Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 72

Author Topic: Gas price!!!!!!!! OUCH.  (Read 65443 times)

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Gas price!!!!!!!! OUCH.
« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2008, 02:36:28 PM »

As gas moves toward $5/gl, the price point we are happy with moves upward.  A few years ago, we griped about $1 a gallon for premium.  Now we would be happy as heck with $2 for premium.  Consumers have a way of adjusting cost expectations, and marketers know it & take advantage of it.

If we were to stop buying gas/diesel except for ABSOLUTE necessities, the price would fall. Nobody much doing that - yet.

Right you are ISKI.  I am doing my part to help lower the price of diesel.  My truck has been parked in the garage - probably hasn't been driven 1K miles in the past six months.  Been driving the car since it gets 30 mpg and riding the bike as much as I can.

Will be pulling the 37ft (14K lbs) toyhauler Thursday on a short trip.  THAT's GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE!

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2008, 03:07:22 PM »

I guess we can all hope that the Barnett Shale in Texas and the new found assement of the Bakken Formation will help us out on gas prices in the near future. I feel we are going to see 150 dollar a barrel oil by years end. I just hope our lifting cost per barrel can be held down, and the good ol EPA backs off a little on refinery specs  :nixweiss:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2008, 03:10:35 PM »

Right you are ISKI.  I am doing my part to help lower the price of diesel.  My truck has been parked in the garage - probably hasn't been driven 1K miles in the past six months.  Been driving the car since it gets 30 mpg and riding the bike as much as I can.

Will be pulling the 37ft (14K lbs) toyhauler Thursday on a short trip.  THAT's GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE!

Know several who have RV's parked instead of rolling for their spring trips.  Do the same as you - ride the bike as much as possible - it's more fun anyway.

Every gas station here in the Bug Infested Jungle State seems to have cars/trucks/rv's/boats lined up to buy gas most of the time.  Constantly - even large stations with 20 pumps.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »

Know several who have RV's parked instead of rolling for their spring trips.  Do the same as you - ride the bike as much as possible - it's more fun anyway.

Every gas station here in the Bug Infested Jungle State seems to have cars/trucks/rv's/boats lined up to buy gas most of the time.  Constantly - even large stations with 20 pumps.

:nixweiss:   

I sure would hate to be in RV or boat sales right now.  People that have RV's & boats are probably going to use them since they already have them, but it might be hard to sell the new ones.

I have actually thought about selling my truck and 5th wheel toyhauler.  Not sure it makes much sense for me to own it and only use it 4 or 5 times a year.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2008, 03:28:12 PM »

I wouldn't be using an RV or boat if I had them.  I'd trade both for a sail boat.  My buddy has a 33ft cutter with a 22HP diesel he fills once a season.  He brings food and beer every friday and stays on it the whole weekend.  From his mooring in the 1,000 Isles, he can get nearly anywhere in the world.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2008, 03:33:34 PM »

:nixweiss:   

I sure would hate to be in RV or boat sales right now.  People that have RV's & boats are probably going to use them since they already have them, but it might be hard to sell the new ones.

I have actually thought about selling my truck and 5th wheel toyhauler.  Not sure it makes much sense for me to own it and only use it 4 or 5 times a year.

Camped a lot when younger & when early married.  Kids went too.  Now the BSR says hotel/motel/condo is as close to camping as she will get. maybe a nice cabin in a park sometimes, too.

I cannot cost justify the expense of fuel in an RV when I compare it to the average hotel/motel rate & get there by bike @ 35-40 mpg or better.

Was looking at toy haulers a year or so ago - when retired it might make sense for me.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #186 on: April 21, 2008, 03:42:15 PM »

Camped a lot when younger & when early married.  Kids went too.  Now the BSR says hotel/motel/condo is as close to camping as she will get. maybe a nice cabin in a park sometimes, too.

I cannot cost justify the expense of fuel in an RV when I compare it to the average hotel/motel rate & get there by bike @ 35-40 mpg or better.

Was looking at toy haulers a year or so ago - when retired it might make sense for me.

We enjoy the toyhauler.  It's nice to take it to the rallies we go to....."home away from home".  We like having our own shower, king size bed, and A/C.  We also like to take trips to areas where we like to ride and park in a RV park and then take day-trips on the bike using the RV as our home-base camp.  Just probably won't take as many trips now :-\

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #187 on: April 21, 2008, 06:21:04 PM »

If it goes any higher, I'm quitting my job, pretending I don't speak English and getting everything free :soapbox:

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #188 on: April 21, 2008, 07:06:50 PM »

If it goes any higher, I'm quitting my job, pretending I don't speak English and getting everything free :soapbox:

i bet the local in socal would say you dont speak english with that Maine accent
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #189 on: April 21, 2008, 07:37:03 PM »

Hola el Sr. Spiderman, es usted aquí recoger su cheque del bienestar hoy. Hacele quiere una tarjeta libre de seguro de enfermedad también.

Thats the premium talk, that aint border spinglish man hehehehe

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2008, 08:15:28 PM »

i bet the local in socal would say you dont speak english with that Maine accent

yeah and you should see the looks when I speak Canuck

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #191 on: April 21, 2008, 08:54:20 PM »

We enjoy the toyhauler.  It's nice to take it to the rallies we go to....."home away from home".  We like having our own shower, king size bed, and A/C.  We also like to take trips to areas where we like to ride and park in a RV park and then take day-trips on the bike using the RV as our home-base camp.  Just probably won't take as many trips now :-\

Toy hauler seems to me the best way to go.  Will consider one later on maybe but if Mama is not in favor of one, ain't too damn likely.  She spent too many weekends & vacations in a Winnebago on the side of lakes cleaning fish when she was a kid as best I can tell.  Burned out on RVing at an early age, so we tent camped when we married & now motel "camp".

Lots & lots of great parks in your area - hope you get to use yours as much as you can.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #192 on: April 21, 2008, 09:02:02 PM »

Toy hauler seems to me the best way to go.  Will consider one later on maybe but if Mama is not in favor of one, ain't too damn likely.  She spent too many weekends & vacations in a Winnebago on the side of lakes cleaning fish when she was a kid as best I can tell.  Burned out on RVing at an early age, so we tent camped when we married & now motel "camp".

Lots & lots of great parks in your area - hope you get to use yours as much as you can.
Iski,
My wife was brought up the same way, minus the cleaning the fish stuff, and was totally against any sort of trailering.  Then when the story about bed-bugs being disovered in hotel/motels, she decided that she'd rather be in a "controlled" envirionment, that she has the control over.  We bought a 36ft toy hauler, and it's been no looking back.  She loves it and can't wait until we can take it out.  We're going to Pigeon Forge next month, I know it will cost us a small fortune in Diesel, but having your own place to call home on the road is more than worth it.  I wouldn't give it up for the world.  We may take less trips this year because of fuel costs, but we'll still go...and there are plenty of sites closer to us too, so that will always be an option.  It's different when it's your wife's trailer and not her parents...trust me I know from what I'm speaking.  ;)

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #193 on: April 21, 2008, 09:09:37 PM »

Iski,
My wife was brought up the same way, minus the cleaning the fish stuff, and was totally against any sort of trailering.  Then when the story about bed-bugs being disovered in hotel/motels, she decided that she'd rather be in a "controlled" envirionment, that she has the control over.  We bought a 36ft toy hauler, and it's been no looking back.  She loves it and can't wait until we can take it out.  We're going to Pigeon Forge next month, I know it will cost us a small fortune in Diesel, but having your own place to call home on the road is more than worth it.  I wouldn't give it up for the world.  We may take less trips this year because of fuel costs, but we'll still go...and there are plenty of sites closer to us too, so that will always be an option.  It's different when it's your wife's trailer and not her parents...trust me I know from what I'm speaking.  ;)

We have RV'd with friends several times RD & she just isn't into it, like the young whippersnappers say.  Been to some very beautiful RV settings too - Warm Springs Georgia State Park one evening that was just too beautiful for words.

She isn't fond of cooking when on vacation & she likes room service.  I know, I spoiled her, but she has to put up with me so not sure who's really ahead in that deal.   :nixweiss:

Most of our fun involves gasoline - bikes, cars, boat, etc.  So I am not one to preach about petroleum abstinence.  But it sounds good.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #194 on: April 21, 2008, 09:15:55 PM »

We have RV'd with friends several times RD & she just isn't into it, like the young whippersnappers say.  Been to some very beautiful RV settings too - Warm Springs Georgia State Park one evening that was just too beautiful for words.

She isn't fond of cooking when on vacation & she likes room service.  I know, I spoiled her, but she has to put up with me so not sure who's really ahead in that deal.   :nixweiss:

Most of our fun involves gasoline - bikes, cars, boat, etc.  So I am not one to preach about petroleum abstinence.  But it sounds good.

Understand Iski...it's not for everyone...I never thought my wife would get into it the way she did, but I guess now that she's the "queen" of the trailer, she loves it.  It's her home away from home and with no hassles and stress about work.  I've never seen her happier than when we're out in the toyhauler....and I got a pretty good deal with her when we go to Pigeon Forge....I promised her one day in Dollywood if we spent two days on the SEUC in the mountains.  She agreed to that, making me think I got the better deal, but in actuality, she probably would have went with three days riding in the mountains...she loves being my BSR.  Oh well, we get to ride, that's all I care, besides maybe if I'm lucky, Dolly will be there and can see if them thar hills are real or not.   :P ::)

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 72

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.