Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Question about timing  (Read 5002 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Question about timing
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 10:01:43 PM »

I'm tracking, but regardless.......a SERT marries to one ECM, so even if P/Ns are identical, the SERT cannot be used on both ECMs.
You were saying you can take your PC to another bike. I was brainstorming a way to take a SERT to another bike. Not running the SERT on two bikes at the same time. That's not possible w/a PC either is it?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 10:04:34 PM »

Gary,
Have a look at my DT readout.  ECM is encoded with the VIN.
The DT is reading the ECM. The SERT marries to that ECM. If you take the ECM with you then why can't it work on another bike? Just thinking out the box. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 10:07:29 PM »

an expensive proposition, and a costly dyno tune.
Don't you have to retune the PC when you move it to another bike? Even if both bikes have the same mods done to get optimum performance you would want to have it dyno'd.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 10:15:37 PM »

The DT is reading the ECM. The SERT marries to that ECM. If you take the ECM with you then why can't it work on another bike? Just thinking out the box. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I would think that you can do that.  Seems logical to me anyway.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 12:49:11 AM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

You can take an ECM on and off the same bike seamlessly.  Installing an ECM that's never been on a bike before requires jumping through extra hoops.  It's one of those hold your mouth right, flick the right signal, turn the switch to run, raise your right foot, flick the left signal on and off and on, shake your right booty and hold down the radio power button kind of things.

Never have taken an ECM from one bike to another. But the install of a new ECM on a bike it's never been on is an electronic mating process.  Can only assume, therefore, that the same process would be required to take a used ECM to a bike it's never been on before.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 05:33:01 AM »

yep, there is info stored in the speedo as well, i think, maybe eeprom? anyway, if you get another ecm, the vin has to be edited by dealer.

huge asterisk! i have not done this and may be talking smack, but in an effort to hack SERT, this is what i have came across. BTW, there seems to be a SERT hack if you have a good friend with digital technician.

REGGAB

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 07:33:38 AM »

yep, there is info stored in the speedo as well, i think, maybe eeprom? anyway, if you get another ecm, the vin has to be edited by dealer.

huge asterisk! i have not done this and may be talking smack, but in an effort to hack SERT, this is what i have came across. BTW, there seems to be a SERT hack if you have a good friend with digital technician.

Hey Red, it is my understanding that nowadays DT is nothing more than a computer, like the ones we're using, with a Citrix client and a secure internet connection back to the HD mothership, and a few proprietary connectors to interface with the bike(s), thus keeping all the "good software stuff" on Juneau Avenue.  Any truth to that, or is it still local software based?

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 07:43:47 AM »

Hey Red, it is my understanding that nowadays DT is nothing more than a computer, like the ones we're using, with a Citrix client and a secure internet connection back to the HD mothership, and a few proprietary connectors to interface with the bike(s), thus keeping all the "good software stuff" on Juneau Avenue.  Any truth to that, or is it still local software based?

i think you are correct.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 10:04:28 AM »

You can take an ECM on and off the same bike seamlessly.  Installing an ECM that's never been on a bike before requires jumping through extra hoops.  It's one of those hold your mouth right, flick the right signal, turn the switch to run, raise your right foot, flick the left signal on and off and on, shake your right booty and hold down the radio power button kind of things.

Never have taken an ECM from one bike to another. But the install of a new ECM on a bike it's never been on is an electronic mating process.  Can only assume, therefore, that the same process would be required to take a used ECM to a bike it's never been on before.
This brings up another question/concern I have (must be my day(s) for thinking out the box). Lets say you are using a SERT, and your ECM goes tits up. From what I'm understanding from your statement is that you can get a new ECM and insert/install the VIN for your bike in it. My question is will you have to get a new SERT? I'm thinking since the SERT (interface) marries to the ECM (VIN #), and you've installed/inserted the VIN # in the new ECM then it should work. :nixweiss:

It would be nice to know answers like this before standing at the service desk/parts counter and them telling you that you need to buy both ECM and SERT when you don't need to. >:(

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 10:51:21 AM »

AMEN!!!
So sayeth the Shepherd!
So sayeth the Flock!

It seems to me that since I can pull all my other H-D goodies from one bike and move move it to another, then I should be able to do the same with the SERT..................if that was my tuner of choice.

Fortunately, it isn't.  In no way am I saying it is a bad tuner.  I used it on the 02 Ultra, and liked it.  What I didn't like was it was useless to me once I got the SEUC.  Gonna stick with the PC.
Henry,

That idea would work IF the SERT had to remain attached to the bike like a PCIII.  The problem with allowing one SERT to be used on any bike relates back to $$$.  Why would you or anyone else buy the SERT if you could just borrow your buddies, tune your bike, and then hand the interface and CD back to your buddy?  You have to look at it not as buying a piece of hardware, but more like buying a license for the software.  Really not much different than the activation situation with computer software nowdays, so you can't share programs without paying for them.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

REGGAB

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 11:28:41 AM »

Henry,

That idea would work IF the SERT had to remain attached to the bike like a PCIII.  The problem with allowing one SERT to be used on any bike relates back to $$$.  Why would you or anyone else buy the SERT if you could just borrow your buddies, tune your bike, and then hand the interface and CD back to your buddy?  You have to look at it not as buying a piece of hardware, but more like buying a license for the software.  Really not much different than the activation situation with computer software nowdays, so you can't share programs without paying for them.

Jerry
Hi Jerry,
Tracking, but using the same thought process, if I buy a new computer without an OS, then I can legally install the OS from this computer on the new one....provided I uninstall the OS from this one first.  Still think the MOCO is dictating what we can and can't do, and that's fine.  I choose not to allow them to do that to me anymore.  JMHO.

Henry

Shovelhead Bob

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »

Never have taken an ECM from one bike to another. But the install of a new ECM on a bike it's never been on is an electronic mating process.  Can only assume, therefore, that the same process would be required to take a used ECM to a bike it's never been on before. There is more than doing the "Password Learn" procedure... Certain Delphi ECM's are NOT compatible with newer bikes... J1850 Serial Bus communications is the big one... Meaning that if one has a 2004 bike that has been SERT Tuned, and you attemt to transfer it to an 07 bike, it will not operate correctly, because it lacks the Serial Data communications ability, along with the inability to accept the newer 07 type map.....

FWIW, the SERT does mate to the ECM via a VIN, but it is also digitally married to the ECM... Data Dinks will understand digital encryption....

Any ECM can have the VIN changed... But the SERT is still encrypted to the "Base ECM" or Mother ECM..

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 01:01:41 PM »

FWIW, the SERT does mate to the ECM via a VIN, but it is also digitally married to the ECM... Data Dinks will understand digital encryption....

Any ECM can have the VIN changed... But the SERT is still encrypted to the "Base ECM" or Mother ECM..
Then would my theory of moving the ECM/SERT to another bike work then (as long as the ECM's were compatable)? Also from your statement if an ECM were to go tits up then the purchase of a new SERT is a must?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 01:07:46 PM »

This brings up another question/concern I have (must be my day(s) for thinking out the box). Lets say you are using a SERT, and your ECM goes tits up. From what I'm understanding from your statement is that you can get a new ECM and insert/install the VIN for your bike in it. My question is will you have to get a new SERT? I'm thinking since the SERT (interface) marries to the ECM (VIN #), and you've installed/inserted the VIN # in the new ECM then it should work. :nixweiss:

It would be nice to know answers like this before standing at the service desk/parts counter and them telling you that you need to buy both ECM and SERT when you don't need to. >:(

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Yes Gary.  New ECM would mean a new SERT.

Shovelhead Bob

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 01:08:35 PM »

Then would my theory of moving the ECM/SERT to another bike work then (as long as the ECM's were compatable)? Also from your statement if an ECM were to go tits up then the purchase of a new SERT is a must? Yes, a replacement SERT dongle/Key is a must... Been there, done that... ECM went bad due to faulty internal ground.... Injector PW was at 1.0mS..... HD graciously warrented the ECM and a Dongle....

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

The dongle is a great tool for Non-SERT married bikes, as the Data Mode will work on ANY H-D bike with a diagnostic port.....

So if your bud is complaining about a CEL and wants to know what it is and clear it, you can hook up the cables to your PC, and get in the ECM to see what the data is revealing.... Kind of like a Digital Technician for the bikes owner, just not all the additional enhancements...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 24 queries.