Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Gas tank support - off the bike.  (Read 1707 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Gas tank support - off the bike.
« on: December 04, 2007, 03:16:05 PM »

I took my tank off recently for a thorough cleaning, and to change some wires. I now have the quick release crossover line, so it is a simple affair to get the tank off for detailing.

But - to protect the tank  :nixweiss:

I had some HDPE plastic laying around, actually it is King Plastics "Starboard" a marine grade UV protected plastic.

I made up this support to hold the tank while not on the bike. Sorry I didn't get a better picture.

I have also since made some changes, next time the tank is off I'll shoot a coupe of pics.
There is a bolt that drops down through the rear tank mount to keep it from sliding, and there are a couple of positions, one centered, and this one, which allows waxing the front part of the tunnel.
I have also since made a stand to support it while it sits on the ground for washing.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
Re: Gas tank support - off the bike.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 03:21:36 PM »

Very nice looking Porthole, but,

a)  you have too much time on your hands....   get a hobby.

b)  you have too much storage space available for seldom used items.....   share some of it with me.

c)  you have too much HDPE laying around....   you should send me some. (enough for a short router table fence)

d)  Can you adopt me?  (well, actually, my two daughters, thats what I need the storage space for anyway...)   :P
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 05:37:10 AM »

I took my tank off recently for a thorough cleaning, and to change some wires. I now have the quick release crossover line, so it is a simple affair to get the tank off for detailing.

But - to protect the tank  :nixweiss:

I had some HDPE plastic laying around, actually it is King Plastics "Starboard" a marine grade UV protected plastic.

I made up this support to hold the tank while not on the bike. Sorry I didn't get a better picture.

I have also since made some changes, next time the tank is off I'll shoot a coupe of pics.
There is a bolt that drops down through the rear tank mount to keep it from sliding, and there are a couple of positions, one centered, and this one, which allows waxing the front part of the tunnel.
I have also since made a stand to support it while it sits on the ground for washing.

Duane what wires did you replace and I suspect you used marine grade wiring.  :nixweiss:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:21:15 AM »

Dave

I added speaker wires for the tourpak and had to do some relocating. AT the time I used plain speaker wire, but it is not flexible at all, so I will be redoing with "Anchor" brand marine grade wire. This is a good product to use, high quality, UV protected wire. the actual wire is made of many small stands (hence the flexibility) and is "tinned" for corrosion protection.

I just received my order of wire to now replace several things on the bike, including making up a jumper harness for the tourpak.

With the Corbin seat on the bike I can't connect the tourpak harness like I use to, lifting up on the seat. The seat pan on the Corbin is too stiff.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 11:34:44 AM »

a)  you have too much time on your hands....   get a hobby.

My wife says I have too many now  :nixweiss:

b)  you have too much storage space available for seldom used items.....   share some of it with me.

Not really, I am running out of room in the garage.

c)  you have too much HDPE laying around....   you should send me some. (enough for a short router table fence)

It is kind of heavy you know, but I might be able to be convinced, we'll see what is left after I make the dogs a new feeding stand.
I save even the small scraps of that stuff, it is so expensive.
The stuff I am using now is what is left from a 3/4" x 54" x 96" sheet that I bought when I was running scuba charters and needed "stuff" for the boat.
What a hassle handling that was, has to weigh well over 100 pounds and the edges are razor sharp.

This stuff isn't the same that you get at the woodworking shows, it is not smooth, rather it has a very small pebble grain. But it is slick, and would probably work good for a fence.

d)  Can you adopt me?  (well, actually, my two daughters, that's what I need the storage space for anyway...)   :P

Join the crowd - My daughter got engaged, moved out and left all her stuff! And she moved to England, so it is not like I can go drop it off on her doorstep  :nixweiss:

But, she is coming home for Christmas and I will tell her about my plans - Her and child #2 with the basement storage are being put on notice: I am on year 1 of my 10 year plan - in 10 the basement will be empty of all junk (except mine) and we are leaving for warmer climates.

MV 2013

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 07:16:50 PM »

This stuff isn't the same that you get at the woodworking shows, it is not smooth, rather it has a very small pebble grain. But it is slick, and would probably work good for a fence.

And THAT's why I like it so much.  I get it through McMaster-Carr when I need it, but I never pass up an opportunity to beg, since it comes so dear. 

The peppled finish leaves less friction, which makes it rally nice on the router fences when I'm really bearing down on it....    I must have 12 differenct special pupose fencces for doing special stuff on the table....   ;)  If you need me to stor ehte stuff for you, I can keep it busy!!!

Where in England did your daughter go?  We still have a house over in Hockwold...
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 10:15:12 PM »

McMaster-Carr

Practically in my backyard  :2vrolijk_21:

which makes it rally nice on the router fences .... different special purpose fences for doing special stuff on the table....   

Same here, inserts for different bits and such

Where in England did your daughter go?  We still have a house over in Hockwold...

Currently in South Croydon, Surrey, looks to be about 2 hours south of Hockwold. She is engaged to a bloke there, upstart rock star too.

MV 2013

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 10:30:26 PM »

:zthread:

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 05:04:41 PM »

My wife says I have too many now  :nixweiss:

Not really, I am running out of room in the garage.

It is kind of heavy you know, but I might be able to be convinced, we'll see what is left after I make the dogs a new feeding stand.
I save even the small scraps of that stuff, it is so expensive.
The stuff I am using now is what is left from a 3/4" x 54" x 96" sheet that I bought when I was running scuba charters and needed "stuff" for the boat.
What a hassle handling that was, has to weigh well over 100 pounds and the edges are razor sharp.

Join the crowd - My daughter got engaged, moved out and left all her stuff! And she moved to England, so it is not like I can go drop it off on her doorstep  :nixweiss:

But, she is coming home for Christmas and I will tell her about my plans - Her and child #2 with the basement storage are being put on notice: I am on year 1 of my 10 year plan - in 10 the basement will be empty of all junk (except mine) and we are leaving for warmer climates.

Duane dont get in no big hurry cause the grandkids will be right behind them.  ;D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 05:05:47 PM »

09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 09:47:04 AM »

Fuel Tank Supports   ;D

Someplace for the tank when I have it off the bike

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 09:48:01 AM »

Duane don't get in no big hurry cause the grandkids will be right behind them.  ;D

They'll all need someplace to go for a visit  :2vrolijk_21:

MV 2013

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 01:47:12 PM »

Fuel Tank Supports   ;D

???  I thought it was a woodworking thread or something - - router fences etc

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 11:05:22 PM »

You mean the tank isn't made of wood?  how did they get that bitchin' grain and figuring in the paint?
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 02:01:34 AM »

???  I thought it was a woodworking thread or something - - router fences etc

Threads are meant to be jacked  :nixweiss:

MV 2013

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 24 queries.