Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Another 110 in the series of leakers  (Read 13675 times)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: Another 110 in the series of leakers
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 02:38:15 PM »

Mike, I just caught this thread.  Man, I'm sorry for you.  We're dropping like flies here.  I just went out and checked mine again.  Still dry after 6,400 miles.  I feel like it's just a matter of time but I won't let it keep me off the road.  I've got confidence that HD will do what's right even if these failures happen out of warranty which is fast approaching us that didn't get the extended warranty.  If they don't stand behind these failures does anyone know a producer at 20/20 or 60 minutes?
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 02:39:18 PM »

Generally the front cylinder runs hotter. With the marvels in fuel injection management you could throw more fuel up front and then it could run cooler. Most of the time if you do nothing and they run the same fuel/timing wise your front would be hotter.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Yes, but the lack of air flow - cooling - on the back jug appears to be a major culprit.  Not so many front failures as rear.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 02:47:27 PM »

Mike, I just caught this thread.  Man, I'm sorry for you.  We're dropping like flies here.  I just went out and checked mine again.  Still dry after 6,400 miles.  I feel like it's just a matter of time but I won't let it keep me off the road.  I've got confidence that HD will do what's right even if these failures happen out of warranty which is fast approaching us that didn't get the extended warranty.  If they don't stand behind these failures does anyone know a producer at 20/20 or 60 minutes?

Thanks George.  Hope springs eternal & on this I remain optimistic - otherwise it would have been sold already.  They run great when they run & I sincerely hope yours stays dry.  Best to go ahead & ride it.  At some point it does reach a critical mass & the MoCo does NOT want bad publicity.  Would be too easy to get a few dozen folks, same EXACT problem together, & vent for a larger audience, if they were not responsive.   If the 96's started failing in these numbers - percentagewise, they would have a full blown disaster on their hands.

It's like the old recession/depression analogy.  Recession when it's a friend or neighbor, depression when it's me.  A friend just sent me advice on drinking tequila, and in the past that has worked very well  excellently  ok I suppose but I do not remember why.  :drink:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 02:49:52 PM »

Howie, I'm going to give them a shot at fixing this.  Do I expect, 100%, that this will be permanently fixed?  No, because I have read enough to not be naive.  But if I go a completely different route, first time in for service, it just doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.  If it continues, multiple times, and it is obvious the MoCo cannot fix it, then another power plant becomes an option.  At this point, I am just considering head gaskets & possibly cylinders depending on how it looks when it's taken down.

Understand you have been there, done that, and taken a new course.  May be the one I am on as well & just do not know it yet.  Will wait & see what happens - damn glad I kept the reliable 02 RK with it's little 88.

I wish you a lotta luck Mike, and hope your dealer is capable of dealing with it. Any dealer taking the Co line, will only fix it the MoCo way. A wrench willing to think outside of HD's box is the only hope for this under-engineered, poorly designed, and horrible QC engines.

BTW, hundreds of 110 engines here, many more than once, should have you see that it's not a "first time in for service" issue. It's just your turn now! ;)

I hope it all works out for ya Mike! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »

I wish you a lotta luck Mike, and hope your dealer is capable of dealing with it. Any dealer taking the Co line, will only fix it the MoCo way. A wrench willing to think outside of HD's box is the only hope for this under-engineered, poorly designed, and horrible QC engines.

BTW, hundreds of 110 engines here, many more than once, should have you see that it's not a "first time in for service" issue. It's just your turn now! ;)

I hope it all works out for ya Mike! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Appreciate the good words Howie.  Actually, I am thinking ahead on this one.  Best to document, identify, & make sure the problem by VIN is registered by HD, IMHO.  What that may or may not get me is anyone's guess, but past experience with motor vehicles of mine that had problems are the template I am following - so far. 

If I go a different route eventually, it will be to another engine, since fixing this one appears to be as expensive as a new one. 

Agreed on the dealer fixing it the way the MoCo says - that is what I expect when I take it in to a dealer.  Glad yours is running great now!

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »

Sorry to hear about your trouble with your motor and the MoCo. Are we sure there are 110's that have never had a problem? Do they just sit in the garage? Who has a scoot with a 110 that has 15000 miles on her w/o a problem? I hope someone does!

JW

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »

Sorry to hear about your trouble with your motor and the MoCo. Are we sure there are 110's that have never had a problem? Do they just sit in the garage? Who has a scoot with a 110 that has 15000 miles on her w/o a problem? I hope someone does!

JW

You don't have to look too far. Iski's went 17,000 and he's got the original, read pre 07A, gaskets.

:indian_chief:

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2008, 07:17:29 PM »

Chuck, Missed that as I was trying to catch up on all the post I've missed lately. Billy posted he is at 11000 with no problems also. I'm glad to see 110's that are trouble free. May they remain so.

JW

weamdog

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4
    • Virtual Garage
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2008, 07:41:03 PM »

what a great forum.  I really feel for you guys, and i do owe you one.  I was seriously considering buying an '08 screamin' eagle ultra classic until i started reading about them.  funny thing about it is the bike i was looking at had smeared oil on the chrome cover on top of the transmission.  not a very good sign, maybe i'll stop back tomorrow to see how many miles this "new" bike has on it.  this is one of the nicest looking "factory" bikes i've ever seen, but i'm not going to fork out $35k for something that is going to be in the shop several times a year with no end in sight.  i hope they get you guys fixed up soon.
'00 FLSTS
'09 FLHTCUSE4 (Autumn Haze/Octane Orange)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2008, 08:33:12 PM »

Chuck, Missed that as I was trying to catch up on all the post I've missed lately. Billy posted he is at 11000 with no problems also. I'm glad to see 110's that are trouble free. May they remain so.

JW

Wonder if anyone has gone to 20 or 25,000 miles with no leaks on a 110?  Do not recall one. 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2008, 08:40:33 PM »

You don't have to look too far. Iski's went 17,000 and he's got the original, read pre 07A, gaskets.

:indian_chief:

Locally mine appears to be the most miles with no leaks so far.  No idea why.  I kept it under 3 grand during the break in after the initial 50 miles.  Added heat shields at about 500 miles (they appear to help in cooling the back jug due to directed air flow but who knows?). Race tuned, stage 1, & dyno at 1,000 miles to cool it off.  Pretty standard stuff.

Bike has as many interstate highway miles at 70 plus as it does 2 lane roads at 60 or less.  Would be nice to know why some fail early & some do not.

Head gaskets due in by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.  Interested to evaluate any cylinder movement that may have occurred.

weamdog

• Junior CVO Member

• Virtual Garage
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 03:17:27 PM »

Went back the the dealer to look at this new bike again today, now that I know a little more about it.  That was oil on the chrome trans cover along with a puddle in between the jugs that I had failed to notice before.  So here is a bike with about a dozen miles on it that is leaking.  I pointed this out the salesman who was obviously not very knowledgeable on the subject and I pretty much left him speechless.  When one of the managers came by i pointed it out and he told the salesman to get tell the mechanics and get it off the floor.  The manager seemed a little more knowledgeable on the subject and even told me that one guy seized his motor up and wouldn't take the bike back unless the put a new motor in which he got.  of course no sooner did he get it home the gasket started leaking.  They fixed the leak and he hasn't been back for a year now.  Before I went back the dealer to look at the bike i stopped in zippers and they told me they would soon have their injection system done for the '08's and that the bike would run much cooler which I'm under the impression is the root of the problem (no thanks to the EPA).  Has anybody else besides iski had better luck by lowering the temperatures with tunes and exhaust?
'00 FLSTS

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 03:21:38 PM »

Went back the the dealer to look at this new bike again today, now that I know a little more about it.  That was oil on the chrome trans cover along with a puddle in between the jugs that I had failed to notice before.  So here is a bike with about a dozen miles on it that is leaking.  I pointed this out the salesman who was obviously not very knowledgeable on the subject and I pretty much left him speechless.  When one of the managers came by i pointed it out and he told the salesman to get tell the mechanics and get it off the floor.  The manager seemed a little more knowledgeable on the subject and even told me that one guy seized his motor up and wouldn't take the bike back unless the put a new motor in which he got.  of course no sooner did he get it home the gasket started leaking.  They fixed the leak and he hasn't been back for a year now.  Before I went back the dealer to look at the bike i stopped in zippers and they told me they would soon have their injection system done for the '08's and that the bike would run much cooler which I'm under the impression is the root of the problem (no thanks to the EPA).  Has anybody else besides iski had better luck by lowering the temperatures with tunes and exhaust?

That a buncha BS wd! While lower temps might help, nothing can fix poorly designed components except better quality components and engineering. Until HD publicly admits a problem, and annouces a permanent solution, you can rest assured that this will continue to happen regardless of what you try doing to it externally! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

weamdog

• Junior CVO Member

• Virtual Garage
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 04:02:06 PM »

That a buncha BS wd! While lower temps might help, nothing can fix poorly designed components except better quality components and engineering. Until HD publicly admits a problem, and annouces a permanent solution, you can rest assured that this will continue to happen regardless of what you try doing to it externally! ;)

Hoist! 8)

I agree completely with you.  I'd much rather them fix the problem permanently then to be spending money out of my pocket to prolong the inevitable. I'm just looking to get a few more days of riding in between dealer visits and if this will be a waste of money to achieve this goal then I'll spend my $$ elsewhere.  I just happened to call customer service and asked them what the status was and they said the problem has been fixed (new gasket and they didn't have the part number handy) and that the internet has bogus information which goes along with what everybody says here, they won't admit the problem.  Now why would people who love their bikes regardless of an oil leak want to spread rumors on the internet?  So I told them about this brand new bike leaking oil on the showroom floor and now they want to call the dealer up and chew them a new one for something that isn't their fault.  Now I'm going to have to call the dealer up and apologize for this call they are going to get. Oh well, guess i won't be going into that dealer anytime soon and I won't be giving HD $35k of my hard earned money.
'00 FLSTS

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 04:07:46 PM »

I agree completely with you.  I'd much rather them fix the problem permanently then to be spending money out of my pocket to prolong the inevitable. I'm just looking to get a few more days of riding in between dealer visits and if this will be a waste of money to achieve this goal then I'll spend my $$ elsewhere.  I just happened to call customer service and asked them what the status was and they said the problem has been fixed (new gasket and they didn't have the part number handy) and that the internet has bogus information which goes along with what everybody says here, they won't admit the problem.  Now why would people who love their bikes regardless of an oil leak want to spread rumors on the internet?  So I told them about this brand new bike leaking oil on the showroom floor and now they want to call the dealer up and chew them a new one for something that isn't their fault.  Now I'm going to have to call the dealer up and apologize for this call they are going to get. Oh well, guess i won't be going into that dealer anytime soon and I won't be giving HD $35k of my hard earned money.

You hit the nail on the head. I'd have loved nothing more than to have left the motor alone for awhile knowing it's a good reliable factory built motor. And I'd have shouted from the rooftops how great the bike is with that motor. If they gave me a motor like that to do it with that is! I could have kept my 2-yr w.....ty, and saved myself 8500 bucks in the process. Like I set out on this path! ::)

HD is tattooed on my arm. I bleed Orange and Black. Let them have the balls to tell me to my face that I'm spreading rumors about this! Willie G would never get up again after I got thru with him if they ever tried to tell me I'm FOS about the problems I've had with this 110 POS!!! They give us a plie of dog chit, and then insult us like idiots making it seem like it's our fault!!! FTF & FTW!!!!! >:(

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 24 queries.