Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Aftermarket Mail Order Performance Mods! Buyer Beware!!!  (Read 15301 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Aftermarket Mail Order Performance Mods! Buyer Beware!!!
« on: February 23, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »

Well, ya'll know the torture I've been going thru with my motor. First a little background. I'm one of the few with a 110 that have given up on HD and have taken matters into my own hands to fix the 110 problems. It started with the dreaded rear cylinder head gasket leak. I had a HD Service Manager then who was willing to go out on a limb and allow me to useaftermarket parts to fix this mess, and labor would be on them. So we went to Cycle-rama to have a new 110" top end package, to put on the stock bottom, and eliminate the 110 issues. At that time, I got from them new heads, custom chain-drive cams, Feuling OP and Camplate, new HD pistons and cylinders, 58mm HPI Throttle Body, S&S DPP A/C assembly, V&H TD's w/S&S SPO mufflers and the PC. Eventually, we got the bike running great. Then after 5000 miles, the compression release shorted out, blew the ECM fuse, shut down everything and spit one of the compression releases out of the head, threads and all. That started the third top end rebuilding process!

At that time, we sent the heads back to CR to have the holes for the ACR's welded closed and manual CR's installed. We got the Axtell barrels, and CP forged pistons, to go with everything we already had. We assembled everything then brought the bike to Joe's Cycle for extensive tuning and testing. We determined that the performance was suffering from use of the TD's and the 58mm TB. We installed a Performance FatCat exhaust and an HPI 62mm TB. We got excellent numbers from it, and the bike ran that way too! Like a raped ape. Extremely happy, I thought I was done. Until I found that my rear head was never torqued and I had to pull the Top End again. At that time, the dealer, who couldn't recover any more $$$ from w.....ty, washed their hands of this "complicated" engine! Finally, although, I didn't realize it then, I got a break! I have to pay someone to do it right. If I only knew that when I started this mess!

Well, I bring the bike to Vern, he packs up all my chit, and sends it all back to Cycle-rama to get taken care of again and setup properly. This is because we found out that the morons at the dealer had no business trying to assemble a motor like this in the first place. They're setup to bolt chit on! And only that. Clearancing and fitting pistons! Torque Plates! What's that! We aren't equipped for this! OK, nuff said! Get my bike as far away from this place as possible. So Vern takes it down, and doesn't like what he sees after only 800 miles on this Top End. Cylinders and pistons were galled! :o

2-1/2 months later, CR did me a favor and "rushed" my stuff back to me. WHAT CRAP WE GOT BACK FROM THEM!!! Cylinders still galled, gaska-cinch still all over everything from previous install, broken fins on the heads which were sent specifically sent there to get repaired (they came this way the first time and I used them instead of sending them back) never fixed, pistons that don't even fit the S&S crank (which they knew we were using) still setup up for the POS HD Tapered end rods! You name it, we got crap back!!! This is after working very closely with them and "being on the same page" with everything.

Well I got this bag of dogchit back from them and called them to raise hell with a vengeance. We had a conference call with Vern,  Pam and myself. When Vern explained all the issues, she finally agreed that they would take the stuff back to make it right. HOW THE HELL CAN YOU HAVE THIS CHIT FOR 3 MONTHS, AFTER TALKING TO ME AND I'VE SPENT A FORTUNE THERE, HAVE IT COME BACK LIKE DOGCHIT!!! Well, when they heard that Vern's a real engine builder, and was actually checking ALL THEIR WORK, has and uses Torque Plates, and will check the clearance and fit of EVERYTHING before he'll assemble it, they changed their tune real quick. Vern told them not to fit the pistons since they wouldn't give me CP's specs. I got ahold of CP, told them what pistons they custom made for CR, and they sent Vern all the specs for those pistons.

Guess what gang, and I even asked ya'll here about CP Forged piston cylinder to wall clearance. Never got a spec here either. Only people's responses that I should use .0025". Well guess what gang, per CP spec sheet for MY pistons, clearly shows .0035 with 0 tolerance!!! :o

Of course CR, knowing all this will be checked now, went and redid everything, including finally fitting the pistons. Their attitude before that was that everything fits fine off the shelf!!! BS! BS! BS!

Turns out the first set of pistons are actually.0005" larger than the new ones. And the cylinders and pistons were galled. Now the new ones are fitted to .0025", which is still incorrect. WELL WTH DOES THAT TELL YOU THE FIRST SET WAS CLEARANCED AT.... .0017"-.0015"! WTF!!! No wonder they're galled!!! :o

Basically what I'm saying here is, we all think we're so smart because of all the technical info at our disposal. We tend to trust the vendors because of their reputations until we get screwed! WELL I'M TIRED OF GETTING SCREWED BY VENDORS AND DEALERS!!! You guys are all buying preconfigured packages to bolt on in your garages. All setup, properly fitted and clearanced and ready to install!!! BULLCHIT!!! I'm telling you right now, if you're not an engine builder and do not have all the equipment and tools to CHECK EVERYTHING you buy from a performance vendor, you're making a big mistake not DOUBLECHECKING EVERYTHING FIRST!!!

Now my motor can begin it's first REAL rebuilding process, by the professional whose hands it should'a been in in the first place. I went thru all this chit to save Labor W.....ty $$$. What an asshole. I'm paying anyway, and lost a year of my life of riding my bike in the process. Yeah, I've learned an awful lot since then, and I know what I wanted this engine to be once and for all, and I managed to get 8800 miles on her anyway.

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 03:50:40 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Aftermarket Mail Order Performance Mods! Buyer Beware!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 03:43:09 PM »

BUT CYBIL DESERVED BETTER. I should'a took it to Vern and paid myself from the get go. As Hubbard would say.....THERE ENDETH THE LESSON!!!!!

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 03:50:55 PM by Hoist »

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »

And there's so much more to this. I can't begin to write it all down. But ya'll are nuts trying to do any performance work yourself unless you have the knowledge, machines, tools, experience, and ALL the mfr's specs before thinking about doing it. These guys are all FOS and knowing that you're far away, they're not doing the work, and you'll never get there to have them fix it, they can do any friggin thing they want, regardless of what you paid for. After all, WTF do ya'll really know. Some guys here can do this and are equipped to do so. Most aren't! It's all about making money, not making you happy! SMARTEN UP PEOPLE! LEAVE IT TO A LOCAL PRO, ONE THAT CARES. HE'LL TAKE CARE OF YOU. NOT LIKE OUT OF TOWN AFTERMARKET VENDORS!!! ;)

PM me, I'll give you my number if you want to discuss this further. Just be careful out there gang!

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 03:57:17 PM by Hoist »

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 04:05:46 PM »

So Howie, tell us how you really feel!

Sorry to hear about all of the BS that you've gone through.  When do you think that it will be finished correctly?
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 04:09:25 PM »

So Howie, tell us how you really feel!

Sorry to hear about all of the BS that you've gone through.  When do you think that it will be finished correctly?

You know I don't sugar-coat nuthin' Ernie. This thread ain't for me! I've already learned my lesson. It's for everyone else out there looking to do upgrades or fed up with 110 problems. If people don't pay attention to this, they'll get exactly what they deserve! I was lucky to head this off at the pass. And I'm not saying all vendors suck. I'm saying ALL WORK, NO MATTER WHOSE, NEEDS TO BE CHECKED BEFORE USING IT!!! ;)

I'm hoping 3-4 weeks to completion! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 05:08:12 PM by Hoist »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 04:15:45 PM »

Howie - You been there & done that & didn't get the tshirt maybe but you can sureashell prove it.

Amen, Bro.  You speaka da truth.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 04:28:33 PM »

I have nothing to gain or lose by saying this. I have no vested interest in anything but my bike! This a warning to others that are looking to try similar approaches to what I've done. I still feel that my solution to this is valid. That it will work. And that THIS ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE. But it does require dedicated vendors and builders to get it done properly!

I plan on working with Vern after I'm done with my bike, to get some packages ready to present to ya'll, with everything properly designed, configured, clearanced and fitted, and pre-mocked up on a engine before it's shipped back to you. He'll provide a PC map to get you going and just go get final tuned when you're done. Any interest in that?? ;)

Hoist! 8)

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 05:04:36 PM »

I plan on working with Vern after I'm done with my bike, to get some packages ready to present to ya'll, with everything properly designed, configured, clearanced and fitted, and pre-mocked up on a engine before it's shipped back to you. He'll provide a PC map to get you going and just go get final tuned when you're done. Any interest in that?? ;)

Hoist! 8)

Good idea Howie, you know how I feel about getting an engine done right.  At least if we have a problem, we know where you live :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 05:14:43 PM »

Sorry to here about your troubles. The motor man at my dealer is waiting on torque plates before he will install my new harley jugs. He says harley jugs most times new .005 bore to straighten them up. He sets his own kits up because of all the extra work needed to fit problems from other peoples kits. Well i hope your all fixed up and ready for spring.Ride Safe JDO

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 05:31:28 PM »

Sorry to here about your troubles. The motor man at my dealer is waiting on torque plates before he will install my new harley jugs. He says harley jugs most times new .005 bore to straighten them up. He sets his own kits up because of all the extra work needed to fit problems from other peoples kits. Well i hope your all fixed up and ready for spring.Ride Safe JDO

Thanks JDO! But don't be sorry. I did things bass ackwards here. If you're gonna heavily modify your bike, pay the right person from the beginning. There's no such thing as something for nothing. And that's what you get for your w.....ty! nothing!!! Nothing of any quality. Nothing that you can be proud to say you have after spending $32K on a stock motorcycle!

Going to a quality builder at least gives you the hope of winding up with something to be proud of in the end!!! I don't put Cycle-rama in that category anymore. Sorry to anyone that might have used them on my earlier recommendation. You don't know what you don't know. My bike ran great. I didn't know it wasn't a quality job that wasn't checked for perfection before being shipped out. And it was simply bolted on by a dealer! Why did it fail so soon. Hmmm, I don't know! Why don't ya'll tell me. Musta been that the pistons weren't balanced first!!! ::)

Hoist! 8)

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 05:44:32 PM »

Glad you are getting it Straight! Buy anything from any vendor it's sold and they manily don't want to hear from you again unless it's to buy something else.

Now you can sit back and fell good about getting the motor you want and know will be right.  The pain you have suffered will soon be forgotten when you can get back into the wind.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 06:23:54 PM »

Dammit Howie, that just blows big time and "DOGCHIT" is way too polite a description of what they've been shoveling your way. Let's hope it's right this next and final, time so you can get out there when the damn weather improves.
Holy Chit Batman, what an ordeal!  :nixweiss:

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »

JUMPIN JOE'S HOS A FAT..errr..jumping johosafat...JUMPING JOHOIST...I mean..

Dammit Hoist! You need to write a book. Howie's memoirs of  motor rebuild. Sorry to hear of the troubles man. Don't quit until it's fixed.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

hogasm

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 07:32:45 PM »

Dont have a scanner to print out the specs on my CP pistons Howie, but here are some measurements that are on the spec sheet

bore diameter 4.25
clearance 0.0015     piston size 0.4" up form bottom of skirt 4.2485"
compression height 1.39
top groove width 0.044     top groove diameter 3.891
2nd groove width 0.06      2nd groove diameter 3.875
3rd groove width 0.099      3rd groove diameter 3.92

intake relief -0.215            exhaust valve relief -.205

profile dish depth dome height 0

pin diameter 0.927
pin length 2.75
lock type .073 wire

gram weight 457

CP recommends that the piston to bore clearance for this 4.25" bore to be 0.0015"

This might be because this piston has such small side skirts almost non existing. The 110...4" piston has a longer skirt, which might call for the clearance on your piston to bore to be 0.0025

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 07:42:32 PM »

JUMPIN JOE'S HOS A FAT..errr..jumping johosafat...JUMPING JOHOIST...I mean..

Dammit Hoist! You need to write a book. Howie's memoirs of  motor rebuild. Sorry to hear of the troubles man. Don't quit until it's fixed.

That's right Ken! But you mean until it's fixed RIGHT! ;)

Dammit Howie, that just blows big time and "DOGCHIT" is way too polite a description of what they've been shoveling your way. Let's hope it's right this next and final, time so you can get out there when the damn weather improves.
Holy Chit Batman, what an ordeal!  :nixweiss:

Joe

You're right Joe. But it is what it is, and I can only look forward from here. I'm fortunate to wind up having Vern build it in the end. This would have never been discovered if it were just bolted on by a dealer or in someone's garage. That's why I'm warning everyone. I knew what I was doing, but trusted too many distant (and local) strangers! :nixweiss:

Glad you are getting it Straight! Buy anything from any vendor it's sold and they manily don't want to hear from you again unless it's to buy something else.

Now you can sit back and fell good about getting the motor you want and know will be right.  The pain you have suffered will soon be forgotten when you can get back into the wind.

That's the bottom line here. It can't be every vendor. But you really don't know who the true good ones are until you have their work checked. They can't all come from the Zipper's model of customer service! ::)

And all of this is to accomplish the only thing I wanted from this bike in the first place! To be in the wind with the best performing Road King ever built!!! That's within my grasp now!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 25 queries.