Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Strange weather!  (Read 7080 times)

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
Re: Strange weather!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 04:27:17 PM »

I can beat that Ernie!

I came home early to ride.

It's 82 here.

Lets see, what to ride? ? ? ? ? Can't ride that one over there with the good sounding Rineharts, no tag! (hehe)

I rode the SERG yesterday!

The Classic will be fine, yup and maybe later we will blast around the neighborhood on the scooters.

82 degrees, now that's amazing!

:2vrolijk_21:

82  :o  Try the boat.  ;D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 04:40:48 PM »

My Aunt and Uncle live out in Edmund, OK and she sent me pictures. That's pretty bad. It's 70s and balmy here.

:

Yep, the roads have improved today, but will probably re-freeze this evening.  Okla. Gas & Elect. just reported that the number of households without electric is fast approaching 500,000 and that some folks may be without electric for up to 10 days.
I HATE winter!  It's a good thing I don't live where it gets really cold and/or where they have a lot of ice & snow >> I would really whine then! ;D

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 04:45:58 PM »

The only white stuff coming out of the sky in SoCal are white pelicans from up north. We are in the migration path to South America and they clean the lake up by eating all the chad which (they say) cause algae blooms.   Doc

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 06:06:45 PM »

82  :o  Try the boat.  ;D

Dang Dave!

Just got in.

Didn't think of that. ???

But I'm sure the water is cold. :o

If I could find some. :(

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 06:52:19 PM »

send your global warming up here

Happy you have the nice weather Chip-rain and chilly for the next 7 days here.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 09:57:32 PM »

Not as cold here as some parts of the country.  But it's a mess.  The ice storm weirdness is a hassle. 

Fortunately it's been just warm enough that roads have mostly stayed unfrozen but anything is unpaved is covered in ice.  Trees here are devestated.  Without exaggeration there are stretches to see that make you think artillery.  It really is that bad.

Power down in most of the area.  I'm on backup so it's ok here.  But the cleanup at the parent's and elsewhere is going to be a bitch.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 10:16:11 PM »

Not as cold here as some parts of the country.  But it's a mess.  The ice storm weirdness is a hassle. 

Fortunately it's been just warm enough that roads have mostly stayed unfrozen but anything is unpaved is covered in ice.  Trees here are devestated.  Without exaggeration there are stretches to see that make you think artillery.  It really is that bad.

Power down in most of the area.  I'm on backup so it's ok here.  But the cleanup at the parent's and elsewhere is going to be a bitch.

One of the worst things about a bad ice storm is the damage it does to the beautiful trees in the area...takes them a long time to recover.  Hope the cleanup is not too bad on you, Don.  Also hope your family gets the power back on as quickly as is possible.  You're a tough old bastard, so I know you can take a little inconvenience... :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 10:30:13 PM »

One of the worst things about a bad ice storm is the damage it does to the beautiful trees in the area...takes them a long time to recover.  Hope the cleanup is not too bad on you, Don.  Also hope your family gets the power back on as quickly as is possible.  You're a tough old bastard, so I know you can take a little inconvenience... :2vrolijk_21:

It's no problem for me personally.  Beer is cold.  Hot tub is warm.  Damn DirecTV dish is iced over and even I'm not stupid enough to go up on the roof after it.  But the household works.

Mom has power.  Even if she doesn't I've got a dual set of sump pumps in the basement and one is DC.  It's good for eight hours of solid pumping.  Gas fireplace in the house so warmth isn't an issue either.  She's got some trees broken up but it's all scattered around the yard.

Biggest mess so far is at my niece's house.  Spent some time with her Daddy yesterday cutting trees clearing rode and driveway so they could get in and out.  But several feet depth more came down last night and this morning.  Big stuff, little stuff; all tangled up.  Big tree in the bike has come down in chunks and is all over the house and deck.  But appears to be no damage.  Ice will have to go away more before I get up in in to clear it out and clear it off.  Probably a weekend chore.

Driving around down at dusk was eerie though.  Go through blocks long stretches that are just devestated.  Across roads.  Across buildings.  Big stuff and little stuff.  At dusk and in the early dark with only vehicle lights coming through it scared the hell out of Parker.  Was seeing lots of things that weren't there.  The occasionally lightning still flashing in the clouds or transformers blowing up didn't help any.  Throw in that sudden crack of trees still giving out and it's a pretty cool scene actually.  Not good of course.  Nothing at all good about it.  Lots of damage and expense for many.  But it's neat to look at nonetheless.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 10:32:51 PM »

22 and windy as chit here...  2-6 inches overnight expected..here we go again!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 10:41:46 PM »

Yep, Don...it's other-worldly looking when it's dark and chit like that is going on.  In '93 we had about 20" of snow here, with lightning, etc, power lines and transforers blowing/hitting the ground.  Very strange.  Hope there's no damage to the niece's abode...at least none that is structural or will require anything other than a chain saw and a lot of dragging of limbs, etc.  Glad you guys still have power and means to stay warm.  Tuck in 'till it breaks, then the work will begin for those without...

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 10:45:52 PM »

22 and windy as chit here...  2-6 inches overnight expected..here we go again!

Scot, we're warmer but I'd trade the snow for this sticking ice.  We had a larger ice storm last year.  It did significant damage also.  Would've thought we'd be pre-pruned as a result of last year.  This time there's a lot more tree and other damage though.  Weird stuff.  Can never second guess mother nature; that bitch.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 10:47:11 PM »

That would be considered "Global Cooling" or the coming of the next ice age using the same analysis technique.

:indian_chief:

Ya got to be ready for anything these days. The trees up, outdoor lights up and now...the tequila.  :2vrolijk_21:  Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 10:48:32 PM »

Yep, Don...it's other-worldly looking when it's dark and chit like that is going on.  In '93 we had about 20" of snow here, with lightning,

That's actually pretty cool.  Not everyplace gets that.  But I dig Thundersnows.  Get them just right and you'll get a good bit of advection fog coming back off the stuff that's already on the ground, more snow falling, mix in a little wind and then throw in the lightning to illuminate it all.  It's straight out of Edgar Allen Poe or Hitchcock.  Sane people go indoors and huddle up and I'm out driving around getting a real kick of stuff like that.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 10:57:44 PM »

That's actually pretty cool.  Not everyplace gets that.  But I dig Thundersnows.  Get them just right and you'll get a good bit of advection fog coming back off the stuff that's already on the ground, more snow falling, mix in a little wind and then throw in the lightning to illuminate it all.  It's straight out of Edgar Allen Poe or Hitchcock.  Sane people go indoors and huddle up and I'm out driving around getting a real kick of stuff like that.

Yea, I was up 'till 3 in the morning the night it did all that here...snowing like crazy, lines came down in front of my house, sparks flying, chit booming, blue lightning.

But I'd been there before, only it was chemically induced... :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 11:00:07 PM »

But I'd been there before, only it was chemically induced... :2vrolijk_21:

Such expanded awareness must've been cool.  I, of course, never did chit like that...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 20 queries.