Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Whudjya Pay?  (Read 11544 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
Re: Whudjya Pay?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »

Maybe dealers who are a few hundred miles away are willing to sell at MSRP because when your bike breaks, you won't be able/willing to take it back for service there.  Out the door and they're done! :nixweiss:You'll take it to someone more local.  -Just a thought.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 07:34:21 PM »

Maybe dealers who are a few hundred miles away are willing to sell at MSRP because when your bike breaks, you won't be able/willing to take it back for service there.  Out the door and they're done! :nixweiss:You'll take it to someone more local.  -Just a thought.
I think it would be just the opposite. The ones that are distant and knowing they are only getting that one time point of contact ($$$) I would think would be inclined to charge over MSRP. Dealers make more profit off Part/Accessory sales, Motorclothes sales, and Service then they do from sale of the bike.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

saddlebow

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 06 SEFB
    • CVO2: 07 SEUC [gone]
    • CVO3: 15 SESG
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 08:03:52 PM »

d00d's right: anyone in the car business will tell you that the front end of the store [sales] only job is get as much product out the door as possible so that the back end [shop/parts] stays busy.  Shop gets paid to do warranty work, gets paid to do repair work, gets paid to do whatever.  And that's where the profit of dealership, for the most part, comes from.  If you think about it, your dealership out in the woods would be out of business if all they do is sell bikes and never see them again.
 It's more about who you're dealing with; I got both of mine at MSRP, no more, no less, at the local dealer, who has done nothing but take great care of me as a result.  Most of my successful relationships in the motor vehicle world have come about by finding pros and letting them earn a living at what they do. Some dealership owners are pros, and stay in business a long time.  Out here on the left coast, we have dealers that have been around forever [like mine], dealers that have changed hands recently [usually for the worse] and the brand new ones [which are uniformly the pits.]  The newer dealers and the new owners of old dealers seems to think that they need to make a killing on every deal.  Maybe they DO need to make a killing on every deal just to pay the monthly nut.  Find a dealer who remembers AMF, and see what kind of a price you get.  Bet it's MSRP without a lot of add ons....
Bikers know why dogs stick their heads out the window....

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 08:40:15 PM »

I paid 1K over MSRP, but the sales manager ended up giving me $1K more on my tradein, so I guess you could, for me at least call that MSRP.  Bought it at Richmond HD North.  Their service department has been great to me also, so guess it was worth it. :) 

Just a minor correction on the first post.  His math is just a tad off...if there's 4200 Ultras being made and 1800 are Anniversary, that leaves only 2400 left to be divided between canyon copper/silver and white/silver, or 1200 each.  Does make them a bit more limited.

Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 12:15:22 PM »

I think it would be just the opposite. The ones that are distant and knowing they are only getting that one time point of contact ($$$) I would think would be inclined to charge over MSRP. Dealers make more profit off Part/Accessory sales, Motorclothes sales, and Service then they do from sale of the bike.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

With high quality products this would be true, however when you make an inferior product and people have to whine and keep coming back to get it fixed, and it never does get fixed, it's an aggravation to the dealer.  My '06 never did get fully "up to snuff" before I traded it off.  I got tired of bringing it back and the service department got tired of seeing me. 

Sioux Falls' J&L is a great dealer.  I only lived about 5 mi. away from it, and they always took good care of me.  -However, I moved.  The closest dealer is 55 miles away.  I wish I could say this dealer has taken good care of my service needs, but I hate to have to even contact them.  I feel forced to buy from them because I have no other options- no other dealers near by.  J&L offered me $1,500 more for my trade in, but I live 400 miles away.  Sure enough, when I worked out the deal for a new '08, the local dealer (I worked with one of the owners) wanted to know where I had purchased my '06.  (It was from them).  I have enough troubles getting service work done now without having the service department shoving my bike to the back of the line because they see a different dealer's sticker on it.  I hate bad-mouthing anyone so I won't mention this dealer's name.  -But I'm sure anyone with half a brain can look at my profile and figure it out.  -With the couple of add-ons and extended warranty, this bike will cost me $40,000 dollars.  The sad part is that after hearing of all the bs 90% of the people who report on this site have had with their 110 motors, I'm not even looking forward to getting it.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 05:46:20 PM »

I got a Fatboy in 1997 from Southside H-D in Virginia Beach Va. and got it for a fair price but over MSRP because it had the factory custom paint set and lots of extras for that year. I dealt with them for all my service needs and when i wanted a 2006 FLHTCUSE they put me on a wait list and would NOT take a deposit for the bike. They did call me and tell me about a Watermelon that came in and asked if I wanted it. I told them I wanted another color so they called the next person on the list and it was sold within an hour. Several months later a Haze came in and I told them yes and they held it for me. I had done my homework as far as a fair trade-in price for my Fatboy and I realized i would not get as much as selling on my own but I didn't want the hassles and possible fraud in selling on my own.
Southside H-D sold me the 2006 Haze at MSRP plus freight and prep and gave me a discount on parts and extended warranty. As for trade-in I got what I considered a fair trade also.They will also cover any mods to the bike as long as they do the install such as my S&S SPOs and Arlen Ness Big Sucker etc. I have always had positive dealings with the people at Southside H-D.
Another nearby dealer is Bayside H-D in Portsmouth ,Va. They do allow deposits and have a computer printout of bikes they expect each quarter so you can get an idea when to expect your bike to arrive. I really like that idea but unfortunately they had deposits on all of their FLHTCUSE bikes by the time I made it to them. Several people I know have bought from them at MSRP plus freight and prep. They also have a great service department and have dealt with many employees at Bayside H-D and have found them to be great people too. Bayside also has a dyno to tune your bike.

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 06:53:18 PM »

As I continue my search for an '08 CVO Ultra, I'm amazed at all the reasons the dealers give me for why they are charging over MSRP?

Some of my favorites include "They are rare"...  OK, let's work it out...  4200 CVO Ultras for '08.  1800 are Anniversary editions.  Which means that 3600 of the 4200 are either the Red/Silver or White/Silver combo.  Now if my math is correct, knowing that The MoCo did an even distribution across the line that means that there are...  let's see here 3600 divided by 2...  You guessed it approx 1800 Red/Silver and 1800 White/Silver models to be made.  So much for rarity.

Then there is the "once they're gone, they're gone" line.  Indeed - so how do you explain the fact that there are seven '07 CVO Ultras currently available on eBay.  Four with under 1000 miles and two with less than 200 miles on the clock.  So much for the once-in-a-lifetime argument.

I particularly liked the guy who told me that retail prices are set by the MoCo.  I won't even begin to discuss the variety of reasons that one doesn't hold water.

Just once I'd like to hear a salesman say to me "because the owner of the dealership is a greedy sumbitch who likes scrooin the customers".

OK - with that rant out of the way - tell me...  How many of you got your CVO new for MSRP or less?  I'm curious if it can actually be done.

Harley.

I suppose My responce to you is "Why ask why ? Im sure you knew the answere BEFORE you asked it ...PROFIT ..its what feeds ALL our familey's and allows us the luxury of riding a Harley!

Bubba
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

MikeD

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 07:16:16 PM »

I got my SE fat boy for 500 below msrp. My dad got his se fat boy for 1000 below msrp, and a friend of ours had to get one, he got it at msrp I believe.  All at Cox's Northern Tier HD.  We drove to get them, but I'd buy from those guys again, only with a CVO though.  They are stingy on the regular bikes, but willing to cut a deal on a cvo.  Seems wierd but I guess theres only so many people that will dish out the $$$ bills for the cvo.

EGUC7

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 08:48:44 PM »

Paid MSRP, no freight, no prep for my '07SEUltra.  1,000 mile service free.  Mid-Ohio H-D in Springfield, OH. 

Ride Safe.
Walt

Black Label Mark

• Full CVO Member
  • 2008 SE Ultra & 2003 FXDXT
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 03:21:42 PM »

I paid MSRP plus freight and setup for my '08 SEUC.   Purchased from Livermore HD, Livermore, CA.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 07:19:57 PM »

I paid msrp for my SEEG @ Jims in ST PETE and I paid -3500.00 under msrp for our SEVROD in Albany, Ga.  ;D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 08:22:56 PM »

2007 SE Ultra, MSRP plus prep. I also paid $999 for the first 20,000 miles in factory service. I liked using the local dealership so I felt it was a good deal and I bought the 7 year unlimited mile factory warranty. Now I am real happy to have the protection.

93FXSTS

• CVO1: 2008 CUSE3
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 10:17:29 PM »

Paid MSRP + Frt.......no hassle purchase on a FLHTCUSE3 from a dealer 200 miles away from home!

:huepfenjump3:

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Screaming Eagle Road King
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2007, 09:05:32 PM »

Paid MSRP++

Didn't like to but wanted it....
2008 Screaming Eagle Road King

deucedog

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2007, 09:40:59 PM »

Paid MSRP++

Didn't like to but wanted it....

Did you take delivery yet?  If so, how about some photos of that beast?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 20 queries.