Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Author Topic: Another 110 in the series of leakers  (Read 13764 times)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: Another 110 in the series of leakers
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2008, 08:37:49 PM »

I would think that they would have a "good will" or "policy adjustment" if they failed Jim  after the 2 year warranty period.   You shouldn't have to buy an extended warranty for a known problem.

Exactly what my hope is.  Am I married to Pollyanna and reside in Shangri-la while taking Valium?  I think not.  It's just the right thing to do.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

fxdsebeloved

• Full CVO Member
  • Four Wheels Move The Body Two Wheels Move The Soul

• CVO1: (Beloved) 2007 FXDSE Silver Rush/Midnight Black
    • alcohaulinasss
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »

I asked my dealer about doing a break-in on the gaskets and they said it wasn't necessary.  That's only for a new engine.  Hope they knew what they were talking about, cuz I rode it normal and didn't worry about doing break-in mileage on it.

They told me the same thing (little voice in head told me differant) Rode it like the break period.  Then I change the oil after 500 miles, then "rode it like I stole it" so far so good

So much for the piece of mind after the fix, I look on top of the trans to see if it's leaking after every ride..WTF
Member # 1786
If you live in the past
You will have no future

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2008, 07:46:15 AM »

I asked my dealer about doing a break-in on the gaskets and they said it wasn't necessary.  That's only for a new engine.  Hope they knew what they were talking about, cuz I rode it normal and didn't worry about doing break-in mileage on it. :(

:devil:

Decided to take it easy on the new cylinders & yeah it's mainly just seating the rings. 

After initial heat cycling (gotta do that) "breakin" can be as subjective as the type of oil, the "best" way to wash/wax a bike, tire/seat selection, etc.  Some go by the book, others ride 'em hard & put 'em up wet. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2008, 07:53:20 AM »

I hope it works Mike.  You can be sure the 110s were the topic of a lot of discussions this weekend and I learned a lot.  My only fear is that I have NOT developed a leak before the end of the 2 yr factory warranty.  What do I do then?  Buy a $1,700 insurance policy for something that should be TSB'ed in perpetuity?  I've got an optimistic side that tells me that HD will cover out of warranty head gasket leaks on the 110.  Hey, I can dream can't I?

Jim - I went through the same scenario - what if my bike does not leak until a month (or a year or later?) out of warranty? Heard crank run out would be considered long term now by the MoCo - they would fix that due to wear & tear not causing it.  An inherent design flaw.  Same deal on the cylinders/head gaskets one could assume, but who really knows?  The MoCo has no "Official" position on this & until (or if?) they do, we are left to deal with this dealer by dealer, case by case, with customer service in Milwaukee as needed.  Those of us with good dealers may well fair better than those who are not as fortunate.

Have not read the GTG thread for York - need to catch up.  Hope all had a great time!

Still real curious about the rumored "fix 60 days from now" & whatinthehellthatwouldbe?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2008, 12:00:07 PM »

Update:

2,300 miles since the leak was fixed - gaskets & cylinders - so far all ok.

Took a 2 up trip fully loaded to the Outer Banks & back last week - 1,900 miles.  Lots of 70 mph+ riding & no babying the bike.  Myrtle Beach was full of traffic so the motor got pretty warm sitting in traffic as well prior to the ride home.  So far so good & frankly I quit worrying about it.  Better to ride & enjoy than worry about chit IMHO.

Have a Memorial Day trip planned & a Smokey mountain run in June also.  About 2.5-3k combined miles for those 2.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2008, 12:45:29 PM »

Update:

2,300 miles since the leak was fixed - gaskets & cylinders - so far all ok.

Took a 2 up trip fully loaded to the Outer Banks & back last week - 1,900 miles.  Lots of 70 mph+ riding & no babying the bike.  Myrtle Beach was full of traffic so the motor got pretty warm sitting in traffic as well prior to the ride home.  So far so good & frankly I quit worrying about it.  Better to ride & enjoy than worry about chit IMHO.

Have a Memorial Day trip planned & a Smokey mountain run in June also.  About 2.5-3k combined miles for those 2.

Mike,

That's a great update. Hopefully you won't have a need to file any more, if you know what I mean.

:indian_chief:

TNThumper

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anny #1258/1800
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2008, 06:38:43 PM »

Where is Hoist when you need him?    :soapbox:

VG

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2008, 06:42:04 PM »

VG

Who said we need HIM?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »

VG

Who said we need HIM?

What do ya'll need me for, is right! After all, these guys just got the magical HD fix for the 110's! Which is doing the same thing over and over the same way and expecting different results. It's either magic or INSANITY!!! Prolly the latter though!!! 8) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2008, 06:48:06 PM »

What do ya'll need me for, is right! After all, these guys just got the magical HD fix for the 110's! Which is doing the same thing over and over the same way and expecting different results. It's either magic or INSANITY!!! Prolly the latter though!!! 8) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

We'll see. I expect to hear something pretty soon. Since I'll be gone, y'all will prolly be talking about it before I get back. At least I hope you are. Maybe UltraFXR will find out more. I'll see Don Tilley on the ride. Maybe he knows something. :nixweiss:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2008, 06:50:18 PM »

We'll see. I expect to hear something pretty soon. Since I'll be gone, y'all will prolly be talking about it before I get back. At least I hope you are. Maybe UltraFXR will find out more. I'll see Don Tilley on the ride. Maybe he knows something. :nixweiss:

A guy announced the fix here today in another thread. Said the dealers got a letter from HD about it. The fix is......THEY CHANGED THE SPEC FOR ALLOWABLE LINER SLIPPAGE!!! And if that's true, don't count on anything being fixed soon gang! ???

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »

A guy announced the fix here today in another thread. Said the dealers got a letter from HD about it. The fix is......THEY CHANGED THE SPEC FOR ALLOWABLE LINER SLIPPAGE!!! And if that's true, don't count on anything being fixed soon gang! ???

Hoist! 8)

That's not it. That's just a spec to cut down on cylinder swaps.

We'll see something soon enough.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2008, 08:38:18 AM »

Hoist! 8)

I am leaning toward "magic" now. 

Long ago knew I was insane - after all I own a swimming pool, a boat, and 2 Harleys. Not to mention deciding to get married & have kids.  As they say back home "that boy ain't right."

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2008, 10:08:01 AM »

The July Issues of Hot Rod Baggers wrote up an article on the 2008 CVO.... They  think it's the best thing since ice cream.... Where is there balls....They certainly aint holding Willy's
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:30:02 AM by sportygordy »

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2008, 01:28:03 PM »

The July Issues of Hot Rod Baggers wrote up an article on the 2008 CVO.... They  think it's the best thing since ice cream.... Where is there balls....They certainly aint holding Willy's

How many full page ads did Harley have in their magazine.  That might explain their view point.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 24 queries.