Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: HD Cust Serv Call Campaign - 110 Head Gaskets  (Read 60511 times)

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
Re: HD Cust Serv Call Campaign - 110 Head Gaskets
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2007, 11:34:39 AM »

I suspect "Sporty" might be Willie  G posting  ;D

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2007, 12:01:39 PM »

Bwaaa Haaaa Haaaaa.  Ass hat.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2007, 12:08:41 PM »

From Wikipedia: TROLL - An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.

Gordon_on_a_Sporty is most definitely a TROLL.  I've seen them on other forums, he probably trolls around on his sporty dropping grenades and generally trying to just start $hit.  Cut from the same cloth as those that write computer viruses...useless for anything other than creating confusion.  Ignore him...he will eventually ride that sportster off into the fog that he lives within.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2007, 01:02:51 PM »

Does anyone know if the MoCo has acknowledged the problems that this post is trying to communicate?  So far I only see the dealerships replacing gaskets and sometimes motors- because of crank run out issues. 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

RedBone

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE Copper Canyon
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2007, 01:20:01 PM »

You're absolutely right Gary. We all know these engines have issues. Now we have this new guy thinking he has all the answers because he got his money back. Woo Hoo, I'm impressed. Way to fix things Sporty! Shows a lot of grit and determination on his part, huh? We have this place to understand them and compare notes. Nobody's F'd up their motors as our illustrious new member has claimed. We've gone our own ways to try and improve them. I do agree with him about these underdesigned 110 in these bikes. Your choice is to continue to deal with HD or take it completely into your own hands, like some of us have done. Either way, we love the bikes enough to deal with the issue head-on, and not give up on them. And yeah, we've earned the right to bitch about them as we go thru these processes we undertake. But we're not taking the easy way out like Sporty over here did. Big deal, he got his money back! Have fun Touring on a Sportster! :P

Hoist! 8)Hoist Could not have said it better.Cvo probably to much bike for sporty

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2007, 03:38:52 PM »

From Wikipedia: TROLL - An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.....

If it looks like bait and smells like bait, it’s probably bait. Bait can be found almost anywhere on the Internet. Anytime that I get the itch to bite on some, I simply push the Internet button on my Confuser and voila, it’s bait city!

You don’t seem to find much bait around this place; kind of refreshing actually, although I must confess that that I’m feeling this familiar tug…..oh what the hell, I’ll bite!!

Look fella, I don’t appreciate your tone; besides Hoist tells me that your Mamma wears army boots, and is so fat she don’t need the Internet, she’s already worldwide!!!

He won’t be back.

djkak

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2007, 04:19:47 PM »

If it looks like bait and smells like bait, it’s probably bait. Bait can be found almost anywhere on the Internet. Anytime that I get the itch to bite on some, I simply push the Internet button on my Confuser and voila, it’s bait city!

You don’t seem to find much bait around this place; kind of refreshing actually, although I must confess that that I’m feeling this familiar tug…..oh what the hell, I’ll bite!!

Look fella, I don’t appreciate your tone; besides Hoist tells me that your Mamma wears army boots, and is so fat she don’t need the Internet, she’s already worldwide!!!

He won’t be back.

djkak

:ROFLOL: Gotta love dj's style! As usual, you sure know how to word things dj! ::) ;D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2007, 04:54:57 PM »

I just ran into a good friend of mine who has been a Harley mechanic for over 30 years.  He works for the Cheyenne, WY dealer presently.  He is also a very talented machinist.  I asked him about the gasket and crank run out issues.  He said their shop works with a California Harley dealership who specializes in high performance.  He didn't give me the name of that dealer.  Anyway, that dealer has a service department who makes truing jiggs especially for the 110 motors.  (don't know what the difference should be).  They true and weld the two part assembly.  They come out with close to zero run-out.  My buddy told me that the flywheels "sizzor" when the engines are hammered on and that's what causes them to come out of tolerance.  He said as far as the leaking head gasket problem goes, they have fixed several of them.  He said the gaskets slide.  He said they use a different gasket that the MoCo is putting out now, and use some kind of copper sealing compound with it.  Also he said that they adjust the timing- which is way too advanced as it comes stock- with a download flash from the MoCo.  He said they have several flashes including one for high altitude.  He said retarding the timing this way really cools down the engines.  I asked him about different part numbers, etc, he told me there are none although these gaskets are a running model year change.  He gave me the name of a service guy I'm supposed to talk to who tunes engines for their sister shop Deluxe HD in Casper, WY.  I guess this guy is way above average in tuning SE Race Tuners.  -Sounds like someone I can finally get some help from when the time is needed!  -Retail Plus!! :pepper:
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2007, 06:19:38 PM »

Hey everyone,

Just back in from Tampa. Bike goes in to the dealer on Wednesday for new jugs, rings and whatever else it needs for this round, the second round of repairs. Bike ran great, its just having trouble keeping the oil on the inside.

:indian_chief:

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2007, 06:32:04 PM »

Welcome back and good luck. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2007, 06:33:45 PM »

Hey everyone,

Just back in from Tampa. Bike goes in to the dealer on Wednesday for new jugs, rings and whatever else it needs for this round, the second round of repairs. Bike ran great, its just having trouble keeping the oil on the inside.

Glad you're back safe and sound, Chuck...hope the repairs go as planned.   :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2007, 06:50:59 PM »

Glad you're back safe and sound, Chuck...hope the repairs go as planned.   :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Terry. Even if it doesn't fix it, I'll still ride it. I've been putting this off since 4,800 miles. Turned 8,500 today coming back from Tampa and its running great, just kind of oily tho.

Fruitcake

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: My wifes bike 2004 FLSTC
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2007, 07:58:09 PM »

I've had a ticket open for 5-6 weeks.  Dealing with John Selenski.  This was initiated after writing to the CEO. 

Built August 2006
Leak first noticed around 3000.
Head gasket replaced 3600
leak reappeared 3800

Well the wife and I went for a  220 mile ride this past Sunday. As I got on Rt 2 West off Rt 140 and got up to around  2500 RPM's and higher in 5th and 6th gear the vibration got so bad I was unable to see my wife clearly behind me in the mirrors they where vibrating so badly.

I never had this problem with my 2002 RK and it had the 95 big bore kit, gear driven cams, and true duel Rinehart exhaust system. I should have never traded in the old gal!

I have been calling HD dealers in MA,RI,NH and VT and no service dept had ever checked crank run out on any 07 or 08 SERK and no one has been complaining about vibrations on the 2007 or 08 SERK I find that a hard nut to shwallow, why did they come up with the IDS? 

I no you live in MA, what is the name of the HD dealer that replaced your engine?

I just got back from taking my wife's 2004 Softail for a ride and man that 88 B engine is so dam smooth I think I'm on a dam Jap bike, and I was going 85 MPH.

no vibrations. I'm well aware that the high hp and tour engines vibrate but this is crazy. 

My serk is back to stock, no more PC 111 no more rush slip on's it has the new IDS, that did help a lot but it is still bad.

SEND HELP!
We love Riding the hills of the North East Kingdom of VT, Northern NH and Western ME.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2007, 09:42:07 PM »

.....got up to around  2500 RPM's and higher in 5th and 6th gear the vibration got so bad I was unable to see my wife clearly behind me in the mirrors they where vibrating so badly.

I never had this problem with my 2002 RK.....My serk is back to stock, no more PC 111 no more rush slip on's it has the new IDS, that did help a lot but it is still bad.

SEND HELP!

H-D's Tech Tip says something like the rider will not begin to notice excessive vibration until the runout approaches 0.020” (twenty thou) which is nearly double the maximum allowable. I can’t verify this one way or the other, but if it is true than there should be very little risk in offering to pay for a crank runout check, if in fact the vibration is caused by flywheel shift. The most inexpensive way to go would be to have the Dealer remove the motor sprocket and check the sprocket shaft runout.

Significant flywheel shift will result in a fairly substantial variance of the primary chain’s tension as the engine is rotated with the spark plugs removed. You will have very serious tight and loose spots in the primary chain tension as the engine is rotated.

You can check the runout on the camchest side of the machine, but you must remove the camplate assembly in order to get an accurate measurement. Checking the cam side would cost considerably more.

Ask your Dealer to reference Tech Tip #324. I am thinking that 1.50 hours should easily cover the time necessary to R&R the sprocket and check the runout.

Good luck.

djkak

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2007, 09:47:27 PM »

Well the wife and I went for a  220 mile ride this past Sunday. As I got on Rt 2 West off Rt 140 and got up to around  2500 RPM's and higher in 5th and 6th gear the vibration got so bad I was unable to see my wife clearly behind me in the mirrors they where vibrating so badly.

I never had this problem with my 2002 RK and it had the 95 big bore kit, gear driven cams, and true duel Rinehart exhaust system. I should have never traded in the old gal!

I have been calling HD dealers in MA,RI,NH and VT and no service dept had ever checked crank run out on any 07 or 08 SERK and no one has been complaining about vibrations on the 2007 or 08 SERK I find that a hard nut to shwallow, why did they come up with the IDS? 

I no you live in MA, what is the name of the HD dealer that replaced your engine?

I just got back from taking my wife's 2004 Softail for a ride and man that 88 B engine is so dam smooth I think I'm on a dam Jap bike, and I was going 85 MPH.

no vibrations. I'm well aware that the high hp and tour engines vibrate but this is crazy. 

My serk is back to stock, no more PC 111 no more rush slip on's it has the new IDS, that did help a lot but it is still bad.

SEND HELP!

That would be Kelley's in Billerica.  So far so good.  Mine measured .020.  I did not notice vibration, but coulsd not see rebuilding the top end without checking the bottom end.
Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 24 queries.