Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Surgery vs. Pills for Life?  (Read 18301 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Surgery vs. Pills for Life?
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2009, 08:02:29 PM »

Howie,
    Take the meds for now,  there are new treatments entering clinicals each and every day........mark my words,  soon they'll be able to remove brain tumors via you a$$hole.  The robotics company that I work for now is doing some pretty cool stuff (especially cardiac MIS).  Hang in there,  do what you love to do,  and be careful.  Also let those around you know what you're on so that if something stupid does happen,  they can take the proper actions to help in an emergency.

Stay tough....

_Beags

Thanks Matt! Appreciate that man! :2vrolijk_21:

Yeah, it is what it is. And I don't really think about it at all. I go to the Dr every month, get the blood checked, take the damn pills everyday, and don't worry about it. The way I see it is, I'm sucking air and walking, so who's got it better than me? Nobody!!! ;D :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

And havin 5 bikes don't hurt none either! ::) ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2009, 08:05:58 PM »

So I have to ask.......what kind of bike does she ride??????

Beags
  She has a Suzuki S40. Bought it for her after she insisted on getting her licence.  Rode it around the farm and parked it.  She would rather ride with me.  So..... I bought the SEFB......  A bike made for one

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2009, 09:08:08 PM »

NICE!!!!

Like the ride.........I'm just too old and fat now to ride one anymore......

Have fun.......

Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2009, 09:21:07 PM »

NICE!!!!

Like the ride.........I'm just too old and fat now to ride one anymore......
Beags

Gotta admit more than 100 miles and my back is killing me.  So I ride real fast then put it away then I ride the CUSE Now thats a Caddilac.  BTW going to Howies on the 24Th? 

Sean M Cary

« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2009, 07:42:50 AM »

I take Cardizem, Lisinopril, Metoprolol, Norvasc, Pravachol, Coumadin, Isosorbide Mononitrate,81mg Aspirin  and Nitroquick for a variety of heart issues. I also carry Hydrocodone and Celebrex for my lumbar spinal stenosis and Xanax for stress.  Lastly an acid reflux med called Omeprazole because all of the above cause major heartburn. I usually carry a months's supply of everything when I'm out on the road. Basicallly I'm a walking pharmacy if you need something on a run.

B B

do you glow at night?

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2009, 10:30:48 AM »

Hog1,
      Not going to Howies.........we'll get to meet soon.  I know exactly what you're talking about with the back thing......mine still bothers me on the road couch even with the matching ottoman.  I guess it's called life.  There was a time when I used to say if you need a windshield and a trunk you should be driving a car.  Well, you get older and wiser and then one day it just makes sense.  I'd love to have my softail back........I just can't ride it anymore.

BTW:

BB doesn't exactly glow at night,  but you certainly don't have to leave a night light on in the bathroom :'(

Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2009, 10:36:38 AM »

Well just got back from the Cardiologist again. I brought up the Plavix thing. She said it was more like stronger aspirin. It won't work for Cardiomyopathy. She said I'm stuck on the Coumadin. As I thought. She also said that the new Bayer stuff will be more like Plavix (a stronger aspirin) and not a substitute for Coumadin. Like Matt said, there's new chit happening all the time. Maybe someday things can change. So I'll just stay this course and continue to do what I do. No biggie! just a pill-poppin menace now is all! Thanks again gang for all the great input!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #172 on: January 07, 2009, 06:04:27 PM »

Wow Howie just now reading this. How about I do something different. If its ok with you I'll pray about this. OK? 8) 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #173 on: January 07, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »

Wow Howie just now reading this. How about I do something different. If its ok with you I'll pray about this. OK? 8) 8)

I can use all the prayers I can get Mike!!! :2vrolijk_21:

And that was BEFORE I got the Cardiomyopathy! ;D

Hoist! 8)

Buffy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Big Ugly Fat Friggin' Yankee

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 - Scarlett Red Wide Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR - Orange & Black
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2009, 07:55:44 PM »

Hoist,

I cannot imagine what you are going through, but I would like to relay a story to you.  I went down on July 26th and when I got to the ER, they weren't sure if I was going to make it to see the 27th.  31 straight days in the hospital, 4 months of rehab and last week I had rotator cuff surgery with another 3 months of rehab coming up.

My point?  After coming home on New Years Eve, my wife asked me,  "Is all of this worth it?" 

"Is what worth it?", I replied. 

"Is all this risk worth riding again?", she asked

Without even a nano-second of pause, I answered, "You bet it is!"

If you are anything like the rest of us on this forum, stop riding is not an option. Like someone said earlier in this thread, "Be selfish" and do whatever you have to do to keep riding.

After the initial shock wears off, look at Coumadin as an inconvenience and not a debilitater. I hope that you get some comfort that we are ALL here to support you in anyway that we can.
John & his 2001 Screamin' Eagle FXDWG2               and              2007 FLTR "Ultra" Road Glide
------------------------------------------------------
It\'s Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2009, 08:03:12 PM »

Hoist,

I cannot imagine what you are going through, but I would like to relay a story to you.  I went down on July 26th and when I got to the ER, they weren't sure if I was going to make it to see the 27th.  31 straight days in the hospital, 4 months of rehab and last week I had rotator cuff surgery with another 3 months of rehab coming up.

My point?  After coming home on New Years Eve, my wife asked me,  "Is all of this worth it?" 

"Is what worth it?", I replied. 

"Is all this risk worth riding again?", she asked

Without even a nano-second of pause, I answered, "You bet it is!"

If you are anything like the rest of us on this forum, stop riding is not an option. Like someone said earlier in this thread, "Be selfish" and do whatever you have to do to keep riding.

After the initial shock wears off, look at Coumadin as an inconvenience and not a debilitater. I hope that you get some comfort that we are ALL here to support you in anyway that we can.

Thanks Buffy! I was glad to hear your shoulder surgery went well and you should be good as new in no time! :2vrolijk_21:

Those last 2 lines above sounds almost like it was coming from me! That's exactly how I feel. Never even considered anything but "will surgery fix it". That's why I started this. It's not. So now I just deal with the "inconvenience"! And it's really none at all. When it becomes one, I'll deal with that too! But as long as I'm sucking air and walking, I'll be riding too! And maybe not even the walking part! They make bikes for people who can't even walk now!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2009, 08:15:46 PM »

I wanna know what BB's bike is doing with Buffy????????

I'm gonna tell Spiderman your riding his bike...boy is he gonna be pissed.  lol

Beags
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.