Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: IDS install break  (Read 5034 times)

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
Re: IDS install break
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 08:36:24 AM »

I've put 400 mile on the bike since the change , the only negative is a drop of 3mpg, and it's a bit harder to push due to more resistance in the pulley (which may account for the drop in mpg).

So fat this has been a popular mod, the V-rods have always had it. I can see the MoCo coming out with a retrofit to earlier years if they sell enough.

Why would there be more resistance in the pulley??

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 08:46:12 AM »

Acronym for the "Isolated Drive System."  Though I'd bet this crowd could come up with better words to represent those letters.

Question for the crowd (because it's late and I'm tired and lazy and don't want to look it up anywhere myself).  Have never placed an 06 and prior sprocket side by side with an 07 and newer.  What is different that keeps the IDS kit from retrofitting to 06 and prior year models?

Depending on what the answer might then further consider this: Is the difference such that if one were considering a wheel change could a wheel selection be made that would then allow a combination of wheel and IDS installation on 06 and prior models?

The biggest difference I know of is the belt width. The belts got a lot thinner in 07. The rest is unconfirmed, like wheel offset and the like.

:indian_chief:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 11:50:07 AM »

The biggest difference I know of is the belt width. The belts got a lot thinner in 07. The rest is unconfirmed, like wheel offset and the like.

Narrower belt.  Actually knew that but just wasn't thinking.  Thanks Chuck :2vrolijk_21: .

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »

BTW -- the "elbow grease" program for the IDS runs from 10/1/07 thru 1/31/08.

the cost at my shop (not including part) is $19.  Probably will do it when I take it in for rear gasket replace #3.....

Mark

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 07:56:36 PM »

So, if I understand correctly, this piece makes a Harley feel more like a metric bike and hurts fuel mileage in the process. :confused5: :nixweiss: :nervous:

Gee, I'm glad it won't fit my bikes. :oops:

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 10:28:22 PM »

1st, this topic needs to be moved. 2nd. I scanned the promo but this is the first time using the scanner so please be patient I can't seem to figure it out. d00d, how do I do it? the file (.tif) is too big.

The promo is "Elbow Grease" Promotion # 219 - P&A Labor Installation Credit Offer.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 01:52:28 AM »

So, if I understand correctly, this piece makes a Harley feel more like a metric bike and hurts fuel mileage in the process. :confused5: :nixweiss: :nervous:

Gee, I'm glad it won't fit my bikes. :oops:

Brian, I apparently missed something.  A pulley change brought a loss in fuel mileage?

Unless this damping system is simply slipping like hell or the sprocket change raised the RPMs up tremendously that can't really happen.  If the sprocket were that many teeth different the belt wouldn't work.  So we can feel confident that's not it.  If the system were slipping I'd expect it to feel a lot like a clutch slipping; and slipping badly.  Seems weird....  :nixweiss:

SE08RK

• Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 07:24:25 AM »

Harley should just send me the 100 bucks, mine already had it. Oh, it doesn't work that way? The IDS works as advertised with no additional anything except smoothness. It's well worth having installed or installing yourself IMHO.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 08:07:38 AM »

Brian, I apparently missed something.  A pulley change brought a loss in fuel mileage?

Unless this damping system is simply slipping like hell or the sprocket change raised the RPMs up tremendously that can't really happen.  If the sprocket were that many teeth different the belt wouldn't work.  So we can feel confident that's not it.  If the system were slipping I'd expect it to feel a lot like a clutch slipping; and slipping badly.  Seems weird....  :nixweiss:

It is not possible for the sprocket to "slip".  The number of drive teeth on the sprocket is unchanged.  I see no possible way this device can effect fuel mileage...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 08:08:23 AM »

Nidam posted back on the first page that it dropped his mileage by 3mpg and that there was more resistance in with the IDS pulley, doesn't make any sense to me.  It's a simple replacement, as long as it's the same size pulley it should change nothing related to mileage.  Perhaps something didn't get installed right on his.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 08:39:07 AM »

1st, this topic needs to be moved. 2nd. I scanned the promo but this is the first time using the scanner so please be patient I can't seem to figure it out. d00d, how do I do it? the file (.tif) is too big.

The promo is "Elbow Grease" Promotion # 219 - P&A Labor Installation Credit Offer.

Not 'D00d, but I'm pretty sure it's not the file size.  .tif files are not an allowed file type for attachments.  Your scanner should allow you to select the .jpg format when scanning, or even .gif.  Those are both allowed types.  Alternatively, I will PM you my e-mail addy and you can send the .tif file to me and I'll convert it to .jpg tonight.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 09:10:43 AM »

Leaving the house now for the dealership. I'll report back this afternoon.

Well ?!?!?!?!?! Dammit!!!! Where's my freakin' review?!?!?!?!?!  :D

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 09:18:48 AM »

Nidam posted back on the first page that it dropped his mileage by 3mpg and that there was more resistance in with the IDS pulley, doesn't make any sense to me.  It's a simple replacement, as long as it's the same size pulley it should change nothing related to mileage.  Perhaps something didn't get installed right on his.

goes w/ the $100 labor credit. this way you will come back and spend $200 to get it fixed properly
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 09:47:28 AM »

goes w/ the $100 labor credit. this way you will come back and spend $200 to get it fixed properly

Must be the HD Mission Statement....

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 11:13:30 AM »

Can't really explain the drop in mileage , but I've ridden the same 200 mile loop several times , all about the same pace. Pre -IDS 43mpg , post IDS 40 mpg.  In terms of resistance, either backing it out or pushing it in to the garage , there is more perceptible resistance. 

giving up 12 miles to the tank ( I don't run it past 4gal) is no big deal, and the increase in smoothness and perceived acceleration is worth it.  Being able to run easy at 60 in 6th is nice as well.

CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 20 queries.