Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Surgery vs. Pills for Life?  (Read 18293 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Surgery vs. Pills for Life?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 09:50:09 PM »

Howie,
First off, sorry that you even have to make this decision but seeing that you have to.  I feel similar to Seegarz. If you get to a point where you are no longer the person you want to be and are unable to express yourself as you wish, then the options become heavily weighted.

You have been riding a long time and it is something that has became part of you. I personally feel very strongly about quality of life. I would rather have good years than long years.

There are of course are the other factors you’re considering, Binx, kids, family, but you must consider yourself too. Riding the couch every weekend isn’t what will keep you, you.

Donna told me a couple years ago, “sometimes it’s okay to be selfish, it’s your life”. Keep searching out doctors and information till you find one that will help you live the lifestyle you want.

Take care my friend and keep us posted,
Ed

Thanks a lot Ed! I fully agree and live my life that way. The only thing I changed so far is that I drink only very occasionally now. Otherwise I haven't changed a thing. And I can't use exterme caution instead of what comes naturally to me. I ride WFO and that's me! The minute I stop doing things that aren't me, is when I'll probably shrivel up into a ball. I'll ride my bike into a blaze of glory before I conciously start being overcautious to overcome something. If I physically can't do something, that's one thing. But too slow my life down voluntarily, just to be cautious, just ain't gonna happen!

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 09:52:18 PM »

I hate pills ! Aways seems there is a side affect !!! :'( But explore every option first!IT IS YOUR LIFE!!!
hdnut

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 10:00:13 PM »

Do you mean This?

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4468

Your Choice is to take the meds if you choose to live or don't take them and live as you have for the time that is left. That is the modern choice of living longer thru chemistry.

Thanks for the link Wayne! Binx and I have been looking at these sites. We're understanding the disease and the potential problems by not doing anything. I'm being a good boy and taking my pills. But something in me tells me I can do more about this than I'm being told. I could be totally wrong about that. I'll find out for sure, and if I am, I'll do what I have to do. They say the world's been around for over 5 billion years. They've only been making motorcycles for just over 100. And they've only been rally good for the last 50. I know what the F I was put on this earth for!!! I'm fortunate to have found that out, while most people spend their lives rotting away and wondering "Why are we here?" I know why I'm here!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 10:05:47 PM »

Find a Cardiologist that rides!

Besides that, I would have to ride, it may be a lil selfish to some, but it would be honesty to myself. I remember reading an interview with Dale Earnhart where some asked what he thought about ....if a tragic racing accident took his life...he responded that dying working on his farm would be tragic, but in a racecar wouldn't be tragic, its part of the game he loves, part of what makes it what it is, and who he is.

The risk is there everytime we get on a bike.

That said, we all have to ride our own ride, do what you got to do, i'd ride and look for any alternatives - best wishes :)

Thanks so much Ceej! Great idea about a riding Cardiologist! Where do I find one? I got to say, my Dr. backed off right away when she heard my response. And I feel the same as Dale. I'd rather die tomorrow riding my bike than be told I can't do the things I love anymore. And I don't think it's too selfish at all. I take care of my family the way I do because I'm me. When I can't be me, I won't be the person they knew and loved to them anymore. That would kill me anyway! Giving up riding was never a consideration at all. Stopping the medicine or surgery is.

Hoist!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 10:06:49 PM »

while most people spend their lives rotting away and wondering "Why are we here?" I know why I'm here!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

To aggravate the chit out of me!
And you are succeeding!

Good job Howie who?

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 10:07:55 PM »

I hate pills ! Aways seems there is a side affect !!! :'( But explore every option first!IT IS YOUR LIFE!!!

Thank you hdnut! That's exactly why I brought this question before my extended CVO family. I value your opinions. After all, how bad can you people be with such great taste in motorcycles! ::) ;D

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 10:08:46 PM »

To aggravate the chit out of me!
And you are succeeding!

Good job Howie who?

:2vrolijk_21:

Now my life's complete! ::) ;D ;) Hoist! 8)

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 10:14:29 PM »

Howie, Research all your options and go with the choice you feel is right for you and don't second guess yourself.  Do what's right for Howie!  Good luck buddy!  Rich

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 10:20:41 PM »

Howie, Research all your options and go with the choice you feel is right for you and don't second guess yourself.  Do what's right for Howie!  Good luck buddy!  Rich

Thanks for that Rich! I always have and always will! Ride it til the wheels fall off! ;) Hoist! 8)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »

Howie,

One word, or I guess, sentence about medical issues and internet research, it's lightyears wide and millimeters thick.  ;) Be cautious of the sponsors of the sites that come up. I really had to dig to find what I was looking for.

Ed
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »

Howie,

One word, or I guess, sentence about medical issues and internet research, it's lightyears wide and millimeters thick.  ;) Be cautious of the sponsors of the sites that come up. I really had to dig to find what I was looking for.

Ed

Good advice Ed! You mean you really can't believe everything you read on the internet? :nixweiss: ::) Hoist! 8)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 10:39:29 PM »

Now my life's complete! ::) ;D ;) Hoist! 8)

Would it be wrong to say Go Howie Go?

Just checking hehe
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 10:39:39 PM »

Howie,
start with this website: http://www.cardiomyopathy.org/index.php?id=39
if you know which type of cardiomyopathy it give general details of evaluation and treatment options that give some ideas for questions next week, john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 10:40:39 PM »

Good advice Ed! You mean you really can't believe everything you read on the internet? :nixweiss: ::) Hoist! 8)

Well okay maybe most of it's the truth. ::) I found that the drug companies seem to have a way of, shall I say, pushing their own agendas when it comes to keeping all of us taking pills. I had a tough time trying to find objective answers to even the simple questions I had.

Chit! You're in NYC, I know they might have one or two great hospitals near you! ;)

Ed
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 10:45:14 PM »

Howie,
start with this website: http://www.cardiomyopathy.org/index.php?id=39
if you know which type of cardiomyopathy it give general details of evaluation and treatment options that give some ideas for questions next week, john

Good info John, thanks a lot. We've gotten some good info from the Cardiomyopathy Assn. too. I'll go thru it and be as prepared as I can to discuss details with my Dr. After all, like a HD, you know everything before you bring in your bike, they can't argue with you. You don't know anything, and they can tell you anything they want. And you wouldn't know the difference! ;) Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.