Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Berkeley City Council to Revisit Vote Against Marine Recruiting Station  (Read 3519 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited

Are these people nuts?  Don't want to diss our left coasters, but what are they smokin in Berkeley?

:oops:
Tuesday , February 12, 2008

BERKELEY, Calif. —

Two weeks after the Berkeley City Council called U.S. Marine Corps recruiters "uninvited and unwelcome intruders," the council is expected to reconsider its anti-Marine stance Tuesday night.

Large crowds from the left and right are mobilizing for the meeting. The anti-war feminist group Code Pink began a 24-hour "peace-in" Monday night, and the pro-war group Move America Forward planned a day-long demonstration outside City Hall.

The Rev. Fred Phelps, the anti-gay activist and founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, will be there as well, demonstrating against both the Marines and Code Pink. Members of the Westboro Baptist Church routinely picket at the funerals of American soldiers killed in action.

Code Pink activist Zanne Joi said her group is "supporting the troops by being against war and against recruiting."

"It’s because we care about these people that we are standing up against the war machine," Joi said.

On Jan. 29, the city council approved a resolution that included letters to the Marines advising them that their recruiting station is unwelcome in Berkeley. It also called for an investigation into whether the U.S. military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy for homosexuals violated city anti-discrimination policy.

Other portions of the resolution applauded residents who "volunteer to impede" the work of the Marines, and gave Code Pink a parking space directly in front of the Marines' office from noon to 4 p.m. every Wednesday for six months, as well as waiving the fee for a sound permit.

That decision sparked a nationwide outrage, calls to withhold government funding for the city, and an apology and clarification from Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates.

On Tuesday, the council will hear from Laurie Capitelli and Betty Olds, two council members who are sponsoring a revised resolution that will ask the city not to send a letter to the Marine Corps saying it's unwelcome in Berkeley.

The resolution would reiterate the city's opposition to the Iraq war, while clarifying Berkeley's support of the nation's military servicemembers.

In a joint press statement, Capitelli and Olds said: “We failed to make it clear that while we continue to oppose what we consider an unethical and illegal war in Iraq, at the same time we respect and honor all the brave men and women who are serving or have served in the military … We have erred by not adequately differentiating between the war and the warriors.”

Capitelli and Olds also said in the press statement: “The recommendation to inform the Marine Corps recruiting office that they are not welcome in our city, was insulting, hurtful and wrong.”

The council's initial Marine Corps motions prompted a backlash from lawmakers in California's capital, Sacramento, and Washington. There have been calls to withhold state and federal funds — including $2 million in federal money earmarked for ferry service and school lunches, among other things — as well as an apology from Berkeley's mayor.

"Let me be absolutely clear that this is not about the men and women who are serving our country in our armed forces," Mayor Bates said on Feb. 1. "I am a retired U.S. Army Captain and I respect the choice of those who are serving our country.

"However, this community strongly opposes the war in Iraq and the foreign policy of the current administration."

He added: "I understand that there are people across the country that may not agree with this action, but it is the Berkeley City Council's responsibility to represent the will of the people of Berkeley."

That argument didn't fly with California Assemblyman Guy Houston, a Republican, who asked last week that $3.3 million in state transportation funds be suspended until the council rescinds its resolution.

"The Marines, and all of our branches of the military, deserve the honor of our elected officials, not their scorn," Houston said.

At Tuesday night's council meeting, Berkeley politicians will also consider measures that would condemn the construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexican border as well as a request to Canadian leaders to grant sanctuary for U.S. war resisters.

Any day on the bike is a good day.

rottenroger

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
Re: Berkeley City Council to Revisit Vote Against Marine Recruiting Station
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 06:11:26 PM »

They don't call that place Bezerkely for nothing. As a former Marine and a former californian, you could not pay me enough to live in that
state again. That place hasn't changed it's anti what ever colors since the sixties. They are all about their rights, but they forget who's
blood was spilled securing those same rights. I guess it takes all kinds  :nixweiss:
Code:

SE A/C
Rush Slip-on mufflers  2.25 Baffles
SERT
Chrome Head Bolt Bridge Cover
Ironside Passenger Floor boards
Flush Mount Gas Cap and Gauge
Standard Height Sissy Bar with Rack and 105 Annie Back Rest
Auxilary Passing Lamps
Clearview 17" light gray recurve Shield

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:06:06 PM »

Don't worry about offending us left coasters.  We think that the people in Berkley are a bunch of idiots just like the rest of the country!

What a bunch of 60's tie-dyed idiots!  Same town that has people living in trees for the last 10 months or so, so the college won't cut them down to build a training facility.  The whole town should be bulldozed and turned into parking for the rest of the area.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 07:29:34 PM »

As nutty f'd up as they are, they deserve Phelps. Seems one lone pilot could do a whole lotta good at that meeting.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:25:56 PM »

This was going on last week when I was down in SF.

I guess it got their attention when the congress started talking about pulling Federal funding.

Look at the last line in the article, "At Tuesday night's council meeting, Berkeley politicians will also consider measures that would condemn the construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexican border as well as a request to Canadian leaders to grant sanctuary for U.S. war resisters."

Are these folks from friggin' Mars?  It's a volunteer Army, Navy, Marines, AF.  The draft ended a long time ago.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 08:36:49 PM »

This was going on last week when I was down in SF.

I guess it got their attention when the congress started talking about pulling Federal funding.

Look at the last line in the article, "At Tuesday night's council meeting, Berkeley politicians will also consider measures that would condemn the construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexican border as well as a request to Canadian leaders to grant sanctuary for U.S. war resisters."

Are these folks from friggin' Mars?  It's a volunteer Army, Navy, Marines, AF.  The draft ended a long time ago.

Rog, many years ago when I was an innocent college undergrad I found kindred spirits in the female/feminist radical/nut job/out there political movements.  They were so sincere.  And so caring.  And so determined.  And there were so few guys around their groups.  And until they figured out you really didn't care less about their agenda they were so easy.... ???

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 08:44:31 PM »

Rog, many years ago when I was an innocent college undergrad I found kindred spirits in the female/feminist radical/nut job/out there political movements.  They were so sincere.  And so caring.  And so determined.  And there were so few guys around their groups.  And until they figured out you really didn't care less about their agenda they were so easy.... ???

Don, I think there are still a few of those alive.

They love the sun in California..............

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 08:46:35 PM »

Ewwwww!!!! :puke:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 08:47:33 PM »

Ewwwww!!!! :puke:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Hey, it's Don's vision..................

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 08:48:40 PM »

Hey, it's Don's vision..................
Aren't you confusing "vision" with "nightmare"? :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 08:54:28 PM »

THAT image is why I've always been afraid of taking a cruise.  Never step foot on a big cruise liner.  Perhaps it's Love Boat PTSD or something but I just know that all the inhabitants will be geriatrics.  And the thought of my old dear grandma in a bikini just scares the hell out of me.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 08:58:03 PM »

THAT image is why I've always been afraid of taking a cruise.  Never step foot on a big cruise liner.  Perhaps it's Love Boat PTSD or something but I just know that all the inhabitants will be geriatrics.  And the thought of my old dear grandma in a bikini just scares the hell out of me.

There you go, I guess some folks are just more comfortable in their skin than others, I just don't care to see it.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »

Don't worry about offending us left coasters.  We think that the people in Berkley are a bunch of idiots just like the rest of the country!

What a bunch of 60's tie-dyed idiots!  Same town that has people living in trees for the last 10 months or so, so the college won't cut them down to build a training facility.  The whole town should be bulldozed and turned into parking for the rest of the area.

Ernie,
         This subject comes prerilously close to inflamming me to a huge degree. My oldest graduated from Berkeley with honors garnering a degree in Microbiology and another one in French. She achieved the highest GPA in the history of the Berkeley French Dept.After earning two degrees in 4.5 yrs, she went on to a 1 year fellowship at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesday Maryland. From there she enrolled in Medical School and is currently a 3rd yr Med Student at the University of Michigan Medical School. For her first two years, no grades were kept, strictly pass or fail, but in her 3rd yr she is at or near the top of her class gaining high honors in all of her clinical rotations. No I know you are not calling my daughter in idiot nor are you calling anyone who attends and / or has graduated from UC Berkeley an idiot, but I am posting this because I would like to express that the City of Berkeley and the University of California at Berkeley are two separate entities.I would be grateful if everyone kept this in mind when speaking of Berkeley.

Thank You !

B B 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:57:46 PM by SPIDERMAN »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 03:52:44 PM »

B B, Univ. of Berkely never entered my mind on this issue......either when I was in San Francisco watching the event on TV or when Ernie posted here about the 60's tie-died bunch.

Not sure that is any consolation but clearly "to me" it was the city council and the radical group that pushed the issue on the council that were responsible.

Congrats on the success of your daughters, they clearly will be/are great contributors to our society. :2vrolijk_21:

Rog

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 04:00:36 PM »

Ernie,
         This subject comes prerilously close to inflamming me to a huge degree. My oldest graduated from Berkeley with honors garnering a degree in Microbiology and another one in French. She achieved the highest GPA in the history of the Berkeley French Dept.After earning two degrees in 4.5 yrs, she went on to a 1 year fellowship at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesday Maryland. From there she enrolled in Medical School and is currently a 3rd yr Med Student at the University of Michigan Medical School. For her first two years, no grades were kept, strictly pass or fail, but in her 3rd yr she is at or near the top of her class gaining high honors in all of her clinical rotations. No I know you are not calling my daughter in idiot nor are you calling anyone who attends and / or has graduated from UC Berkeley an idiot, but I am posting this because I would like to express that the City of Berkeley and the University of California at Berkeley are two separate entities.I would be grateful if everyone kept this in mind when speaking of Berkeley.

Thank You !

B B 
When is that sensitivity class taking place?? Believe it was mentioned over in the infamous Obama thread.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.