Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Type of helmet you wear most...  (Read 31545 times)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: Type of helmet you wear most...
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2008, 08:57:45 AM »

I just happened to check my shelves about an hour ago, and realized that I have two 1/2 helmets, two 3/4 helmets, and the full face that I just got.  Three of these are less than a year old.  The two 3/4 helmets I forgot that I even had. One is probably about 18 to 20 years old and the other is probably about 11 years old.  Even though these helmets had very little use, were never in an accident, and never dropped, I'm thinking that the advice I've seen in the past would aim me in the direction of tossing those 2 helmets.  Do they become brittle or something...or did I imagine hearing this somewhere?

A high impact resin like polycarbonate can become brittle with exposure to UV over many years but I've got to think that carbon fiber is forever.  I'm too cheap to throw out a helmet that hasn't offered itself as sacrifice to my cranium.  If it breaks on impact it's helping to disappate the energy of the impact and preventing head trauma.  It only has to work once.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2008, 09:02:40 AM »

Bought 1 of these for my lovely BSR to match the 1 that was given to me:

Very lightweight, very comfortable, and the headsets fit easily.  Made by HJC for HD.  Much better than my older, heavier 3/4 helmet. Easily removable face shield - also comes with a visor.

Best to remove the face shield sticker before riding.
How much does it weigh?  My full-coverage is 1125 gms.  Dot approved, but not sure where it was made.  Wish all helmets could be that lightweight.  So much more comfortable for all day wear.   :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2008, 09:16:43 AM »

How much does it weigh?  My full-coverage is 1125 gms.  Dot approved, but not sure where it was made.  Wish all helmets could be that lightweight.  So much more comfortable for all day wear.   :) spyder

2lbs. 4 oz. is the weight  & it's a DOT helmet.  Wife's neck hurt after wearing the older style heavier helmet.  Plus they were almost 7 years old, had been dropped more than a few times, and it was time to replace them.  Got 30% off - not a bad deal, considering.

Yours weighs about 2 lb. 7 oz. Very lightweight for a fullface.  What brand?
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2008, 11:09:54 AM »

2lbs. 4 oz. is the weight  & it's a DOT helmet.  Wife's neck hurt after wearing the older style heavier helmet.  Plus they were almost 7 years old, had been dropped more than a few times, and it was time to replace them.  Got 30% off - not a bad deal, considering.

Yours weighs about 2 lb. 7 oz. Very lightweight for a fullface.  What brand?
It's a KTB.  I bought it on Ebay and I like it so much, I've been trying to find another with zero success.  DOT approved and all, but must have been a import that is no longer  being imported.  :nixweiss: spyder
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:31:54 PM by spydglide »
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2008, 07:27:39 PM »

I know that the polycarbonate shells will become brittle over age, but not sure about Kevlar, no reports on that, but of more concern is the foam interior, that will, over age become less absorbant and break down.  The recommended lifespan is 5 years, but I think that's a little more sales hype than truth...but I would check the helmet periodically after 5 years of wear even if it's never been dropped or abused.  JMO.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

REGGAB

« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »

This time of year, either 3/4 or full face.

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2009, 07:01:52 PM »

I happen to live in Illinois were we don't have a helmet law(there are still some states that believe in the freedom of choice) so If I wear a helmet it is a full face to keep warm when the temperature drops. I have a 3/4 for when my wife and I go out of state(so we can use the intercom) but now she is riding her own ultra so I will be investing in a dot approved skid lid and using my trusty hand mike for the CB communication.

Admiral

• My . Ol . Lady's . A Screaming Eagle !!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • >> SILVER BULLET <<

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • SJHR
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2009, 05:30:30 PM »

I like the half shell from seers.  Looks like a cop helmet.  Because it is.
They asked me what agency I worked for when I ordered it, and I said I was not in law enforcement is that a problem.  They said no and sold it to me anyway.

Could not count the number of people that when they see me buckle their seat belts.

:bananarock:

Admiral

• My . Ol . Lady's . A Screaming Eagle !!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • >> SILVER BULLET <<

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • SJHR
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2009, 05:34:12 PM »

Also forgot to mention, lots of people think twice before pulling out in front of me because I look so much like a cop I get a lot more respect from cages because of it.

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2009, 05:55:09 PM »

When riding alone I prefer to wear my 1/2 helmet.  But most of the time I'm 2 up with my DW and she likes to talk (shocking, huh?) so we have 3/4 helmets with the HD plug in intercomms.

I never ride w/o a helmet of some kind regardless of local laws.  Too hard to get the funny stickers out of my hair after the ride.

cheers!
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

theweelad

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
    • CVO2: 2009 SEUC
    • CVO3: Buell XB12S
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2009, 06:44:48 AM »

Helmets area weird beast. 

Helmets were mandatory in Nova Scotia, Canada.  In Texas you can have pay for an exemption provided you meet some minimum training and/or insurance requirements.  I have done all 3, no helmet, shorty and now a full face.  I loved the feeling of no helmet, but it never felt quite right.  I have taught msf/riders edge for 3 years now, in Texas if your gonna teach, you must ride in helmet, eye protection, full fingered gloved, over the ankle boots with long pants and long sleeves at minimum any place a student may see you.......translation....everywhere!  I went back to a full face helmet (Shoei X-11) about 2 years ago now and have fallen in love with it.  So much so, that I think the only place I wear my shorty is on the range when I teach, beause we never get enough speed on the range to keep a full face cool.  I always preach: "buy all the helmet you can afford, and wear all the gear you can stand!"

Kevin
"The Wee Lad"
Lead, Follow, Or Get The Hell Outta The Way!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2009, 07:15:53 AM »

How do you stand the full face in the summer?  :nixweiss: spyder

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2009, 12:31:08 PM »

I have a full-face helmet that I wear for only one reason... to stay warm when it is freezing outside.  For me, a full-face is uncomfortable - they push my fat cheeks up against my nose (I know, a proper fitting full-face helmet will not distort my face, but I ain't spending the $$$ to replace the one I already have)

So far, here in Oklahoma we don't have to wear a helmet (over 18) and I don't except to stay warm.  We also have half helmets that we wear when we travel to helmet states.  I don't like them either.... they make me feel like a mushroom.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2009, 12:44:02 PM »

I have a full-face helmet that I wear for only one reason... to stay warm when it is freezing outside.  For me, a full-face is uncomfortable - they push my fat cheeks up against my nose (I know, a proper fitting full-face helmet will not distort my face, but I ain't spending the $$$ to replace the one I already have)

So far, here in Oklahoma we don't have to wear a helmet (over 18) and I don't except to stay warm.  We also have half helmets that we wear when we travel to helmet states.  I don't like them either.... they make me feel like a mushroom.
mmmmmm  :beatnik: spyder

sirbells

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
    • Acn idependent repersenitive site
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2009, 12:42:33 AM »

Nolan N102 Flip up with blue tooth. Best Helmet I have ever had.
I just picked up the nolan n103 ($330) and i think its probably the most comfortable helmet i've ever had.. using it for the cold months now... nolan has a new n43 super modular (Full face, 3/4 with shield and internal sun shield or open 3/4) looks interesting and includes n-com  :sneaky:
When they knock you down, succeed and get even!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.