Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Broken speaker brackets  (Read 20838 times)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Broken speaker breackets
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »

It seems they break a lot on some bikes.  I know they aren't of a good grade of metal as they bent easily with channel locks when installing my Hawg wired speakers.  If they keep breaking, it doesn't look like it would take much to make a better bracket. 

As stated, Don's and Duane's inner fairings are at the max point.   :)   No wonder Don needed the AK20's.. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 04:56:05 PM »

I'm wondering how much your front end weighs now, Don?  I've carried so much weight in my left saddlebag that I broke the rear saddlebag bracket.  That suckers expensive due to being exposed & chromed.  :coolblue: har!  spyder

Even though it looks gawdawful there's actually very little difference for borne weight on the suspension.  The Harmon Kardon radio is a near even swap for the Radio Sound.  The XM module is added but is ounces, not pounds.  Same with the extra bracket to fill space next to it.  The amplifier was about pound.  The speakers were heavier on each side than the stockers also.

The HID ballasts and speaker components also added to the total.  The harnesses gained were the large audio harness for the Harmon Kardon radio and the harness and relay pack for the power saddlebags.  All tolled the weight added to the nose was just under five pounds.  That included the difference in the calipers too.

Though I never had the opportunity to weigh any of it out I'd bet a little bit was actually gained back in the bike's favor with the Traxxion Dynamics cartridge kit.  The parts they add are much more svelte than the big ol' heavy springs that come out.

Put everything together in there and the difference is really negligible.  The Traxxion front end more than carries the load.  Its adjustability makes a little modification easier to account for also.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 04:57:33 PM »

I’ve had to replace mine a couple of times on each side…. They should have included extras in the tool kit!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 05:45:47 PM »

Even though it looks gawdawful there's actually very little difference for borne weight on the suspension.  The Harmon Kardon radio is a near even swap for the Radio Sound.  The XM module is added but is ounces, not pounds.  Same with the extra bracket to fill space next to it.  The amplifier was about pound.  The speakers were heavier on each side than the stockers also.

The HID ballasts and speaker components also added to the total.  The harnesses gained were the large audio harness for the Harmon Kardon radio and the harness and relay pack for the power saddlebags.  All tolled the weight added to the nose was just under five pounds.  That included the difference in the calipers too.

Though I never had the opportunity to weigh any of it out I'd bet a little bit was actually gained back in the bike's favor with the Traxxion Dynamics cartridge kit.  The parts they add are much more svelte than the big ol' heavy springs that come out.

Put everything together in there and the difference is really negligible.  The Traxxion front end more than carries the load.  Its adjustability makes a little modification easier to account for also.
Next time we have a 'GTG', maybe we can find some truck scales or somewhere to weight these monsters.  I'd like to know after adding this and that just what I'm up to now.......esp. compared to others.  Of course, I know the 'power junkees' probably have drilled holes everywhere we can't see to lighten up their Race CVO's.  :huepfenlol2: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 05:52:58 PM »

Next time we have a 'GTG', maybe we can find some truck scales or somewhere to weight these monsters.  I'd like to know after adding this and that just what I'm up to now.......esp. compared to others.  Of course, I know the 'power junkees' probably have drilled holes everywhere we can't see to lighten up their Race CVO's.  :huepfenlol2: har!  spyder

Not sure how much we'd learn Spyder.  A few years ago I got involved doing some research in an incident involving scales for semis.  At least then, while they could potentially be very accurate, they weren't necessarily so in ranges lower then they commonly calibrated for.

Something as small as a bike might easily be expected to show up with some several pounds difference.  Since some of what we add on is accompanied by a less blingy piece coming off to make room for it I think we'd be surprised how little weight we're acutally adding.

In my case I'm pretty sure what is the single largest addition.  It's not the trailer hitch.  It's not even the King tour pak (at least when compared as its weight versus the chopped pak it replaced).  It's probably the seat.  That Corbin seat weighs so much more than the stock seat did I'd really be surprised if it isn't the single largest gain.

custardglide

• Full CVO Member
  • AN AMERICAN IN AN ENGLISHMANS BODY

• CVO1: FLHTKSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 sold
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 04:24:15 PM »

Am I missing something here, took mine OFF  :oops:@ 10,000mls when I got my HAWG WIRED speakers from Jim. Brackets were fine then, and now we're up to 15,500mls and had NO probs whatsoever, DO you all think I should modify and replace them. :confused5: Its not as if the roads are smooth here in the UK, they are like cart tracks compared to the roads you have in the states :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:
IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT BEFORE YOU CAN HEAR IT WOTS THE POINT

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »

Am I missing something here, took mine OFF  :oops:@ 10,000mls when I got my HAWG WIRED speakers from Jim. Brackets were fine then, and now we're up to 15,500mls and had NO probs whatsoever, DO you all think I should modify and replace them. :confused5: Its not as if the roads are smooth here in the UK, they are like cart tracks compared to the roads you have in the states :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:

When you look at the brackets, I'm not so convinced that they are there for anything more than to clip the electrical connectors to. The end that attaches to the speaker is so weak in design no one could think that would give any support for the speaker. I think the speaker supports the bracket instead of the other way around.  :)

:indian_chief:

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 06:12:50 PM »

I can tell when mine snap beacuse the fairing starts to vibrate and shake on that side... it is very noticable when it happens.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 06:15:03 PM »

I can tell when mine snap because the fairing starts to vibrate and shake on that side... it is very noticeable when it happens.

I noticed that too when the brackets first broke. Now I watch for it.
If it is shaking it can't be good, has to be stressing some other item, maybe even the fairing itself.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 06:26:59 PM »

I noticed that too when the brackets first broke. Now I watch for it.
If it is shaking it can't be good, has to be stressing some other item, maybe even the fairing itself.
What...me worry?  ::) I just got my 'spare' fairing.    :) :) :)  (you were talking of the 'front' outer fairing, right?)   har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2008, 06:30:23 PM »

What...me worry?  ::) I just got my 'spare' fairing.    :) :) :)  (you were talking of the 'front' outer fairing, right?)   har!  :drink: spyder

Well you know spyder, the front fairing is fairly easy to pop on an off, got a spare one myself for the long hauls over crappy roads.

Nah, me thinks if there is a choice between inner or outer fairing failing, in relation to the speaker brackets and or load, it will, without a doubt be the inner  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

custardglide

• Full CVO Member
  • AN AMERICAN IN AN ENGLISHMANS BODY

• CVO1: FLHTKSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 sold
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 01:46:25 PM »

I can tell when mine snap beacuse the fairing starts to vibrate and shake on that side... it is very noticable when it happens.
But even with no brackets on, my fairing is solid with NO vibration at all ??? Whats that all about then :confused5: :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:
IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT BEFORE YOU CAN HEAR IT WOTS THE POINT

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »

But even with no brackets on, my fairing is solid with NO vibration at all ??? Whats that all about then :confused5: :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:

The MOCO most send extra strength fairings to you Brit's.  Must have something to do with the boat ride over.   :)

Seriously, you have to wonder why different bikes/owners of the same model behave differently.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: Broken speaker brackets
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 03:12:31 PM »

The MOCO most send extra strength fairings to you Brit's.  Must have something to do with the boat ride over.   :)

Seriously, you have to wonder why different bikes/owners of the same model behave differently.

We have two almost identical bikes, same zip code, same riding conditions and elements ----- completely different bikes.  Amazing to us too.   ::)

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Broken speaker brackets
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 03:42:38 AM »

Pulled my fairing apart yesterday because it was shaking again... turns out the big black fairing bracket broke, and the speaker bracket on the same side did again as well.

Stealer wanted $70 for the big bracket, $12 for the small silver one.

I have had to replace these small ones twice now.. I took them to a welder this time instead!

Welder had a hard time with the big one, but said that the small one went back together great.

I won't be buying anymore of those ones... and everything internal will be getting welded from now on.

Cost went from $100 to $20, and it may last longer now!!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 03:44:22 AM by murphy »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 24 queries.