Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Dancing Road Glide  (Read 20314 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Dancing Road Glide
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2008, 03:48:16 PM »

just looking out for your well being...... dont want you to have a swing arm failure while on the road.

since this is a saftey upgrade, and your updateing to 02-newer parts it will be a great time to upgrade the rear brakes

All true.  Rear calipers are an area I don't get as worried about though.  The rear caliper with the Lyndall or DP pads does a job that is very comparable to improved calipers.  Definitely not as good.  But pretty darned good in their right.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2008, 03:51:22 PM »

guess the biggest questions would be axle diameter and spacing requiernments
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2008, 03:57:32 PM »

This thread is chock full of reasons why my trying to buy a mechanically well worn by decent cosmetically 01 SERG is a great idea. I plan on tearing it down to the bare frame and updating the aforementioned and a host of other items.

B B

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2008, 06:40:31 PM »

Hey Don, the SE Road King has the new style swingarm, correct?   :huepfenjump3:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 06:49:17 PM by erniezap »
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2008, 06:42:46 PM »

Hey, the SE Road King has the new style swingarm, correct?   :huepfenjump3:

Yes, the 02 SERK has the same swingarm they used till they went to a larger rear wheel on the 07 SERK,SEUC etc
The P/N should match from 02 - 06

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2008, 10:11:55 PM »

guess the biggest questions would be axle diameter and spacing requiernments

Did do a little homework this afternoon.  Best of all, however, was speaking with someone who'd actually done the deed and getting confirmation of what I'd already begun to figure out.

Rear swingarm as an assembly can be used complete.  So the swingarm, axle, belt guard, etc can all come off one bike and go on the older one.  No mixing and matching.

No changes to the frame either.  Only retrofitting required will be to the transmission.  The long hole the rear fork shaft goes through has to be enlarged to allow the change from the .625" to the .750" shaft. 

Was told that once all the old pieces are out of the way there is plenty of access in the frame.  So no need to pull anything that you wouldn't otherwise be pulling to make the change.

The confirmation from someone who had actually done the deed came from a very helpful and pleasant gentleman at www.glide-pro.com .  His company sells an upgraded fork shaft and bushing/bearing kit.  So no doubt he'd suggest the bigger swingarm and his shaft kit as the ideal upgrade combination.

The other relatively easily accomplished alternative I found to complete the retrofit is from the Sta-Bo people whose swingarm bushings several of us have used.  Along with the StaBo I and StaBo II kits for pre and post 2002 bikes they also offer a StaBo III bushing kit.  This kit's purpose is to put the newer swingarm in the older bikes.

Since the hole in the tranny for the fork shaft isn't enlarged this kit would seemingly have to hang the bigger swingarm on the 1/8" smaller shaft.  It would do this in their "Delrin" (still don't know what the hell that really is) bushings.

Since enlarging the hole in the tranny costs nothing (if you've got bits and hones) doing it that way would be cheaper (assuming using the stock parts).  Expense goes up if one goes with the fancy aftermarket fork shaft and bushings/bearings though.  Using the Sta-Bo kit, however, has to mean staying with the smaller shaft.  Honestly probably not that big a deal.  But if the goal is to make the whole rear more robust cutting that corner would annoy me a little.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:25:02 PM by Twolanerider »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2008, 10:23:05 PM »

thanks for the link & info.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2008, 10:57:57 PM »

Don,
      Changing out your rear axle to the 1" size of the newer swingarm is a simple matter for a shop versed in wheel set-up. The old bearings and spacer are removed and new larger bearings fit right in with the most difficult part being the center spacer. You shouldn't have any issue finding someone close to home who can accomplish this. I agree on on not cutting corners on the swingarm pivot shaft. Ream it out to the larger size and be done with it. With the Progressive 440 shocks, the new swing arm and a True-Track, you've got the rear of this puppy nailed down solid. I'll look forward to reading about what you do with the front end. Might I suggest that if you do get into that to go with 08 style tubes and lower sliders so you can fit up a set of stock 07 and up H-D Brembo calipers. I suspect that you'll find them on E-bay since the Mo-Co sells them in chrome. Might even score a set at you local H-D shop from someone going the OCD route.

Good Luck with the E-bay auction on the swingarm

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2008, 11:15:35 PM »

Don,
      Changing out your rear axle to the 1" size of the newer swingarm is a simple matter for a shop versed in wheel set-up. The old bearings and spacer are removed and new larger bearings fit right in with the most difficult part being the center spacer. You shouldn't have any issue finding someone close to home who can accomplish this. I agree on on not cutting corners on the swingarm pivot shaft. Ream it out to the larger size and be done with it. With the Progressive 440 shocks, the new swing arm and a True-Track, you've got the rear of this puppy nailed down solid. I'll look forward to reading about what you do with the front end. Might I suggest that if you do get into that to go with 08 style tubes and lower sliders so you can fit up a set of stock 07 and up H-D Brembo calipers. I suspect that you'll find them on E-bay since the Mo-Co sells them in chrome. Might even score a set at you local H-D shop from someone going the OCD route.

Good Luck with the E-bay auction on the swingarm

B B

Agreed completely Brian.  The rear axle isn't a problem at all.  I've got fair sized press at the shop so it's not even a farmed out job.  I think I remember HD even selling pre-packaged "wheel installation kits" with all the bits.  Not a big deal whether they do or not though.

While on the phone here for a bit have also seen that some eBay snooping will beat that $75 cost for a swingarm.  $50-ish has been a not uncommon price for some that have sold recently.  Since I don't have to be in a huge hurry with any of this I'll try to score some bits in Bristol fashion and tie it all up as its convenient.  Won't drag it out forever of course.  But won't mind trusting the currently installed swing arm for awhile.  It may have got tweaked a little.  But the bike still feels good.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2008, 12:00:04 AM »

Well I'm in the process of collecting parts to upgrade the swingarm on my '01. I already have the swingarm. I was looking at calipers, but wondered if the OEM  3/4" axle hold could be drilled out to 1"....don't see why not. I know I will need the 1"axle, bushings, and bearings. Will I need a rear wheel too? Is it better to drill out the tranny hole, or go with the new "Delrin" bushings? A screwed up tranny costs a lot more than some bushings. What do you guys think?

I plan on having all the stuff on hand and doing it all when it's time for a new rear tire.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2008, 12:16:48 AM »

Well I'm in the process of collecting parts to upgrade the swingarm on my '01. I already have the swingarm. I was looking at calipers, but wondered if the OEM  3/4" axle hold could be drilled out to 1"....don't see why not. I know I will need the 1"axle, bushings, and bearings. Will I need a rear wheel too? Is it better to drill out the tranny hole, or go with the new "Delrin" bushings? A screwed up tranny costs a lot more than some bushings. What do you guys think?

I plan on having all the stuff on hand and doing it all when it's time for a new rear tire.

Ironhorse
             You don't have to drill out anything on the wheel. The center of all wheels is the same. It's hollow and quite a bit larger than 1". What you see is the bearings, races, seals and a tube the size of the axle with sills or washer like seats on it. That has to be a certain length for bearing end play. Then the bearings be they 3/4" , 1" or 25mm and seals go over that.

I'd drill out the trans hole or ream it. You should be able to do it in the bike with a 1/2" drill and a 3/4" bit although you could ream it slowly if the drilling idea makes you nervous. The case and boss you're working on are aluminum and work quite easily. Care and patience and you'll be fine. It isn't rocket science.

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2008, 12:20:12 AM »

Ironhorse
             You don't have to drill out anything on the wheel. The center of all wheels is the same. It's hollow and quite a bit larger than 1". What you see is the bearings, races, seals and a tube the size of the axle with sills or washer like seats on it. That has to be a certain length for bearing end play. Then the bearings be they 3/4" , 1" or 25mm and seals go over that.

I'd drill out the trans hole or ream it. You should be able to do it in the bike with a 1/2" drill and a 3/4" bit although you could ream it slowly if the drilling idea makes you nervous. The case and boss you're working on are aluminum and work quite easily. Care and patience and you'll be fine. It isn't rocket science.

B B

;D ;D ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2008, 12:23:08 AM »

Spidey,

Thanks. So it looks like all I need from here are 1" bearings and spacers for the wheel, a 1" axle, the newer swing arm pivot bolt and nut, and the bushings that come with that. I guess OEM is okay, unless I REALLY want the Sta-Bo Delrins. And if I can drill the tranny out, I guess I can drill the caliper out too. But I get to save some money and keep the rear wheel.

Did I get all of that right?

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2008, 12:27:15 AM »

B B

That'd be my strong preference too Brian.  Rather have the bigger shaft when using it only requires such a small effort.  Only taking .125" out and there's plenty of meat there.  Do it in steps to the .750" shaft size then hone for clearance.  Nothing tricky there at all.  And the wheel is just swapping the guts.  Hell, even mental deficients like us could do this :2vrolijk_21: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2008, 12:29:21 AM »

Spidey,

Thanks. So it looks like all I need from here are 1" bearings and spacers for the wheel, a 1" axle, the newer swing arm pivot bolt and nut, and the bushings that come with that. I guess OEM is okay, unless I REALLY want the Sta-Bo Delrins. And if I can drill the tranny out, I guess I can drill the caliper out too. But I get to save some money and keep the rear wheel.

Did I get all of that right?

Mark

By George, I think he's got it!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.