Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: HD Cust Serv Call Campaign - 110 Head Gaskets  (Read 60294 times)

patbowdy

• CVO1: 07 screamin eagle ultra
Re: HD Cust Serv Call Campaign - 110 Head Gaskets
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2007, 11:45:15 AM »

Thanks, I am experiencing the same scenario spoke with Diana and met with the factory rep. My new motor and trans are due in today.
Some days are magic, some days are tragic

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2007, 12:46:58 PM »

Thanks, I am experiencing the same scenario spoke with Diana and met with the factory rep. My new motor and trans are due in today.

What is the reason for the motor change, crank runout?

Also what is the reason for the tranny swapout?

This is a learning experience for everyone.

Thanks
Any day on the bike is a good day.

patbowdy

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2007, 01:00:11 PM »

Sorry, The transmission is very noise even by the motor companies standards. The engine blew two sets of head gaskets and is getting progressively noisier. I am at 6,000 miles now. this bike is completely stock as i am afraid to change anything until they come up with somekind of real fix. I probably won't get it broken in until snow time. So I will wait until spring to try to deal with what I think is the root problem TOO MUCH HEAT.

vagabond6542

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2007, 12:48:57 PM »

Chief,
The VIN is 951988.
I finally bit the "head gasket" problem. The rear cylinder was dripping oil on to the transmission case and showed sign of leakage on the passengers floorboard. The mileage was 6410 miles before it went to the shop on 10/02/07.

There seems to be a senerio going on with the 110's. The overheating, oil going to 310 deg F, and the engine running hot has created a slew of problems. My Primary chain had to be replaced along with the auto tensioner at 6171 miles.

If interested, I'll update this information at a later time when I know all the details.

Vagabond :trailer:

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2007, 07:42:10 PM »

Chief,
The VIN is 951988.
I finally bit the "head gasket" problem. The rear cylinder was dripping oil on to the transmission case and showed sign of leakage on the passengers floorboard. The mileage was 6410 miles before it went to the shop on 10/02/07.

There seems to be a senerio going on with the 110's. The overheating, oil going to 310 deg F, and the engine running hot has created a slew of problems. My Primary chain had to be replaced along with the auto tensioner at 6171 miles.

If interested, I'll update this information at a later time when I know all the details.

Vagabond :trailer:

While at the dealer, have them check crank runout.  Many are out of spec and you get a new motor.  Evemn if you have to pay the hour's labor it's worth piece of mind.  If the spec is beyond 12 thous. you get a new motor. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

saddlebow

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 06 SEFB
    • CVO2: 07 SEUC [gone]
    • CVO3: 15 SESG
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2007, 03:36:43 PM »

Well, it must be working.....
just called HD customer service line [from the first post] and got a recorded message that "Due to technical difficulties, our call center is closed.  Please hang up and try your call later."  It's 12:30 on the left coast, 3:330 on the right........ WTF?
Wanted to add my VIN to the list of weeping 110s.......
Bikers know why dogs stick their heads out the window....

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2007, 05:36:46 PM »

just called HD customer service line [from the first post] and got a recorded message that "Due to technical difficulties, our call center is closed.  Please hang up and try your call later."  It's 12:30 on the left coast, 3:330 on the right........ WTF?
Last week I tried calling customer service, was on hold for about a half hour, finally some gal comes on and asks me what my problem was,  then put me back on hold.  After about another 20 minutes I finally hung up.  Either they are way understaffed, are experiencing too many problems (do to poor workmanship), or are just so big that they don't give a rat's ass.  -Retail PLUS!! :nervous: 
PS  -Good thing we don't have to count on these things for daily riders! 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2007, 09:15:08 PM »

Last week I tried calling customer service, was on hold for about a half hour, finally some gal comes on and asks me what my problem was,  then put me back on hold.  After about another 20 minutes I finally hung up.  Either they are way understaffed, are experiencing too many problems (do to poor workmanship), or are just so big that they don't give a rat's ass.  -Retail PLUS!! :nervous: 
PS  -Good thing we don't have to count on these things for daily riders! 

Since most of us have come to the realization that "customer service" and "Harley-Davidson" are mutually exclusive, I'm guessing you're calling the wrong place.  You need to look up the number for the "we've got your money, now go away" department. 

I figure the problems with getting through will be fixed very soon, when the MoCo outsources it's call center to China.  They will be able to afford many more people (at $0.50 per hour), so getting your calls answered should be much easier.  The chance of speaking to someone with an actual clue, or of getting your problem solved, won't change.  But at least someone will pick up the phone.   

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

saddlebow

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 06 SEFB
    • CVO2: 07 SEUC [gone]
    • CVO3: 15 SESG
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2007, 10:13:31 PM »

ok it gets better.
Got through to HD customer service 'hot'line after four layers of VM instructions.
Matt very politely opened a file for me and gave me the number for it; asked what my complaints were.
"I paid $35K for a motorcycle that runs too hot and leaks oil at the heads.  Are there any service bulletins about how to fix the overheating and take care of the oil leaks?'
Matt: " Not that I'm aware of, sir."
"Do you know if this is a recurring problem?"
I don't know."
Have you heard of any other 110s having overheating and leaking problems?
"I'm not sure."
Then please let me speak to someone who does know.
"I can confirm that there have been other complaints."
Any service bulletins or suggestions?
"I understand that some dealers add equipment to make the bikes run cooler by adjusting the fuel air mixture."
I'm in CA and my dealer won't do that.  Are you telling me the factory suggests that I break the law and modify the emissions equipment?"
No, no sir, we require that the bikes comply with all EPA regulations."

After he couldn't find the part no for the revised gasket [07A] I gave it to him and he ran that for service bulletins to explain the change.  None. 
Also left ms for the guy mentioned early in this thread; should I hold my breath til he calls back?

I'm trying not to get really angry over this...but I can't and I'm mad as hell.  I've been reading about all of the other problems but kept thinking "not me" ....and then the screaming eagle flew over and dumped on on me too.

I have a lot of confidence in my dealer and its service guys. But they won't eat anything more than the mothership will.  I may decide to take the Hoist approach and say 'f%%^ it, and F^^^ you HD" and just go do it right.  The frustrating thing is that HD could do it right, if these were really the hand built special ops bike they want you to think. But like the EPA choked cars of the eighties, the bikes are more and more sizzle on the outside and hopelessly compromised engineering underneath.  Nice to upgrade the brakes and go to an electronic throttle, but both are useless if the bike's in the shop.  Does the ABS make you stop better when your engine seizes up at 85 MPH?

In my other life, one of the things I do is practice law and do complex business litigation of all different sorts. [my REAL job, raising four teenagers, makes me crazy enough to need to ride at least an hour a day.....]
So as I was driving home from the dealer, I started thinking about whether a lawsuit would make sense.  And unfortunately, it does.  I'd be interested hearing from anyone else in CA who has been or is going through this to compare notes.

" I think this situation absolutely requires a futile and stupid gesture on somebody's part.  And we're just the guys to do it!" -John Blutarsky
ride safe....

Bikers know why dogs stick their heads out the window....

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2007, 08:52:16 AM »

ok it gets better.
Got through to HD customer service 'hot'line after four layers of VM instructions.
Matt very politely opened a file for me and gave me the number for it; asked what my complaints were.
"I paid $35K for a motorcycle that runs too hot and leaks oil at the heads.  Are there any service bulletins about how to fix the overheating and take care of the oil leaks?'
Matt: " Not that I'm aware of, sir."
"Do you know if this is a recurring problem?"
I don't know."
Have you heard of any other 110s having overheating and leaking problems?
"I'm not sure."
Then please let me speak to someone who does know.
"I can confirm that there have been other complaints."
Any service bulletins or suggestions?
"I understand that some dealers add equipment to make the bikes run cooler by adjusting the fuel air mixture."
I'm in CA and my dealer won't do that.  Are you telling me the factory suggests that I break the law and modify the emissions equipment?"
No, no sir, we require that the bikes comply with all EPA regulations."

After he couldn't find the part no for the revised gasket [07A] I gave it to him and he ran that for service bulletins to explain the change.  None. 
Also left ms for the guy mentioned early in this thread; should I hold my breath til he calls back?

I'm trying not to get really angry over this...but I can't and I'm mad as hell.  I've been reading about all of the other problems but kept thinking "not me" ....and then the screaming eagle flew over and dumped on on me too.

I have a lot of confidence in my dealer and its service guys. But they won't eat anything more than the mothership will.  I may decide to take the Hoist approach and say 'f%%^ it, and F^^^ you HD" and just go do it right.  The frustrating thing is that HD could do it right, if these were really the hand built special ops bike they want you to think. But like the EPA choked cars of the eighties, the bikes are more and more sizzle on the outside and hopelessly compromised engineering underneath.  Nice to upgrade the brakes and go to an electronic throttle, but both are useless if the bike's in the shop.  Does the ABS make you stop better when your engine seizes up at 85 MPH?

In my other life, one of the things I do is practice law and do complex business litigation of all different sorts. [my REAL job, raising four teenagers, makes me crazy enough to need to ride at least an hour a day.....]
So as I was driving home from the dealer, I started thinking about whether a lawsuit would make sense.  And unfortunately, it does.  I'd be interested hearing from anyone else in CA who has been or is going through this to compare notes.

" I think this situation absolutely requires a futile and stupid gesture on somebody's part.  And we're just the guys to do it!" -John Blutarsky
ride safe....

SB,

I feel your pain. To make life easier, whenever you call in, go to "0" right off the bat. That will get you to an operator and they can get you hooked up a lot quicker, especially since you've now got a number. I have been speaking with John ??? (I wish I could remember his last name, not Selinsky).

Bottom line.... Lots of people , at HD, are looking into the problems with the 110, but they haven't come out with a solution yet. It's obvious that they could fix it easily, but that fix would probably put them out of EPA compliance, so that won't happen.

It's a very popular position to label them all as a bunch of idiots, but I believe they are stuck between a rock and a hard place, trying to get a mass-produced, large-displacement, air-cooled motor to meet EPA requirements and still make them money.

Am I tired of it? Yes. Mine leaks, has been for more than half of its miles. I had it all cleaned up and then did about 130 miles over the weekend for the breast cancer walk. Now the top of the motor is all wet again. I'll clean it off again and let it do the same next week. Then I've got about 1,200 the following weekend. It should be really messy after that one.

It's a crappy place to be, owner of a leaky $35,000 motorcycle that is. But I guess being in the position of owning a $35,000 motorcycle tells me life ain't so bad afterall.

Rambling over.

:indian_chief:

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2007, 11:30:31 AM »

Is the info on this site being reported to anyone in the MoCo who has authority?  Or is it just so we can all feel comfort knowing that the same afflictions are being accomplished by our brethern? :nixweiss:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2007, 12:43:51 PM »

Is the info on this site being reported to anyone in the MoCo who has authority?  Or is it just so we can all feel comfort knowing that the same afflictions are being accomplished by our brethern? :nixweiss:

Steve,

The idea behing the thread was to urge people to call in and be heard. I think it has been successful in that regard. As far as the MoCo knowing about the information, I've never had it confirmed to me, but I am pretty comfortable in thinking that they know about this site and probably learn a lot from it too.

:indian_chief:

patbowdy

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2007, 11:21:54 AM »

I left my leaking but running bike at the dealership on Wendsday to have the motor and transmission replaced. I was told it would be ready on Friday afternoon.
I called on Friday and was told the new motor had no oil pressure. I called the mo co and tried the "0" trick and got a receptionist who asked me for my trouble ticket number I told her I did not have it with me and asked to speak to someone with the authority to make a decision, I was promptly put on hold for 20 minutes. I popped out on Phillips phone and was told that my trouble ticket was closed. I asked how that could be as I didn't have my bike and the new engine had no oil pressure, he said he would put his technical people in touch with my dealer and try to solve the problem. I went to the dealer on Saturday and they told me they ran it with no oil pressure but they didn't think it was hurt. They took it back out and found the problem the, the return oil passage in the transmission was blocked by a silicone plug. It was jammed in so tight that they had to break it up to remove it. they also removed the oil pump and let me inspect it. I checked the cams lifters and rockers, no signs of damage.

Now for the question of the day do I let them put it back together or do I ask for another new motor. i am about tired of this crap.This $35,000 "Custom Vehicle Operations" Hand Built with Care Bike has been apart more times than my 10 year old grandsons erector set.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2007, 12:09:40 PM »

I called on Friday and was told the new motor had no oil pressure.

I went to the dealer on Saturday and they told me they ran it with no oil pressure

If they suggest the motor is not hurt (as it actually might not be) then you should suggest that if they are sure of this they would have no reason not to stand behind their own assertion.  They should be willing to extend the warranty on this new and potentially damaged motor significantly and they should be willing to sign an agreement pre-accepting liability for all health/medical and property losses incurred and all future earnings lost if this motor locks up and wrecks you.  Tell them it's their choice, you're willing to accept these things or another new motor.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2007, 07:27:50 PM »

If they suggest the motor is not hurt (as it actually might not be) then you should suggest that if they are sure of this they would have no reason not to stand behind their own assertion.  They should be willing to extend the warranty on this new and potentially damaged motor significantly and they should be willing to sign an agreement pre-accepting liability for all health/medical and property losses incurred and all future earnings lost if this motor locks up and wrecks you.  Tell them it's their choice, you're willing to accept these things or another new motor.
In a perfect world, yes.  However my prediction is that they will say "This is not a Burger King, you get it our way, or you don't get the SOB at all!" :coolblue:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:41:27 PM by Steve G »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 20 queries.