Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: blown headgasket  (Read 13669 times)

bdas2

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
blown headgasket
« on: April 12, 2008, 12:37:34 AM »

Whats the easiest way to tell if you have a blown head gasket?  It seems I have fumes coming right up in front of me and I here a ticking noise.  I though I'd check to see whats going on. Any ideas?

vagabond6542

Re: blown headgasket
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 12:49:47 AM »

Whats the easiest way to tell if you have a blown head gasket?  It seems I have fumes coming right up in front of me and I here a ticking noise.  I though I'd check to see whats going on. Any ideas?

What year is the bike? The 2007's and the 2008's have been creating a history with blown head gaskets.
You can do a search of this forum and find countless posts on your question.
The quickest way to find a blown head gasket is to look for oil leaks from the heads.
The ticking noise could be the rocker boxes need to be cleared. Hope this helps.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 08:16:31 AM »

The symptom you're looking for is oil leaking from between the head and the cylinder. This is the line just under where the exhaust pipe leaves the head. If you look at the area right under the exhaust pipe, you can see the edge of the gasket. If it is leaking there, you'll be able to see the oil. In some advanced cases, the oil will be leaking enough for the oil to actually run out across the fins of the cylinder and drip, normally onto the top of the transmission.

The other area you can look at is the base of the cylinder, where it meets the case. You can experience oil seeping out from under the cylinder and down onto the side of the crankcase.

The ticking you hear is either normal valve train noise or it could be the edge of the valve spring retainers hitting the side of the rocker box. This was a common problem with the 07's and some of the 08's.

Good luck,

:indian_chief:

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 08:53:41 AM »

You either have a blown head gasket or a bad exhaust gasket. You need to look very closely. If you have a compression tester or a leak down tester you will know for sure.

Hope this helps.

OH and BTW it really doesn't matter what year bike or model you own. It can happen on any and all. One word of advice. LET THE MOTOR WARM UP BEFORE CRACKING THE THROTTLE!!!!! The cylinders and heads need to expand to tighten everything up. If I remember correctly the cylinder/head assy expands .125 thous. when fully warmed up

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 10:06:48 AM »

...OH and BTW it really doesn't matter what year bike or model you own. It can happen on any and all. One word of advice. LET THE MOTOR WARM UP BEFORE CRACKING THE THROTTLE!!!!! The cylinders and heads need to expand to tighten everything up. If I remember correctly the cylinder/head assy expands .125 thous. when fully warmed up
Thanks for the reminder.  :coolblue: :cherry:

bdas2

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 10:48:52 AM »

yes the bike is an 07 that were talking about.  thanks for the info I will look close to see whats going on

thanks

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 11:27:55 AM »

yes the bike is an 07 that were talking about.  thanks for the info I will look close to see whats going on

thanks

My first post was made because you mentioned a head gasket problem, not because of the symptoms you mentioned. DC Fireman's post is a more accurate diagnosis than mine.

When you say you hear a ticking, are you talking about a mechanical ticking like metal pieces hitting together or could it be an exhaust leak from a bad exhaust gasket? If it's the latter and you say you're smelling fumes, then I would say DC's on the money with a bad exhaust gasket. If it's a metal to metal contact then you may be experiencing the valve spring contacting the rocker box so many of us 07 owners experienced.

Since the bike is still in warranty, I'd definitely take it by the dealer to see if they can narrow down the problem for you.

:indian_chief:

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 11:51:03 AM »

You either have a blown head gasket or a bad exhaust gasket. You need to look very closely. If you have a compression tester or a leak down tester you will know for sure.

Hope this helps.

OH and BTW it really doesn't matter what year bike or model you own. It can happen on any and all. One word of advice. LET THE MOTOR WARM UP BEFORE CRACKING THE THROTTLE!!!!! The cylinders and heads need to expand to tighten everything up. If I remember correctly the cylinder/head assy expands .125 thous. when fully warmed up

Be Safe

THE DAWG

I like to be able to feel the warmth on the back of my hand about 1 inch form the cyl before I open the throttle or ride.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 09:23:24 PM »

I took my stock mufflers off on my 08 SERK and removed the baffles. I then cut off the catalytic converter and repacked the screen around the baffles, then replaced them on the bike.
If you are smelling gas fumes, try putting your other pipes on and see if it helps with how your bike is running.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

bdas2

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 11:56:30 AM »

this is not the bike I did this to
I took my stock mufflers off on my 08 SERK and removed the baffles. I then cut off the catalytic converter and repacked the screen around the baffles, then replaced them on the bike.

This is an 07 ultra  the other one runs fine.....I did check and there is no signs of a blown head gasket......so now I will check flange gasket

thanks

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 02:44:36 PM »

I like to be able to feel the warmth on the back of my hand about 1 inch form the cyl before I open the throttle or ride.

OLDWRENCH I actually like to touch the top of the rocker box on the rear cylinder. If it is warm then it is usually OK. I like your idea though.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 02:48:53 PM »

OLDWRENCH I actually like to touch the top of the rocker box on the rear cylinder. If it is warm then it is usually OK. I like your idea though.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

WHAT touch the top of my rocker box and get a finger print on my chrome  :nervous: ha that works too just funnin ya  :2vrolijk_21:

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »

Don't forget to look at the area where the cylinders meet the cases.
Mines was leaking nicely from there for the second repair of
Head Gaskets and then them.  I bet they didn't replace them during
the first set of head gaskets and hence the leak 3K miles later.
GooD Luck,
TimBone

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 12:28:04 PM »

Don't forget to look at the area where the cylinders meet the cases.
Mines was leaking nicely from there for the second repair of
Head Gaskets and then them.  I bet they didn't replace them during
the first set of head gaskets and hence the leak 3K miles later.
GooD Luck,
TimBone

If they replaced the head gaskets w/o pulling the cylinders then yes, the oil is still in the stud holes and its going to seep out even if the new head gaskets are holding up.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.