Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Buttonfly, Un-Zipping as a Winter Project  (Read 4648 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Buttonfly, Un-Zipping as a Winter Project
« on: November 09, 2007, 08:05:45 PM »

Have discussed with several that due to serious machining, support and other issues I have need to un-Zippers the motor in the red bike.  Last winter's project of their ostensibly well designed "kit" all intended to play so well together was a bust; in several ways.  In preparation for doing it one last time (God I hope so ) parts started moving around several weeks ago.

Having lusted after and had the power coat and diamond cut thing of course one can't get off the pipe.  So off to Sumax parts went first.  Some didn't need to anyplace else though.  And it came back to me today.

Few months ago scored an oil pan on eBay for $20.  Sent it off to be powder coated with the other bits.  Here's what a power coated "candy apple spice" oil pan looks like.  It's not get diamond cut nor any other work.  Just the cost of the pan and another $42 to powder coat it. 

The color is a nice match to the bike.  This is a new color they didn't have last time.  It's a slightly better match to the bike than the old work.  Also seems to lay bit smoother than their prior work too.  Now just have to wait for machine work and then diamond cutting. 

Still don't think I'm being pessimistic saying I hope it's all here by February.  Even though Sumax seems to have been on the ball this time there's still two more vendors to screw things up :huepfenlol2: .

Nice color here though:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Buttonfly, Un-Zipping as a Winter Project
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:06:22 PM »

...and a very nice match to the bike.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 08:16:54 PM »

Why do I get the feeling that the cases and tranny will all match when you're done. ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 08:26:04 PM »

Why do I get the feeling that the cases and tranny will all match when you're done. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

No, not a chance.  The pan wouldn't either if I'd not scored the cheap one on eBay. 

Going through it again really with the same goal as the first time.  The problem was never the goal.  It was the company's poor implementation and inability to provide satisfactory product to meet it. 

I've got no desire to open the bottom end nor touch the cases.  The oil pan hangs out down below so I thought a splash of matching color might be a good look and addition (since it's a pretty each change).

Gary, everyone's tastes are different of course.  Quite frankly I personally much prefer the contrast of the red jugs and heads on top of the silver bottom end as opposed to it all being red.  For me the all red is just too much.  I admire the hell out of the couple of guys that have done more.  It's a lot of work, money and dedication to do as much as PJ or others have.  On mine though the contrast is the look I like best.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 08:29:07 PM »

That's kewl I understand that. :2vrolijk_21: I just thought I noticed a theme going I had to ask.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 08:30:14 PM »

So, you got new heads and jugs or are you somehow re-working what you already had red powdercoated?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 08:40:41 PM »

So, you got new heads and jugs or are you somehow re-working what you already had red powdercoated?

Brian, had to start over with the heads.  After Zippers cut up the stock set no one would have had a known starting point to work from.  Even if someone had said they could/would weld them up and start again I'd not have trusted it.  No one was at all inclined to touch them.  I actually used the idea as a test idea to eliminate potential sites for having work done.  If they'd said "yeah, sure, we can do that" I'd have known it was a shop to run away from like a little girl.

The heads were actually a several step acquisition.  A good friend had a set of late model 96" take offs.  In a grand gesture of generosity he just gave them to me to get the process started.  Initially they were going to be the heads to go on the bike.  They would have been a perfectly satisfactory place to start too.

Then a few weeks ago was on the phone with someone talking bikes and cars and girls and he mentioned an engine project he'd started and "gotten too deep in."  He needed to rein it in a little cost wise.  He had a brand new set of the HTCC ported heads.  I traded him the good 96" take offs and $400 for the HTCC ported.  So when it all comes back it'll have those heads on top with a little work done to better mate them to the cylinder and pistons being supplied by Axtell.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:01:42 PM »

Don, that sounds like a sweet combo of the heads and pistons.  If (Gary, that is "IF") I was going to do something to the SERG, I would look for a set of those heads.

Axtell is doing work on the cylinders, too?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:05:33 PM »

Don, that sounds like a sweet combo of the heads and pistons.  If (Gary, that is "IF") I was going to do something to the SERG, I would look for a set of those heads.

Axtell is doing work on the cylinders, too?

Yes, it's a set of their big beefy (impressive looking) cylinders going to 3 15/16".  Can do that without touching the bottom end and as a direct drop-on.  That slightly larger bore is why the heads need touched up though.  Having that work done is a much easier proposition to accept when it's parts not currently off a disassembled bike that are making the rounds.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 09:07:24 PM »

SWEET!  Well, looks like you'll be giving us some more entertainment this winter!  I look forward to following along! :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 09:21:27 PM »

SWEET!  Well, looks like you'll be giving us some more entertainment this winter!  I look forward to following along! :2vrolijk_21:

As it was one cylinder never seated well and smoked.  The other had ridiculous blow by.  Used a quart of oil in 800-1000.  Not egregious.  The whole thing was annoying though. 

The new heads were required, and they'd not be right for the old pistons.  So fixing the heads meant new pistons anyway.  At that point it's not that much farther to get jugs too and just not have the down time.  Also no worry this way about color differences between different rounds of powder coating. 

The price difference between Axtell's 3.875 cylinder set and their 3.9375 cylinder set was very small.  So.....   why not :nixweiss: .

Had the oil pan in hand this evening.  So was suddenly all jazzed up about it again and had to chatter.  Now it'll rest again until all the parts complete their rounds.  Several weeks back worked over a set of head bolt bridges to accept the compression releases that are in the HTCC heads.  They got powder coated too and will go on to diamond cutting.  But it's all back to wait-mode now.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 10:00:41 PM »

Don

The good thing about you doing this work is I can just sit back and watch and just polish on mine.
I have a SERT coming to fine tune it but that's it. It's more entertaining to watch your build than to mess with mine.

Damn, I think that means I'm getting old, or maybe lazy!

;)

S
  /
    B

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 10:41:58 PM »

Don

The good thing about you doing this work is I can just sit back and watch and just polish on mine.
I have a SERT coming to fine tune it but that's it. It's more entertaining to watch your build than to mess with mine.

Damn, I think that means I'm getting old, or maybe lazy!

;)

S
  /
    B

That's ok Chip.  I was at a point where wasn't doing much with mine when you had to be chasing the throttle body and other tuning issues and doing some more work to the Thunder Mountain bike when it was new.  Then I got to sit back with a cold one and think "man I'm glad I'm not fighting a project right now."

By the time this one gets done you may be in the middle of whatever you're going to do to the Road Glide.  So while you get to relax a bit now then I'll get to enjoy yours or someone else's efforts.

Truth be told I don't mind doing this again.  Primarily because it's not as if there's a lot of choice in the matter.  I love the bike and have no plans to get rid of it.  So if I'm keeping it I need to make it right.  No more drama than that in the decision. 

It would've been nice if Zippers hadn't been a boondoogle expense to a company that had their head in a wrong and dark place for this job.  But it is what it is.  And in a few months it'll better.  Then it'll be spring.  The bike will be great again.  And I'll only be focusing on the white lines before me :2vrolijk_21: .

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 10:42:09 PM »

As it was one cylinder never seated well and smoked.  The other had ridiculous blow by.  Used a quart of oil in 800-1000.  Not egregious.  The whole thing was annoying though. 

The new heads were required, and they'd not be right for the old pistons.  So fixing the heads meant new pistons anyway.  At that point it's not that much farther to get jugs too and just not have the down time.  Also no worry this way about color differences between different rounds of powder coating. 

The price difference between Axtell's 3.875 cylinder set and their 3.9375 cylinder set was very small.  So.....   why not :nixweiss: .

Had the oil pan in hand this evening.  So was suddenly all jazzed up about it again and had to chatter.  Now it'll rest again until all the parts complete their rounds.  Several weeks back worked over a set of head bolt bridges to accept the compression releases that are in the HTCC heads.  They got powder coated too and will go on to diamond cutting.  But it's all back to wait-mode now.

That's in the long-range plan for the SEEG . . . . someday. :-\

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 10:46:23 PM »

That's in the long-range plan for the SEEG . . . . someday. :-\

Brian, one thing to keep in your mind if you consider diamond cutting. 

First off is that it seems to never look bad.  In the right light especially it's always an outstanding look.

Since falling in lust with the idea myself I've looked at a LOT of them.  The one thing that is universal is that the impact of the diamond cutting is greater when it's done against a darker background.  The place where it stands out least, and where you have to look for it to find it most, is against plain silver backgrounds.

If you're considering some color work at the same time you might be even happier with the result.  It's never bad.  Diamond cutting looks great, no matter what.  But it really pops best against a complementary background darker than the Harley silver.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.