Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: oil filter change mess  (Read 34558 times)

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
Re: oil filter change mess
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 11:46:24 AM »

Drag specialties has a small oil pan that slips under the bagger oil filter and and had a drip cup the routs over the kickstand.  It beats carboard.  Main thing is you don't want oil on your front motormounts caus oil deteriorates rubber.   17 bucks they fil 99 to 08 but i thin eglide goodies has something for later models too.

http://www.preferredpowersports2.com/Harley-Davidson-Motorcycle-Oil-Filter-Drain-Trays_p_132519.html

Later John

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »

Drag specialties has a small oil pan that slips under the bagger oil filter and and had a drip cup the routs over the kickstand.  It beats carboard.  Main thing is you don't want oil on your front motormounts caus oil deteriorates rubber.   17 bucks they fil 99 to 08 but i thin eglide goodies has something for later models too.

http://www.preferredpowersports2.com/Harley-Davidson-Motorcycle-Oil-Filter-Drain-Trays_p_132519.html

Later John

Have it - oil still leaks past the funnel and down the cooler.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Sputnik

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 09:01:30 PM »

Let the oil go where it may, and spray some Simple Green on the areas that got oil on them. Spray with a garden hose and watch the oil disappear. My brother-in-law that has a scooter shop taught me this one. Simple Green is good for oil soiled clothes, concrete, etc. Try it, it works.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 09:56:36 PM »

OK, don't waste your money or time with this one

63797-10

Primary Oil Fill Funnel

This re-usable patent pending funnel makes it easy to add oil to your primary cavity. The funnel simply snaps into the derby cover opening to permit hands-free filling. The flat cone shape makes it easy to fill a tight area with no mess or spills. Smooth orange plastic surface is easy to clean after use.

You have to rotate the engine to get the funnel to clear the clutch pack screws.
There is barely enough room to let the oil drain down.
You would have to move the funnel and have it drip on the primary to be able to see the oil level.

Took it out of the box, put it in the primary, put it back in the box. Going to be returned.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 09:59:17 PM »

And you have to hold it in the primary

MV 2013

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2010, 09:03:27 AM »

I just use a heafty trash bag and make sure all the nooks % crannies are covered. Never a mess.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2010, 09:33:11 AM »

I bought a 10qt plastic container and a large funnel from Dollar General Store, had to do a little carving on the funnel to make it fit under the oil filter, And have to remove the oil cooler cover and loosen the oil cooler to move it out of the way.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

mcflyer

• Junior CVO Member
  • IF IT HAS BOOBS OR WHEELS IT'S GONNA B TROUBLE

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 09:03:32 PM »

I HAVE HAD SUCCESS USING A PIG MAT (OIL ABSORBANT MATERIAL) THAT IS LONG ENOUGH TO REACH PAST THE LEFT SIDE OF THE OIL COOLER. I WRAP THE MAT AROUND THE FILTER AND TAPE IT TO THE FRAME RAIL WITH DUCT TAPE. THE OTHER SIDE I JUST PULL UP TO THE FRONT CYLINDER BARREL. YOU END UP WITH A TROUGH WHERE ANY EXCESS OIL MAKES IT TO THE END OF THE MAT AND INTO A DRAIN PAN. THE REST JUST GET ABSORBED BY THE MAT THAT YOU DISPOSE OF IN THE GARBAGE.  I TRAPS ABOUT 95% OF THE OIL AND KEEPS THE OIL COOLER CLEAN AND DRY.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 04:43:07 PM »

Isn't this ridiculous??  The MoCo can't design a better location for an oil filter?!?!  Ridiculous...I hate changing oil on this bike - what a F _ _ _ _ D UP design.  I use a quart plastic milk jug, cut vertically and shaped to fit under the filter.  Barely holds the oil that comes out at a filter change, but beats stuffing rags and such in there and still having to degrease the area.  LOUSY JOB, HARLEY!  Worse location on a bike I have EVER had.   :furious3:

Equally dumb is to have to take off 5 screws and a drain plug on the primary - ever think of a fill plug and level check plug???   :nixweiss:

Next thing will be removal of the ECM just to access the battery..... :oops:

I change the oil on my 125 cube inch Kaw in 1/4 the time as the HD.  :soapbox:

Now don't start me on the easily removable driver back rest!!  GRRR. >:(

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 10:41:47 AM »

:huepfenjump3:

Ain't that fun.......squeezin' your hand and working (blindly) in a hole you can't see in to R&R that seat back. >:(

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 03:36:04 PM »

Ha, yeah, fun!!  My Mustang seat driver back rest just slides out, has some spring loaded indents but still just slides out easily, BA-DA-BING, BA-DA-BANG. :xyxthumbs:

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 07:00:11 PM »

:cherry:

Well,  give me some idea as to how well you like your Mustang seat and how comfortable it is on a loooooooong type ride.   My past experience has been with a Corbin seat on my old R King and I liked it,  but it was hard as nails and got uncomfortable on rides over 200 miles or so.

My current "stock" seat on the '09 SE Ultra is "heated",  but my wife is after me to replace it as she thinks we are too high in the air and somewhat "unstable" and she thinks a lower seat setup would be better.   Not ever having a Mustang seat,  I'm not sure to hang with what I have or consider one of theirs that would work on my Ultra. :-\ 

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 07:35:09 PM »

Well now.I just got my new Griot's catalog today and they have a new oil drain funnel that you can form into any shape you need. Reusable also. I have a store just a ways from my home so I'll go check it out this weekend. http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/what+is+new/form-a-funnel.do
I have been well pleased with almost everything purchased at this company. All well made.
TJ

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 08:12:08 PM »

Well,  give me some idea as to how well you like your Mustang seat and how comfortable it is on a loooooooong type ride.   

I like it and the missus likes it better for long trips than the CUSE3 seat (gives her more fore/aft room on the Kaw than on the Ultra).  It's a little hard, but I've been told by others that the Mustang is softer than the Corbin seats.  At my 170#, I don't deflect it enough.  Both the Ultra's seat and the Mustang seem close to similar hardness.  I can ride either 300 miles without being uncomfortable.  Best seat I ever had was the stocker on my 01 Kaw 1500 Classic FI, nice and cushy.
T

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »

Had to pull/reinstall the driver backrest again to gain access to the battery for another job.  I tried a trick to reinstall the backrest that worked pretty well.  Instead of getting a hand cramp trying to compress the spring to get the backrest into its receptacle, I wound a heavy rubber band around it banjo tight and inserted it fairly easily into the receptacle.  Once it was in, I cut the rubber band with scissors and then was able to shove the backrest down until it clicked in place.
T
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 24 queries.