitive answer yet.   They have been talking to tech services, but there is a flow chart they must follow to get any help from Harley and it is quite frustrating.

They will be replacing the rear cylinder, the starter pinion assembly, the clutch basket / ring gear.

All the work is being held up by the ACR as they don't want to replace this stuff and then have to worry about it ruining the pinion / ring gear all over.

Hopefully they will have an answer by the end of the day.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 12:58:04 PM »

Chief,

My bike is in the same quandary as your bike.   They have been looking at the ACR's since last night and have no definitive answer yet.   They have been talking to tech services, but there is a flow chart they must follow to get any help from Harley and it is quite frustrating.

They will be replacing the rear cylinder, the starter pinion assembly, the clutch basket / ring gear.

All the work is being held up by the ACR as they don't want to replace this stuff and then have to worry about it ruining the pinion / ring gear all over.

Hopefully they will have an answer by the end of the day.

Harry,

Post the results. Since there are three bikes in with ACR probs, my bike is waiting until they can get the whole ACR system logic figured out. Since I'm waiting on a cylinder, they're not working my ACR problem. Hopefully they'll learn the system on the other bikes and then use that knowledge to fix mine.

I don't expect to hear anything until next week which is OK for me as I won't need the bike before then.

Gunn Runner

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 01:00:37 PM »

same thing here....#3,901 April 27th....received bike May 25th......June 11th Rinehardts, BAK, Race Tuner and Dyno....now have slight oil leak on back cylinder.  HD replacing the jugs under warranty?
Gunn Runner

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 01:07:20 PM »

Well the reasoning differs on the cylinder replacement depending on who seems to tell the story.   I am trying to get a clear and consice answer.   In some cases it is porosity and in others its related to the spicket.   I will try and get a better answer when they are done with the bike.   I asked the tech if it could be because the juggs were not sitting flush and he said that support said this was not the case.  /shrug I will try and find out more when they are done with mine.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »

same thing here....#3,901 April 27th....received bike May 25th......June 11th Rinehardts, BAK, Race Tuner and Dyno....now have slight oil leak on back cylinder.  HD replacing the jugs under warranty?
There are two different places owners have been experiencing leaks. One is at the head gasket and that problem seems to be well controlled by installing a revised gasket. The other leadk is at the base of the cylinder. The first fix will most likely be new o-rings. If that doesn't stop it, as in my case, the dealer decided to order a new cylinder.

As Unbalanced said, nothing official has come out of Milwaukee addressing these issues and it seems it is being left up to the dealers to devise their own plan of atack. Hopefully, something will come from Milwaukee, but I'm not holding my breath.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 25 queries.