Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: I turned it down  (Read 7445 times)

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
I turned it down
« on: April 27, 2005, 09:36:45 PM »

I turned down a red one today in Daytona after the dealer wanted $495 frieght, $ 284 set-up and $ 589 service and handling fee's, this was on top of 2K over MSRP. I thought the $ 589 was a slap in the face after asking for the 2K over.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 10:59:25 PM by jimp »

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: I turned it down
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 09:50:05 PM »

Good for you man. Hope everyone else does the same! Greed is brutal...

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 10:29:30 PM »

Jimp

I had seen the 05 red SEEG's in pictures but never in person.

I was at New Smyrna H/D during Biketoberfest and they had one sitting outside.

I fell in LUST!

Knowing it had a msrp of 29,995 I asked what it would take to buy it.

He said 34,995 plus freight, set up and title work.

Needless to say I came back home and ordered one here.

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 10:39:49 PM »

Jimp

I had seen the 05 red SEEG's in pictures but never in person.

I was at New Smyrna H/D during Biketoberfest and they had one sitting outside.

I fell in LUST!

Knowing it had a msrp of 29,995 I asked what it would take to buy it.

He said 34,995 plus freight, set up and title work.

Needless to say I came back home and ordered one here.

They are starting to show up more in my area, but the common ploy to jack the price over MSRP is " we bought it from another dealer "    hell there must be alot of dealers that can't sell them, where are these dealers. I have cash which makes no difference to them, but is does to me when I spend it on bogus fee's and excess mark-up.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 10:40:51 PM by jimp »

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 10:56:14 PM »

my deal for a new Banana is at just under 31K before tax, title to be done by me out of state seemed OK.   Am I getting a 1K rip off on the shipping and set-up.  I will probably f
go ahead with it no what, but just want to know how bad I was getting taken before I go ahead.    What is normal for "MSRP" dealers to get total before T&T?
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 10:58:12 PM »

Jim,

An angle you want to try is to call  older established dealer's in Upstate New York and Ohio. The bike is out there........its just finding a decent dealer to work with. The shops that have been in business for say 15 plus years(***with same owner's***) are usually more customer friendly and easier to deal with then the newer "HD Stealer's" that have popped up over the past 10 years. That's been my experience for what its worth......

I guess the newer dealer's are either over financed or its just plain greed which leads them to these aggressive sales tactics. They preach how they want customer loyalty, yet their own operating strategies don't allow them to earn it. Its a two way street.

Good Luck and I'll check around for you. I also own an enclosed trailer and would be glad to help you get your SEEG home safely if you find it here in my area.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 11:04:59 PM »

Pappy2,

I paid MSRP, sales tax, $270 freight and $150 for title & doc fees. That's as clean as it gets (I think). [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Dealer's are paid by HD for the set up but most try to double dip on that item. Since they already have a 22% margin at MSRP alone you'd think that's enough profit for them to survive on by itself..........except supply and demand principle's apply on SEEG's in many market's. [smiley=confused5.gif]

Which should bode well for the long term investment. [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 11:16:49 PM »

Pappy2,

I paid MSRP, sales tax, $270 freight and $150 for title & doc fees. That's as clean as it gets (I think). [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Dealer's are paid by HD for the set up but most try to double dip on that item. Since they already have a 22% margin at MSRP alone you'd think that's enough profit for them to survive on by itself..........except supply and demand principle's apply on SEEG's in many market's. [smiley=confused5.gif]

Which should bode well for the long term investment. [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

Hell $270 freight is plainly listed on the HD site, but this guy wants $495, I will find one here, there is alot of dealers in Florida.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 01:56:38 AM »

my deal for a new Banana is at just under 31K before tax, title to be done by me out of state seemed OK.   Am I getting a 1K rip off on the shipping and set-up.  I will probably f
go ahead with it no what, but just want to know how bad I was getting taken before I go ahead.    What is normal for "MSRP" dealers to get total before T&T?

Our out the door price is $33k...MSRP dealer....your not far off

jmorton10

• Full CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 05:23:56 AM »

I was in an upstate NY dealer last week & they had a red one on the showroom floor.

A buddy of mine asked about the price & the owner told him $29,900 + $270 freight +sales tax out the door.

~John

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 07:50:12 AM »

JIMP that is a game the Furman auto group plays. They own Branden,Tampa and Gulf Coast. They buy from all over the US and Canada at MSRP then jack up the price. The people down in that area buy them up and thats why they do it. BTW thier service department sucks as well.

Go to a good dealer and have them find you a bike on the dealer locator. If they won't PM me and I will get it done for you then fax you the list with phone numbers.  The locator will tell you where they are all over the country. You pick an area and do a search. That is how I got the pumpkin at MSRP with no extras.

Good luck with this Harley Davidson STEALER B/S   Stay Safe.

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 09:24:29 AM »

At the end of last Aug. when I was looking for a orange and black seeg,the dealer close to me gave me a list of 25 dealers with one left.I paid $1000.00 over ,I'm happy I did it ,but It still feels like I tossed $1000 buck's into the fire!
hdnut

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 10:44:27 PM »

While in Florida this past winter I was bike shopping, didn't expect to buy it there but I priced them out. Since most of the dealers between Daytona and Ft Lauderdale are owned by the same person they were all way overpriced. I don't know about ownership of Treasure Coast in Stuart, but being right in the middle he was way over too. Had a nice low mile 04 road king that I was almost interested in until he gave me the price, was 2 g’s more then a new one back home.

I bought my SEEG from Long Branch HD, in central New Jersey. They are MSRP, $270 for freight and $130 for prep, anything more then that and the dealer is gouging.. Those numbers are the factory’s numbers, and you only pay the actual doc fees, when the plates come in ($65 in NJ). BTW, in New Jersey it is illegal to charge more then the actual cost for your registration and plates. Several big dealers just got hit with huge fines over this.

The MOCO is pushing all dealers to become highway mega store like the auto industry; it is a shame because the home town type shops are usually the best deals all around.

I intended to buy my bike from Long Branch, but when I was ready, and undecided on model and color ( I started out getting a Night Train), I did the dealer road trip. Hit 6 dealers in one day within an 80 mile radius of me. Saw just about every model and color choice.  Most were “superstores” two (Long Branch and Mills) were small dealers. These two were the only MSRP dealers to boot.

I paid MSRP, $270, $130 freight & prep, $65 for plates, chided the salesman in “giving” me the air pump for the shocks (What, I’m spending all this money and I have to Buy the pump too?”) and I get 15% off a ALL parts (not just HD) for 3 months. Long Branch has been in business for 30 years and the lead tech has been there 28 years. Nice People.

I hemmed and hawed about spending all that money for the SEEG, and when I finally went up to the salesman and said I would take it (it had been on the showroom floor for about 2 weeks) it wasn’t 5 minutes before some guy walked in after me and wanted that bike. As we were sitting there the truck rolled in with the dealers last SEEG for the year (cherry), the 2nd guy bought that one. 10 minutes later another guy walks in wanting the bike, when he found out they were sold out for the year he offered me $2000 over what I just wrote the check for while we were closing the deal!

If you are anywhere in New Jersey I would recommend the dealer without hesitation.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 05:24:15 AM »

In October of 2004 I walked into Republic Harley Davidson in Stafford, Texas and instantly fell in love with the 2004 FLHTSE. I really wanted it. The sales price was 35,999.00. I was so close to buying the bike. All I needed to do was sign on the bottom line. I walked away. They called me twice at home but they really didnt want to deal.

FAST FORWARD JAN 2005: I went to Stubbs Cycles in Houston to pick up oil and filter for my road glide, next thing you know I asking the salesman if he had a 05 FLHTSE2. He said it was sold 33,999.00. 15 minutes later the mechanic is rolling it out onto the sales floor. It was gourgeous. I left the store really bummed. Two days later I called him back and the deal had fallen through. I was really jonesen by this point. I tried to talk myself out of it. HAD TO HAVE IT! The next afternoon I was at the dealership signing the paperwork. $31,500.00 out the door. I am glad I waited. You know there is always another deal,better deal out there.You just have to be patient and wait. I started going into Stubbs back in the early 70s. Now they have a Harley dealership also. I bought my 2003 Road Glide from them. Those sales guys in the Harley shops in the Daytona Beach must be on crack or something. They ruin it for everyone with those high prices. I told them that too!
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 07:10:48 AM »

I'm going looking Saturday, I will make it a all day ride from Tampa thru Orlando and Daytona, If I can't buy one without bending over at least I can bust Their chops in person.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 20 queries.