Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Love Hate Relationship with My '08 Springer. Help!!!  (Read 5437 times)

drogers

• Full CVO Member
Love Hate Relationship with My '08 Springer. Help!!!
« on: April 20, 2008, 04:25:35 PM »

I'm 51 years old,been ridding all of my life and this is my first Harley.This bike looks freaking awesome and I love everything about it except one thing.I can not get used to the forward controls to save my life.Not the operation,but my inner thighs are killing me in 20 minutes. You have to hold your legs together as opposed to relaxing them with mid or rear set pegs.Yes your legs are stretched  out and that is fine on the knees,but if you relax,your legs open up and at speed it's even worse cause they get ripped apart by the wind.

I am not a bar hopper.I like to ride the open road.Around town it's fine because you rest at stop lights,on the road I can't take it.I have installed extended forward controls,after market pegs,heel rests,and I still can't get comfortable.If I put my heels on the pegs that helps a lot because I can now relax,but my right thigh burns up on the motor.Going to try a tall seat to get me away from the motor and a little bit better angle to the pegs.I spend most of the time with my heels on the passenger pegs.This is by far the most comfortable position,and the only way I can ride for extended periods.Yes,my buddies tease me,but it's the ONLY choice I have.

Is anyone else having this problem???

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Love Hate Relationship with My '08 Springer. Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 04:55:53 PM »

I had that problem and I installed a Lindby Linbar engine guard and HD Centerline highway pegs. This gives me several riding positions for my feet and I have not had any more problems with burning thigh muscles. I can't imagine riding with my feet on the passenger pegs - I am not that flexible anymore and I would probably give myself a muscle cramp attempting to ride in that position...in fact, I thyink I just gave myself a cramp thinking about riding in that position! Since you installed the extended forward controls, you probably won't be able to install an engine guard unless you revert to the stock controls. The other major modification that i performed was to replace the handlebars with Wild1 WO510 Chubby Springer handlebar with Wild1 WO531 Chubby Pullback Springer risers. The combination of these two modifications made a huge difference in riding comfort.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 11:19:14 PM »

It might have something to do with body shape/size? I'm average build, 6'1", 32" inseam, and I don't notice a problem. I've ridden up to 3 hrs at a time with no thigh fatigue or heat.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:22:46 AM »

I'm 51 years old,been ridding all of my life and this is my first Harley.This bike looks freaking awesome and I love everything about it except one thing.I can not get used to the forward controls to save my life.Not the operation,but my inner thighs are killing me in 20 minutes. You have to hold your legs together as opposed to relaxing them with mid or rear set pegs.Yes your legs are stretched out and that is fine on the knees,but if you relax,your legs open up and at speed it's even worse cause they get ripped apart by the wind.

I am not a bar hopper.I like to ride the open road.Around town it's fine because you rest at stop lights,on the road I can't take it.I have installed extended forward controls,after market pegs,heel rests,and I still can't get comfortable.If I put my heels on the pegs that helps a lot because I can now relax,but my right thigh burns up on the motor.Going to try a tall seat to get me away from the motor and a little bit better angle to the pegs.I spend most of the time with my heels on the passenger pegs.This is by far the most comfortable position,and the only way I can ride for extended periods.Yes,my buddies tease me,but it's the ONLY choice I have.

I think if you add heel support pegs you'll find the bike totally different.  Wit the heel support you don't have to "hold" your leg position as you describe.  I have them on the DWG3 and they work great for the forward controls.

Just remember to put a foot down at stops.  The first time I rolled up to a stop sign with them I nearly forgot to put my foot down. ::)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 12:36:06 AM »

Just remember to put a foot down at stops.  The first time I rolled up to a stop sign with them I nearly forgot to put my foot down. ::)
Hey Rog......You mean 'comfortable' riders make that mistake?  I thought it was only the 'mentally numbed' riders that erred in that manner.  :oops: har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 01:21:08 AM »

It might have something to do with body shape/size? I'm average build, 6'1", 32" inseam, and I don't notice a problem. I've ridden up to 3 hrs at a time with no thigh fatigue or heat.

Your the same as me.Hell,I spend 2 hrs a day at the gym,and I can't take more than 20 minutes at a time.Don't want to have to strain holding my legs together.Putting my heels on the pegs solves that problem,but puts my thigh directly on the motor! >:(

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 01:22:39 AM »

Oh,and as I stated,I have heel rests.That's nice,but doesn't have anything to do with my problem.

cvo_rider

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 08:43:04 AM »

I just put the Wild1 Mini Apes on mine and feels like a different bike, great now for long trips.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 03:26:37 PM »

Haha - funny topic. I have the same issue on my SED. I've found the best thing is to put my heels on the peg an that helps a little. When my thighs start burning, I'll flip down the rear pegs, and hook my heels on them like I'm riding a ricer to move things around a bit. Obviously, it was tough with the stock exhaust but with the BR is works fine and helps alot, provided I don't have a passenger.

Like they say, nice bar hopper, but after a couple hundred miles, I can't barely stand.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 04:50:59 PM »

:) I'm glad I'm not the only one using the rear pegs for relief.

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 07:54:32 PM »

I'm 51 years old,been ridding all of my life and this is my first Harley.This bike looks freaking awesome and I love everything about it except one thing.I can not get used to the forward controls to save my life.Not the operation,but my inner thighs are killing me in 20 minutes. You have to hold your legs together as opposed to relaxing them with mid or rear set pegs.Yes your legs are stretched  out and that is fine on the knees,but if you relax,your legs open up and at speed it's even worse cause they get ripped apart by the wind.

I have had good luck changing the angle of the peg, this kicks your legs in natural and it doesnt feel like your having to hold them there. There is different ways to do it, you can pull the peg, drill and tap the stop for a 1/4 set screw that you can adjust or you can drill the peg support on the bike. I can go into more detail if you would like for me too. It doesnt take to much for an angle change around .060 of a inch. You can see in the pic I put the back of a razor in and it changed it pretty good.

I have also ran a bolt through the peg pin hole and locked it down with a nut for a ground point, set the torch on a straight acetylene flame to where its smoking black and do a quick soot out of the chrome wrap a wet rag around the rest of it, this will keep the welders eggs (arc splatter) from sticking to the chorme, using a mig run a small bead on the back side of the stop and file a flat until you reach the angle you want.

You can cut some shim stock and bend it in a 90 drop it in from the top, this wont last but it will let you know it the others will work before you got to the trouble of doing one of them. Hope this may help, if you have any questions just let me know.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 01:09:20 AM »

I really like that set screw idea! the problem with the SED, is the Aileron pegs actually arc down and out, so if you really try to layout and hand your boot over the peg, it starts sliding out pretty quickly. This might help this as well. Good idea!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 10:51:12 AM »

dont worry about putting ur feet on the rear pegs, i do it aswell on a long days ride, somtimes just 1foot sometimes both, whatever feels comfortable!

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 11:24:33 AM »

Isn´t there an option on this bike to put floor boards? Not that it will look great on this sports type machine, but it will surely solve your problems having your feet properly resting on a big surface.

I had a much worse condition on my VTX-1800C; I ended up selling the bike because my legs after 100 miles or so went numb and was just hoping they wouldn´t slip-off from the pegs; that would have been a disaster  :-X :oops:
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

blowncobra

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Blue
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Street Glide Orange Lava
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 08:31:54 AM »

Arlen Ness 3 inch control extensions will cure that problem 3 forward about 3/4 inch out
THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS A DRINK
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.