Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Author Topic: Battery Longevity??????  (Read 29009 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Battery Longevity??????
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2007, 09:06:13 AM »

My '01 Ultra battery lasted either 4.5 or 5.5 years.  I know I replaced it in the spring when I got my '06 so that would have been around April I'm just struggling with when I bought it.  I am pretty sure I bought it in June or July of '01 not at the intro in '00 so looks like it made it almost 5 years.

No tellin' how long it sat at the dealer before I picked it up.  Not really sure it had to have a new battery when I sold it either, it hadn't been on the tender for some time and it wouldn't kick it over, so when Pats4152 from the site picked it up I threw the new one in it so he didn't have any problems with it.  He's bought cars from me for 30 years, no point in having him need to buy a battery for his new bike soon after getting it (in the event it was bad).

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2007, 09:09:32 AM »

OK, Rog......you guys are making me feel better and better about keeping this old battery in the Huckleberry and if I can find me some light-weight jumper cables for my saddlebag, I'll keep on keepin' on with the OEM batt.  :2vrolijk_21: har!  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2007, 09:16:51 AM »

I believe the secret is the tender when not in use, especially as the battery ages.

Keeping a full charge on them is certainly the best way to get the most life out of 'em.  I must admit I wasn't (still not) religious about plugging in all the time.  I usually get home from a ride and figure I will be riding again soon so I don't plug it in and then it rains for weeks and at some point I want to ride or I move the bike and :oops:

I just plugged it in the other day and it wouldn't even light the radio screen, it only took two nights to charge up.  Still it ain't good to draw them down that low I know, but these damn '06 bikes have a hell of a drain from the junk on them.

Maybe the nanner isn't so bad :bananarock: :bananarock:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2007, 09:55:19 AM »

OK, Rog......you guys are making me feel better and better about keeping this old battery in the Huckleberry and if I can find me some light-weight jumper cables for my saddlebag, I'll keep on keepin' on with the OEM batt.  :2vrolijk_21: har!  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: spyder
spyder,

Try these links for 3 possibilities on the cables, all specifically for bikes (smaller clamps and a storage pouch):

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=BBOOST

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-11039/Yuasa/Jumper-Cables.html

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/60/12330/ITEM/Bikemaster-Jumper-Cables.aspx

One "heads-up" on jump starting a bike; if the donor vehicle is a car or truck rather than another bike, do not start the engine on the car or truck after connecting the cables.  The charging system on many cars/trucks can overpower the electrical system on a bike.  A car battery should have more than enough power to start the bike without the assistance of the alternator.  And don't bother trying to use the bike to jump start a dead car/truck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2007, 10:47:12 AM »

spyder,

Try these links for 3 possibilities on the cables, all specifically for bikes (smaller clamps and a storage pouch):

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=BBOOST

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-11039/Yuasa/Jumper-Cables.html

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/60/12330/ITEM/Bikemaster-Jumper-Cables.aspx

One "heads-up" on jump starting a bike; if the donor vehicle is a car or truck rather than another bike, do not start the engine on the car or truck after connecting the cables.  The charging system on many cars/trucks can overpower the electrical system on a bike.  A car battery should have more than enough power to start the bike without the assistance of the alternator.  And don't bother trying to use the bike to jump start a dead car/truck.

Jerry
thanks a lot Jerry.....some good info......(and even tho I knew some of it at one time....at my age, a 'reminder' is always good.)   :D har!    :drink:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

charlie

« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2007, 07:36:47 PM »

OK I never had to use a battery tender but my battery seems to be getting weak can some one tell me what I need and how to hook it up. Thank you in advance.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2007, 08:07:03 PM »

OK I never had to use a battery tender but my battery seems to be getting weak can some one tell me what I need and how to hook it up. Thank you in advance.

SuperSmart® Battery Tender®

Many of the same features as the Global Battery Charger, but smaller and more economical. It's better than a trickle charger, because of the "smart" feature that turns itself on and off as needed, so your battery never overcharges. Accepts North American voltage (120V), supplied with 2-prong unpolarized plug. Output is 12 VDC @ 750 mA. Charger output leads are equipped with quick disconnect black connectors. Compatible with the alligator clip charging harness (included) and the optional 7.5 Amp Battery Charging Harness with ring terminals (not included).

Harley Part number  94654-98A

For 12-volt batteries.

MSRP US $39.95

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2007, 08:14:12 PM »

SuperSmart® Battery Tender®

Many of the same features as the Global Battery Charger, but smaller and more economical. It's better than a trickle charger, because of the "smart" feature that turns itself on and off as needed, so your battery never overcharges. Accepts North American voltage (120V), supplied with 2-prong unpolarized plug. Output is 12 VDC @ 750 mA. Charger output leads are equipped with quick disconnect black connectors. Compatible with the alligator clip charging harness (included) and the optional 7.5 Amp Battery Charging Harness with ring terminals (not included).

Harley Part number  94654-98A

For 12-volt batteries.

MSRP US $39.95

wonder just how 'safe' it is to leave these things just plugged in all the time?  Reckon they've been known to 'shortout' and burn the barn down?   I'm a 'worry-wart' as you can tell.  :nervous: har!  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2007, 08:21:48 PM »

wonder just how 'safe' it is to leave these things just plugged in all the time?  Reckon they've been known to 'shortout' and burn the barn down?   I'm a 'worry-wart' as you can tell.  :nervous: har!  spyder
Mine stays plugged in all the time when the bike is parked.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2007, 08:35:28 PM »

Mine stays plugged in all the time when the bike is parked.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Gary, do you have a small one like the picture above?  Looks like it would be flush against the wall receptacle.  Does it ever get pretty warm to the touch?    :-\ spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2007, 08:40:40 PM »

Gary, do you have a small one like the picture above?  Looks like it would be flush against the wall receptacle.  Does it ever get pretty warm to the touch?    :-\ spyder
Mine is the old style like the "Battery Tender Plus" sold by Battery Tender, but it has H-D name on it...

It sits on the floor beside the bike, and I've never felt it get warm.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2007, 08:40:47 PM »

Spyder, I've got one of those, too.  It only gets the very slightest bit warm.  Wouldn't even really call it "warm," actually.  It has some protection circuits built into it, too.  When you unhook it from the battery, it turns itself off.  It also has polarity protection in case you hook it up backwards, so it won't even do any funky stuff then in case you screw up.

Nothing to worry about, I don't think.  They are purpose built to be plugged in 24/7. :2vrolijk_21:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2007, 08:41:37 PM »

Mine is the old style like the "Battery Tender Plus" sold by Battery Tender, but it has H-D name on it...

It sits on the floor beside the bike, and I've never felt it get warm.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I've got one of them, too.  I wish they still offered the one with the H-D graphics. >:(

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2007, 08:47:04 PM »

yeah, Guys, that's the same one I've been using (non-HD marked variety).  I may buy a 2nd one and like that little one pictured above, but would want it to be every bit as 'safe' as the one we're using.  ;)  har!  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2007, 08:48:21 PM »

I've got one of them, too.  I wish they still offered the one with the H-D graphics. >:(
My guess that H-D and Battery Tender had a falling out and Battery Tender won. My guess is that Battery Tender is making the one that H-D is selling now w/their logo on it. :nixweiss:

Look familiar....

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.