Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: ZUMO Power Point Problem  (Read 5984 times)

REGGAB

Re: ZUMO Power Point Problem
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 08:10:51 AM »

Henry,

Whenever you were loading the bike, I saw the lighter on the trailer floor and pushed it in the socket. It didn't feel right then. It was as if the part of the lighter mounted in the fairing was loose, and too far inward. Whenever I pushed the lighter in, it went in too far, and thge rubber cup around it folded outward. I remember I couldn't even hardly grab the end of the lighter as it was too far inside. It's  very possible it was engaged into the socket. I remember saying..Henry--that's not right, you better check it out. You were busy strapping the bike down. Did you ever dis-enegage it?

Yep, as soon as you told me, I dropped the left strap.....bike was on Jiffy Stand......and I pulled the lighter out.  At that time, I thought something had rattled loose over the weekend.  Wouldn't be the first time.  The bike wasn't powered.

Damn man, that sucks! Sort of scary it could have melted the whole fairing off! Looks to me like the lighter had to still be engaged. It shouldn't be hot unless the keyswitch is on though.

Yeah Ken.  It does suck, but I think I can get that lighter back in there, but I ain't gonna power it.

REGGAB

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 08:49:20 PM »

This evening I went to work on correcting this problem.  To summarize, I plan to reinstall the lighter but leave it unpowered.  At least it will look like it belongs there.  I'm at a loss when it comes to figuring out something else to fill the hole, and I do not trust that thing with power applied to it.  I've also completed the rewiring.  Pictures will follow.

As for the lighter hole, I roughed up the mounting area to ensure a secure epoxy bond, cleaned it and masked off the finished side.  Then I mixed epoxy with ground fiberglass and layed down the first layer.  I'll let it cure 24 hours, rough it up tomorrow and apply one more layer, which should be enough to begin shaping 48 hours from now.  Here's what it looks like at this moment.

REGGAB

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 09:07:42 PM »

Once the epoxy firmed up, I went to work on the wiring.  Earlier today, I chased the power wire (Orange/White) on 06 FLHTCUSE schematics.  Since I'm removing the lighter from the circuit, this was probably overkill, but I need the peace of mind.............there's enough turmoil up there as it is.   ;D  Anyway, it is the Accessory circuit (15A) and powers the lighter, heated grips, garage door opener, rear lighting, and rear stoplight switch, with accessory power connections to the speedometer, and tachometer.  I cut the lighter's incoming power wire and garage door power feed wire from their stock, shared, female, spade connector, spliced them together with the power wire for the ZUMO and covered with a dual layer of heat shrink using a heat gun.  Then I cut the stock, female, spade connector off the lighter's ground wire and spliced with the ZUMO ground wire and covered with a dual layer of heat shrink.  When I finished that work, it looked like this.

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 09:09:08 PM »

Then I tied down the work using waxed lacing tape and a clove hitch, like this.

REGGAB

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 09:17:04 PM »

Wasn't difficult at all, but I gotta tell you..............I'm much more comfortable working on expensive equipment that belongs to someone else.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, the operational check worked as advertised with all systems powered, and the engine running.  Hand grips work great too.  I let it run for about 15 minutes with no evidence of failure.

I'll carry on with the lighter mount tomorrow evening........................but it sure would be nice to get some input from some experts.  I'd like to ride Thumper this coming weekend without burning her down.  Thanks.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 09:39:04 PM »

Henry, I've had my lighter housing come apart.  Inner housing from the outer.  But not anything like the issue you had here.

I've always powered the GPS unit in the lighter plug.  Same circuit.  Just in the plug, not wired directly.

Until recently, however, I did have attached to that same power connection on the back of the lighter a pigtail through which I also connected the switched power to the HW amplifier and the power to the saddlebag locks.  No signs of it ever getting even remotely warm.  Had also scrupulously checked load at that gang connection with everything (including GPS) hot.  Never even close to a problem.

As others have said I believe you had to have had a problem sometime with the lighter element or housing.  Nothing else explains what you're seeing.  No short would've done that without charring insulation, nonetheless popping a fuse.  The lighter just had to be engaged for a long time sometime.

There are some marine units that are better grade units than what we're given to begin with there.  Also pretty sure I remember seeing some stainless thin washers/bezels that would slide over an element to allow them to clamp on oversized hole.  Might be worth checking in to a little.

REGGAB

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 10:01:17 PM »

Henry, I've had my lighter housing come apart.  Inner housing from the outer.  But not anything like the issue you had here.

I've always powered the GPS unit in the lighter plug.  Same circuit.  Just in the plug, not wired directly.

Until recently, however, I did have attached to that same power connection on the back of the lighter a pigtail through which I also connected the switched power to the HW amplifier and the power to the saddlebag locks.  No signs of it ever getting even remotely warm.  Had also scrupulously checked load at that gang connection with everything (including GPS) hot.  Never even close to a problem.

As others have said I believe you had to have had a problem sometime with the lighter element or housing.  Nothing else explains what you're seeing.  No short would've done that without charring insulation, nonetheless popping a fuse.  The lighter just had to be engaged for a long time sometime.

There are some marine units that are better grade units than what we're given to begin with there.  Also pretty sure I remember seeing some stainless thin washers/bezels that would slide over an element to allow them to clamp on oversized hole.  Might be worth checking in to a little.

First, Don, thanks for the input.  I really appreciate it.  It helps to have input on stuff like this rather than doing it in the blind.
At first I intended to use a sized washer on the finished side, and I may still do that, BUT 3/4ths of the lighter clamping surface on the back of the fairing has been melted away, which means there is no lip to clamp the lighter to.  That's why I'm building up the back with epoxy and fiberglass.  Still bugs me how that happened.  First, I can't figure out how that lighter got engaged, and second, I can't figure out how it stayed that way to get hot enough to melt the inner fairing.  Doesn't really matter now.........since apparently that was the culprit and the damage is done.  I'll fix it, but it is good thing I don't smoke.   ;D ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 12:39:12 AM »

I'll fix it, but it is good thing I don't smoke.   ;D ;D :2vrolijk_21:

If you're never going to use it for a heating element you might consider eliminating the potential of it ever happening again.  Have seen before some dummy centers to go in lighter plugs.  Filled the hole without having the heating element in it.  Alternatively, just gut yours.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 09:37:43 AM »

henry, after getting your email, i searched and found this thread. i always click on the new posts -----i dont know how i missed this. anyway as i said in the reply, i had an ultra here that kept popping a fuse, after pulling fairing to chase the problem, i found the wire that feeds the lighter had melted into a ground. the insulation was bubbled and the wire would touch and pop a fuse, other times, all seemed well. my question is-------------why would the fuse not pop before this much damage was done? fire potential for sure.

oh well, i guess this is listed as NORMAL too.

hogasm

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 02:08:29 PM »

Henry.  there is a 2 part plastic adhesive that we used on my tour pack when I hit the coyote.  Since you have made a backing behind the oversized hole, you can take the adhesive and use it as a filler on the finished side of the hole. Wait an hour for it to harden and then drill out the correct size hole. Then fair the filler with some fine and finer sand paper till you are happy with the appearance.  It's that easy!!

Buy the adhesive from NAPA. 

good luck :2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 11:55:15 PM »

Henry.  there is a 2 part plastic adhesive that we used on my tour pack when I hit the coyote.  Since you have made a backing behind the oversized hole, you can take the adhesive and use it as a filler on the finished side of the hole. Wait an hour for it to harden and then drill out the correct size hole. Then fair the filler with some fine and finer sand paper till you are happy with the appearance.  It's that easy!!

Buy the adhesive from NAPA. 

good luck :2vrolijk_21:

OK, I'll give that stuff a whirl.  Do you think I can apply it on top of the epoxy I've already laid down?  How will it hold up to vibration?   I've thought about using resin and fiberglass cloth to get the mount edge back, but that is too small of an area for a messy job like that...........and fiberglass cloth is a beotch to finish sand.  Stringy!!!!!!

REGGAB

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2007, 07:30:04 AM »

Done.  Finished yesterday.  Picture isn't necessary since the lighter looks just like it did before except it is not powered.  I removed the masking, drilled through the epoxy build up and sanded to shape with a Dremel.  Left the new grab surface tight.  Reinstalled lighter per SM.  Looks good as new. 

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2007, 07:48:11 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2007, 11:41:54 AM »

Done.  Finished yesterday.  Picture isn't necessary since the lighter looks just like it did before except it is not powered.  I removed the masking, drilled through the epoxy build up and sanded to shape with a Dremel.  Left the new grab surface tight.  Reinstalled lighter per SM.  Looks good as new. 

Henry, if you find yourself in need of a power point at some time for chargers or other uses look at a company called Powerlet (www.powerletproducts.com).  Lots of mount and bracketry options.  I hung this one under my left leg and use it as the site for battery tender input and output to heated clothes and just about anything else you need juice for.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 12:26:38 PM »

Henry, if you find yourself in need of a power point at some time for chargers or other uses look at a company called Powerlet (www.powerletproducts.com).  Lots of mount and bracketry options.  I hung this one under my left leg and use it as the site for battery tender input and output to heated clothes and just about anything else you need juice for.

Don you're killing me here! Where do you keep coming up with this stuff. Handlebar cigartette lighters! Hmmm...! Still NO FAIRING REQUIRED! ::)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 20 queries.