Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SOS - Would appreciate a quick reply on tightening the handlebars  (Read 1995 times)

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3

Guys,

We were loading our bikes for the 1600 mile trip to Sturgis and when I pushed down on my handlebars to compress the front shocks, they moved about an inch.  On a quick review, I couldn't find anything specific in the Harley repair manual so, has anyone out there tightened/adjusted the handlebars on their FLTRSEI2 and could you share the procedure, what tools are required etc.?  We are pulling out at 07:00am tomorrow so I will have to wait to tackle until I get down there.  Thanks a million for your quick reply.    Hope to see some folks in Sturgis.

Thanks in advance,

BlueSEI2
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: SOS - Would appreciate a quick reply on tightening the handlebars
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 09:55:27 PM »

Remove the cover and tighten the four clamp bolts.

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 10:03:49 PM »

Thanks Puzzled.  If I remove the instrument nacelle (sp?) which the manual says is 2 25 torx screws, will I be able to access the bolts to tighten them without unplugging stuff?  Do you happen to know what type of bolts they are (e.g. hex head) and what the proper torque spec for tightening them might be?  Thanks for a heap for the quick reply and pictures.  Looking at your pictures, I think mine has another cover piece right below the ignition switch.

thanks,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 10:24:42 PM »

There is another cover that goes above the ignition switch. That is the interesting one to remove because the ignition has to come off. It isn't hard, just tricky. If my memory serves me correct the four bolts in the clamp are allen head bolts. TQ hahaha, until it is good-n-tight but not broke.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 11:00:07 PM »

Hopefully, you didn't damage the knurled surface on the bars that provide the grip or friction to the clamp... 
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 06:00:33 AM »

BP,

Agreed.  It only moved the one time and it still feels tight now, so hopefully it will be fine once I put it back to where it was.

Cheers,

Blue

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 20 queries.