Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: New Vance & Hines Monster Ovals  (Read 72920 times)

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2010 R1200RT
    • CVO3: 1985 Ducati MHR Mille
Re: New Vance & Hines Monster Ovals
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2008, 11:58:17 PM »

I installed the chrome tipped Monster Ovals on my 2008 SEUC yesterday, and the Screaming Eagle AC with K&N filter today.  Don't let the Vance & Hines marketing phrase: "Monster Ovals crush the old saying that more power requires more noise" fool you -- these cans are LOUD.  I can no longer hear any engine noises, shifts other than into 1st gear, and I have to run the radio at least two 'clicks' higher volume to hear it.

They got the tone great -- these have the lowest, deepest rumble of anything I've heard on late model Harleys, but they're not quiet.  I was hoping for something just a little louder than stock.

The odd thing is that they don't seem to be that loud when I really get on it or run it up to 3,500+ RPMs.  Where they seem to really rumble is a casual takeoff from 0 to 35 or 40 when you only crack or use about 1/8 throttle.  When the RPMs are between 1,800 and 2,600 at small throttle openings, these MOs really rumble loud.  It seems like the things you'd normally do to quiet down loud pipes just make these come to life.  When I really get on it or at higher speeds running in the 2,800-3,200 range they don't seem nearly as loud (maybe about 30% louder than stock).

I know sound is very subjective and difficult to describe, but I was quite surprised at how loud these are just off idle.  They don't bark or pop at all when I get on it: in fact, they seem to be a lot milder than my friend's True Duals with Rineharts.  His pipes really bark when he gets on it or gets into higher RPMs.

All in all I love the tone/sound - but they definitely make themselves known..

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2008, 08:47:39 AM »

Reading the previous post it just goes to show you how subjective sound is.  Everyone hears things differently.  While CTcvorider thinks the MO's get quieter at higher RPM's I think they get louder.  When cruising at around the 3,000 rpm range they really bother me.  Especially after a couple of hours on the highway.  Mine are on a '06 SE Ultra with V&H true duals.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2008, 03:00:42 PM »

I oredered a set from ebay 2 days ago. I got tired of waiting on my local and not so local parts places to come up with a set for the 09's. 624.95 including shipping for the chrome tip set for the 2009 Cuse. I'll post what I think whenever I get them on. Glad I stumbled onto this post.

Very interesting.

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »

I installed the chrome tipped Monster Ovals on my 2008 SEUC yesterday, and the Screaming Eagle AC with K&N filter today.  Don't let the Vance & Hines marketing phrase: "Monster Ovals crush the old saying that more power requires more noise" fool you -- these cans are LOUD.  I can no longer hear any engine noises, shifts other than into 1st gear, and I have to run the radio at least two 'clicks' higher volume to hear it.

They got the tone great -- these have the lowest, deepest rumble of anything I've heard on late model Harleys, but they're not quiet.  I was hoping for something just a little louder than stock.

The odd thing is that they don't seem to be that loud when I really get on it or run it up to 3,500+ RPMs.  Where they seem to really rumble is a casual takeoff from 0 to 35 or 40 when you only crack or use about 1/8 throttle.  When the RPMs are between 1,800 and 2,600 at small throttle openings, these MOs really rumble loud.  It seems like the things you'd normally do to quiet down loud pipes just make these come to life.  When I really get on it or at higher speeds running in the 2,800-3,200 range they don't seem nearly as loud (maybe about 30% louder than stock).

I know sound is very subjective and difficult to describe, but I was quite surprised at how loud these are just off idle.  They don't bark or pop at all when I get on it: in fact, they seem to be a lot milder than my friend's True Duals with Rineharts.  His pipes really bark when he gets on it or gets into higher RPMs.

All in all I love the tone/sound - but they definitely make themselves known..

I installed the HardKrome stepped headers to 2" with their 4" muffler and they are loud.  Look good but they are much louder than I wanted.  The sound is not a deep rumble but a Sharp crack.  did you dyno the bike after the install and if so what were the results. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 06:27:55 PM by 07SEBiker »
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2008, 09:39:49 PM »

I oredered a set from ebay 2 days ago. I got tired of waiting on my local and not so local parts places to come up with a set for the 09's. 624.95 including shipping for the chrome tip set for the 2009 Cuse. I'll post what I think whenever I get them on. Glad I stumbled onto this post.

Very interesting.

Rob, yes I am still watching you......you cannot hide!  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: Remember what happens if you install these MONSTERS before 5K?  My mouth is watering as I type this!  :2vrolijk_21:

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2008, 09:46:48 PM »

Rob,
 You put 5k on that new scooter allready!

my monsters just came  for my cuse4 , pick up tomorrow and will have them on by sunday

will post pics and my .02$

jon
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2008, 10:06:48 AM »

Rob, yes I am still watching you......you cannot hide!  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: Remember what happens if you install these MONSTERS before 5K?  My mouth is watering as I type this!  :2vrolijk_21:

Yes I do.... remember this statement?
I love the look of the Monster Ovals and I like V&H....had them on my last two SE's as you may know.  Someone I know who has the Bub 7's complained they were too loud.  My V&Hs have been perfect.  So I WANT you to be the guinea pig on this one.  My only question on the Monsters is the fit and you will answer that for all of us.  So I (we) thank you.....steak or no steak.
I got "retired" last week so I have time to come to Ocala or Orlando for a good time......dutch.
Send pics when you can.
Warren   

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2008, 10:12:01 AM »

Rob,
 You put 5k on that new scooter allready!

my monsters just came for my cuse4 , pick up tomorrow and will have them on by sunday

will post pics and my .02$

jon

Not quite, by the time they get here it should be close. We've had  A LOT going on within the family the last 30 days and I have not been able to ride as much as I want. This bike is the best I have had by far of any of the touring models I have owned.

I think from what everyone here has posted and by the sound of that you tube video I will be very pleased with the new Ovals. My ONLY concern is that it changes driveability. I am hoping that with these being an actual muffler, the back pressure will remain the same and the bike will remain as smooth and powerful as it is now, which is enough for me (not trying to win any dyno contest :-) ).

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »

Yes I do.... remember this statement?

Yes.....I do now.  I am in PCB regrouping so to speak.  I went ahead and ordered the Bub 7 slipons because I found a good deal on ebay ($369).  I need something quick to make some noise.....particularly down here with all the "blue hairs".
Waiting for your pics when you do the install
Take care 

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2008, 08:41:50 PM »

Yes.....I do now.  I am in PCB regrouping so to speak.  I went ahead and ordered the Bub 7 slipons because I found a good deal on ebay ($369).  I need something quick to make some noise.....particularly down here with all the "blue hairs".
Waiting for your pics when you do the install
Take care 
;D :2vrolijk_21: PCB= Panama City Beach?

markt

« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2008, 10:43:11 PM »

All this talk has intrigued me about adding some Monster Ovals over the winter rest.  What's the upside to upgrading the pipes to VH true duals vs just adding the Monster Ovals onto my 08 SERK SE stock pipes?

...mark

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2008, 08:29:50 AM »

;D :2vrolijk_21: PCB= Panama City Beach?

Yes....Panama City Beach.  I brought the bike down but have not ridden much, only one trip to Destin. 

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2008, 12:03:04 PM »

Mark,

There isn't any huge advantage in adding the V&H true duals.  You may relieve a little of the heat but a good tuning will do more for heat.  Lots of times it just comes down to looks.  Many like to eliminate the cross-over pipe.  If I was you, I would first try adding just the mufflers and see what you think.  You will usually get a little more torque with the stock head pipes.  All mufflers will be a little louder with true duals.

Zeb

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2010 R1200RT
    • CVO3: 1985 Ducati MHR Mille
« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2008, 03:49:26 PM »

I forgot to comment on the fit and finish when I composed my post regarding the tone and volume.

Both fit and finish are excellent.  They extend about an inch further out than the stock mufflers and are, of course, larger.  Each muffler weighs about 4-5 pounds more than the stock ones.  The chrome looks to be first rate and the attachment hardware is a bit heftier than stock.  All in all they look to be high quality.  They fit without a hitch.

I may have picked up a trace of vibration at 2,500 RPM and above, but nothing really noticeable -- it may just be the noise I'm feeling.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »

I forgot to comment on the fit and finish when I composed my post regarding the tone and volume.

Both fit and finish are excellent.  They extend about an inch further out than the stock mufflers and are, of course, larger.  Each muffler weighs about 4-5 pounds more than the stock ones.  The chrome looks to be first rate and the attachment hardware is a bit heftier than stock.  All in all they look to be high quality.  They fit without a hitch.

I may have picked up a trace of vibration at 2,500 RPM and above, but nothing really noticeable -- it may just be the noise I'm feeling.

Thats exactly what I do not want. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 24 queries.