Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Filtermag to collect metal trash in engine  (Read 5080 times)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Filtermag to collect metal trash in engine
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 04:38:35 PM »

I'm going to try a set of magnets on my grips...  :orange:

BigR55

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 05:58:03 PM »

Which side of the filter element is near the outside? Does the oil come in the center, then through the filter and then out next to the can?  ???

I think Twolane needs one on his 6 speed tranny! :P

Sean M Cary

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 08:01:58 PM »

Which side of the filter element is near the outside? Does the oil come in the center, then through the filter and then out next to the can?  ???

Would it matter?   :nixweiss:

Sean

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 09:37:27 PM »

The center hole is the "output". 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BigR55

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 10:43:41 PM »

Would it matter?   :nixweiss:

Sean

I think it would matter because if you caught any metal after the filter element and then removed the magnet from the filter it would release the particles into the return stream going back to the engine.

GRC says the oil comes in the can side and then out the center so the magnet would work if there is anything circulating around.

Another benefit of the magnetic field down close to the ground would be to help trigger the traffic loops. They operate on a hysteresis detector and bikes sometime do not trigger them.

I did see a cooling fin that slips around the filter and  it dissipates a small amount of heat. A combination of heat sink and magnetic trap might be a worthwhile gadget. 8)   

Sean M Cary

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 06:36:01 AM »

I think it would matter because if you caught any metal after the filter element and then removed the magnet from the filter it would release the particles into the return stream going back to the engine.

GRC says the oil comes in the can side and then out the center so the magnet would work if there is anything circulating around.

Another benefit of the magnetic field down close to the ground would be to help trigger the traffic loops. They operate on a hysteresis detector and bikes sometime do not trigger them.

I did see a cooling fin that slips around the filter and  it dissipates a small amount of heat. A combination of heat sink and magnetic trap might be a worthwhile gadget. 8)   

Agree, but I as figuring on leaving it on and then dissecting the filter post change...

Worth a try at least.  These magnets do not slip or fall of, they are freaking STRONG...   :bananarock:

Sean

TNThumper

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anny #1258/1800
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 11:14:56 AM »

I believe that was the initial intent of the product. To be able to monitor your engine thru disecting the oil filter to see what collects on the magnet. Old timers used regular old magnets to do it on heavy trucks and equipment.

We always used oberg filters in the return line to the oil reservoir on the busch cars to monitor the trash.

It's not for everyone, but it's an interesting idea.

VG

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 01:30:22 PM »

some car company's use to install magnetised oil drain plugs in their engines
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 07:15:28 PM »

some car company's use to install magnetised oil drain plugs in their engines

So do some motorcycle companires  ;D
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Sean M Cary

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »

So do some motorcycle companires  ;D

I have a magnetic plug on my KLR...

Sean

currybob

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 01:16:01 AM »

This may be a little late but I have been using the filtermag on my bikes for several years now. You don't notice them and it is designed to increase the efficiency of you filter against ferrous metals. They are so strong they are actually hard to pull off the filter. I actually cut away one filter after 5,ooo miles to look at the underneath side of the filter. Where the magnetic is sitting there was what looked like a film of dirty oil (like the oil drain plug) and the remainder was clean. I put it on my 08 the day I picked it up and my drain plug magnetic was clean at the 1,000 mile service. I like the idea of all the oil passing by this strong magnetic within the oil filter. I have transfered from every bike I have owned.

Where I work we rebuild the M1 Abrams tank and they have a similar device on some of the crucial engine oil lines and hydraulics.

I can take a photo and post if anyone wants to see what it looks like, just let me know.

Bob
Bob

Bob  2008 CVO Road King- 105th.
Wife has 2005 Blue & White Deluxe.
Photos Link http://community.webshots.com/user/currybob

Sean M Cary

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 06:23:21 AM »

This may be a little late but I have been using the filtermag on my bikes for several years now. You don't notice them and it is designed to increase the efficiency of you filter against ferrous metals. They are so strong they are actually hard to pull off the filter. I actually cut away one filter after 5,ooo miles to look at the underneath side of the filter. Where the magnetic is sitting there was what looked like a film of dirty oil (like the oil drain plug) and the remainder was clean. I put it on my 08 the day I picked it up and my drain plug magnetic was clean at the 1,000 mile service. I like the idea of all the oil passing by this strong magnetic within the oil filter. I have transfered from every bike I have owned.

Where I work we rebuild the M1 Abrams tank and they have a similar device on some of the crucial engine oil lines and hydraulics.

I can take a photo and post if anyone wants to see what it looks like, just let me know.

Bob

I would, just for professional curiosity... :nixweiss:

Sean

currybob

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 07:31:59 PM »

Well I want to be curiositis so here you are.

Bob
Bob

currybob

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 07:33:58 PM »

Here's one slightly different angle.
Bob
Bob

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.