Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Not Paying MSRP ever again!!!  (Read 4365 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Not Paying MSRP ever again!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 11:51:22 AM »

Interesting. I have been told by three different dealers that MOCO sets the prices to keep them all in line with one another. My local was selling a while back at $1000 under MSRP on stock bikes and the dealer where I bought My SECUSE (out of town) said they could get in trouble from MOCO over that.  :-\

It's actually against Federal law for the dealers to discuss the price they sell for, although in a landmark Federal case the Supreme Court recently found that the Mfr's can set price.  While the results of the case and interpretation of the Justices decision remain to be seen and litigated in court, it could mean that it will become increasingly difficult for dealers to bend on the pricing and the MoCo may have a bigger hammer on the dealers than ever before.

hdhawg1340

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 02:00:42 PM »

saw a 07 fxssse in Jan. in Kingman AZ, have two local dealers ,5 miles apart in FL. Decided this was the HD I had been waiting for 35 years, yes hard core Harley! Went to "my favorite" and all they had was a yellow one way to flashey for a old man like me. I then went to the other one and they "told if I put down money they would find another color for me as their next was yellow due april 17, I said OK put my money down 1000.00 bike came in even with strike I was excited. They told me they would keep the yellow one and look for me next one,Yea right.Went to my favorite dealer they said no problem they had a red one coming on april 27,got my money back and paid MSRP for it. other dealer had the yellow one marked up 2000.00 over Msrp was still sitting 3weeks after I picked mine up. Have seen fxssse latley at 7000.00 over MSRP at two dealers in two different states. It is all what the market will bare, and how rich your buyers are. I work in retail and don,t make a lot of money but love harleys needless to say I won't buy a quart of oil from the "yuppie dealer"' but they will keep their dealership and make alot of money. 25 years ago they would have gone broke! old bike has 72000 miles on it. there are only two kind of people on earth those who own HARLEYS and those who don't , thankfuly I have owned 5 Love and Kisses to all woman harley riders  hdhawg

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 02:59:12 PM »

HD dealers are subject to the same rules as car dealers.  To the extent that our buying experience is different, you can thank the law of supply and demand.

The best day to buy a bike is 7/31.  That is the day when dealer sales for the year are  tallied which in turn sets the dealers allocation for the next model year.   Crazy deals can be made if the dealer is sitting on inventory.

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 03:16:03 PM »

HD dealers are subject to the same rules as car dealers.  To the extent that our buying experience is different, you can thank the law of supply and demand.

The best day to buy a bike is 7/31.  That is the day when dealer sales for the year are  tallied which in turn sets the dealers allocation for the next model year.   Crazy deals can be made if the dealer is sitting on inventory.

Now you tell me, where were you a month ago? ;D ;D ;D ;D

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 04:13:34 PM »

That sure is usefull info...Thanks.  :2vrolijk_21:

Rhino

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 10:01:47 PM »

So how low can they go?  I stopped by 4 dealerships in the last two weeks, and each one in Central Florida area had at least 30-40 07 models on the floor. Limited baggers, but they were in the mix too.  One dealership had 10 08's in crates, and refuses to put them out until all the 07's are gone.  Wonder what happens from here?  Seems the market is very soft currently. Will they beg people to take one soon at steep discounts?  Wondering....
Rhino

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 11:15:13 PM »

On a $35,000 car or truck invoice is going to run around $5,000 less, so I suppose it would be in that ballpark. 

I guess what ticked me off the other day was that I was checking a price for a friend on a new FLTR.  I called the dealer that used the last three purchases to include my 07 jester.  I was hoping to hear that he would get somewhere under MSRP, but no luck.

But I will stay with my original comment; I will not buy new again!  Or used from a stealer.

When enough people stay away from inflated pricing by the stealer's then MOCO...yes MOCO will have to force incentives just like the big three to get people into the dealerships.

By the way, you can't compare a CVO with a Shelby.  You're not going to find a 6 month old Shelby on ebay for 80% of it's purchase price like my 07 jester. IN THE SAME MODEL YEAR!

It's true, one of my good friends bought a used 07 jester Black & Orange in May for $29,000...I paid $34,995 last October.  Yes, I had to have one and it was me that made the choice.  When I sell this one I will have to wait for used late model the next time.

I'm gonna hold out for a used water cooled SE in 09 1/2 or 2010.  Their coming.
Unapologetically American!

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 04:47:12 AM »

saw a 07 fxssse in Jan. in Kingman AZ, have two local dealers ,5 miles apart in FL. Decided this was the HD I had been waiting for 35 years, yes hard core Harley! Went to "my favorite" and all they had was a yellow one way to flashey for a old man like me. I then went to the other one and they "told if I put down money they would find another color for me as their next was yellow due april 17, I said OK put my money down 1000.00 bike came in even with strike I was excited. They told me they would keep the yellow one and look for me next one,Yea right.Went to my favorite dealer they said no problem they had a red one coming on april 27,got my money back and paid MSRP for it. other dealer had the yellow one marked up 2000.00 over Msrp was still sitting 3weeks after I picked mine up. Have seen fxssse latley at 7000.00 over MSRP at two dealers in two different states. It is all what the market will bare, and how rich your buyers are. I work in retail and don,t make a lot of money but love harleys needless to say I won't buy a quart of oil from the "yuppie dealer"' but they will keep their dealership and make alot of money. 25 years ago they would have gone broke! old bike has 72000 miles on it. there are only two kind of people on earth those who own HARLEYS and those who don't , thankfuly I have owned 5 Love and Kisses to all woman harley riders  hdhawg

Welcome to the site make sure you introduce your self in the new members section.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 05:33:08 AM »

We should all sell our Harleys, buy Hondas, and meet at the Honda Hoot next year!  That would fix them folks at the MOCO.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 09:07:23 AM »

We should all sell our Harleys, buy Hondas, and meet at the Honda Hoot next year!  That would fix them folks at the MOCO.

I like it. Send Willie a picture of before (HD) and after (Honda) and offer him a chance to speak to the faithful, long term, HD family at the nearest Hoot or Wing Ding. Maybe that will get their attention.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 09:10:27 AM »

Good idea, just like the brainstorm I had to show the State of Washington when the instituted the helmet law and I sold my '89 Springer in protest.

All that did was cost me a bunch of $$$$$ when I bought my new '93 DWG.  :huepfenlol2:

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 08:01:09 PM »

It might be better for us to have our CUSEs customized to look like Wings.  We'd just have to add plastic.  I bet a Fatboy could be customized to look like a VTX.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2007, 06:27:33 PM »

Victory has 3500 pre-books for the new vision touring bike. Some of them have to be Harley riders.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2007, 07:09:23 PM »

I'm Way ahead of you

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2007, 02:35:41 PM »

In the past when there were shortages, dealers were jacking up the prices.  The MOCO frowned on this activity and rewarded dealers that sold at MSRP with extra inventory.  Back in 1998, a family member bought an anniversary Heritage and the dealer told them that they had to register the bike before delivery.  My brother in law had to call Milwaukee and get them to OK his taking the bike unregistered.  It had no lien or loan.  There used to be a gray market where by people would buy bikes near MSRP and not register them and wait for the supply to run out and then sell them brand new for a big chunk of change.  Of course this does not apply now. 
One rule:
Supply and Demand
No such thing as "dealer trades", but if one of the "Snow Locked" dealers wants to sell their inventory to other dealers, like say in Arizona, they can do so but still must register it which must be done within a certain number of days of sale (that dealer in Arizona becomes both the registered and legal owner of that new bike!).  The snow bound dealer (with not many sales in the dead of winter) records a sale with MOCO which helps maintain his "future" allocation new bike inventory volume.
The person in AZ who purchased that bike will be given a similar song and dance about a "preregistered" bike in his inventory.  The second selling dealer is actually selling a use vehicle (once registered it is considered used by most motor vehicle Dept's)
Bottom line is a dealer can't sell without registering the vehicle.  If someone could purchase for less than MSRP, they could always advertise and sell to someone to make a fast buck.  That first dealer is not giving much up when they sell to the dealer in Arizona.  That is why, when the demand was so high, the second dealer could ask for another $2,000 over MSRP and still make a profit.

The MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) is what the original selling dealer submits to DMV.  After that, the title is all that exists.  The original dealer could pass of the MSO to the next dealer but won't log a sale and may have his allocation from MOCO reduced.
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 24 queries.