Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brake light circuit help on 07 SG  (Read 798 times)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Brake light circuit help on 07 SG
« on: December 25, 2007, 12:30:48 AM »

Well, I was putting on the gf's new grips, switch housings, master cylinder kit, etc and managed to not push the LEFT X2 grip up far enough and shorted out the wires by crimping against handlebar since they were not in the handlebar dimple.  Wires now fixed, grip and housing in correct spot, & fuses replaced.  Now when front or rear brake is depressed both the brake light and the RIGHT turn come on (no blink) and the RIGHT DASH turn indicator stays on (no blink). Also, when the RIGHT indicator is on, the brake light blinks.
I now have the switch housings apart (again) and the harness sheath stripped up 4 " and there are no shorts.  What am I missing here? Would a broken break light switch cause this since it is powered with the right indicator O/W wire? I have instaled these many a time and never had a problem.  Any and all suggestions and comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Roger

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Brake light circuit help on 07 SG
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 11:28:13 AM »

It seems like you have a short between the brake light wire and the right turn signal;. This is most likely in the housing itself. The metal brackets that hold the switches in place can sometime pinch the wires. I would specifically look at the right lower housing and bracket as that one is the most difficult to get into place properly with the added "arm" on the bracket that holds the front brake light switch in place.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 12:24:43 AM »

Thanks Jim but all the housings are off and all the switches and wires are isolated. I've shaked, jiggled, pulled all the wires individually and no changes. The brake relay is good (checked with mine) The harness sheathing has been revealed both sides up 4" and no problems.  Security system operates normally except brake light illuminates upon activation or deactivation. The weird thing is, when ignition switch is on and brake switch is activated, the red key symbol in Speedo illuminates (along with the right turn signal indicator in dash and right blinkers, constant on). When brake switch is deactivated, all are off. The bike starts and runs fine. The brake relay does click upon activation (normal?) and it seemed the ignition relay did also for a while. Again, it was the left side light and horn wires that were shorted and fuses blown. My initial thought too was that the brake switch wire and the turn switch wires were shorted around housing area. I have pretty much ruled that out. Could I have damaged something down line from the shorted wires like the cruse control circuit (No cruse on this bike)or the security module circuit since the brake and/or turn wires seem to route through everything?  Probably rambling here but this seems simple and yet I cannot come up with a solution!

On a separate note, my hog wired system arrived yesterday! Thanks for the fast shipping and great service! I am beginning to question my mechanical abilities even more than usual after this electrical quandary....Will pm you this message also. Thanks, Roger

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 08:13:49 PM »

Come on now, no other takers here? There might be some $$$$ involved for the first correct answer! Seriously, Jim is on vacation and I am figuring it has to be a short in something internally. I am 100% sure no wires are shorted together at or near the switch housings. Thanks, Roger

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 08:16:55 PM »

Come on now, no other takers here? There might be some $$$$ involved for the first correct answer! Seriously, Jim is on vacation and I am figuring it has to be a short in something internally. I am 100% sure no wires are shorted together at or near the switch housings. Thanks, Roger

I can give you something generic to look at.  I had a similar problem many years ago that turned out to be a bad connection on a ground wire in the brake/turn signal wiring.  It had nothing to do with the switch housing area, but the symptoms were pretty much the same...

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 10:50:57 AM »

Thanks Scott, after many hours of persuing the cause and effect approach ( me pinching the wires=brake & signal lights malfuntioning) I finally started thinking out of the box and working backwards from the tail lights forward and yeeha, her rear tire had worn through the wire harness under the fender and shorted the brake/signal wires! I felt pretty stupid for not taking another direction sooner but I sure learned alot along the way! I have rewired the harness into a new rubber sheath and all should be working later today. Tracking the ground  would have been a good approach too, just found that to be the cause on a friends heated grips malfuntioning.  Roger

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 01:19:14 PM »

Thanks Scott, after many hours of persuing the cause and effect approach ( me pinching the wires=brake & signal lights malfuntioning) I finally started thinking out of the box and working backwards from the tail lights forward and yeeha, her rear tire had worn through the wire harness under the fender and shorted the brake/signal wires! I felt pretty stupid for not taking another direction sooner but I sure learned alot along the way! I have rewired the harness into a new rubber sheath and all should be working later today. Tracking the ground  would have been a good approach too, just found that to be the cause on a friends heated grips malfuntioning.  Roger

Congratulations!  Everyone of these turns out to be a learning experience.  Plus the satisfaction of solving the problem!

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 24 queries.