Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Dealer Eval Scheduled  (Read 6171 times)

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
Dealer Eval Scheduled
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:53:29 AM »

I've  finally had it with the amount of vibration on my '07 SERK. Did a 400 mile (yea, I know it's a putt around the block for a lot of you folks)  ride in high 90 degree heat last weekend with two friends -- one on a V-65 Sabre and the other on an '80's vintage something-or-other 80 c.i. H-D --- and the ride turned into a torture experience for me. This bike will not allow sustained cruising at any speed above 60 mph without imparting a sense of on-the-verge-of-loosing-control to me. Even on a baby's butt-smooth roadway. WTF is going on? I've got a little over 4000 miles on it. Seems to get worse as the ride goes on, and REALLY gets worse in 5th gear. Forget about using 6th -- ya can't go fast enough (because of excessive vibration) to use it. The damn thing feels like loss of control is imminent!@#@$#@. I finally got to speak with the SM of the dealership where I bought it after a brief run-around that he wasn't available, the owner was in a meeting, etc., etc. I said everything I've been lying to myself about for the last 15 months -- namely that this dog don't hunt! If a 30 K, 110 c.i. bike can't go down a smooth road at 65-80 mph without imparting a sense of impending doom, well, something needs changing. He said to bring it in so they can check it out-- have several different people ride it. I asked if they had any other 110 inch bikes there that I could ride for comparison and he said no, only Dennis's (the owner's dresser). I told him that if they don't find a cause and correct it, I'd be selling it. Now the last time I checked I still had a set of testicles in place. Maybe they're not overly big, but they're still there. I don't have a problem pushing my old Beemer to 100 - 110 mph, so I don't think a lack of intestinal fortitude is the problem here.
When I mentioned that possibly the crank may have excessive runout, or maybe a bad motor mount, or wheel balancing, etc., he quickly mentioned that they have "...never replaced a crankshaft...". I should have asked him how many they have checked for excessive runout. This dealership ( all employees I've talked to, without exception) has steadfastly claimed that they are unaware of any frequent 110 problems. I've been on this forum a while now, though I havn't posted much. I see that the 110 problems  still are not being adequately addressed by the MOCO. Though I haven't yet developed any gasket failures, I just got this nagging feeling that I got one of those great big ol' sloppy cranks waiting to let loose and a dealership that is going to use the ol' deny, deny, deny technique.
I've printed out several of the threads on this forum dealing with other member's experiences with defective cranks, but suspect that they'll be of little help in swaying this dealership if they're inclined to not work with me on this. I can only be hopeful. If anyone can give me any suggestions as to what approach may be most productive in this visit, I'm all ears.

Disgusted in Pa,

leoniru :(

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: Dealer Eval Scheduled
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:53:43 AM »

Keep the faith, and good luck.  Once you figure out the problem and get the cure, all will be well.  You have a very nice motorcycle.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:51:11 AM »

I've  finally had it with the amount of vibration on my '07 SERK. Did a 400 mile (yea, I know it's a putt around the block for a lot of you folks)  ride in high 90 degree heat last weekend with two friends -- one on a V-65 Sabre and the other on an '80's vintage something-or-other 80 c.i. H-D --- and the ride turned into a torture experience for me. This bike will not allow sustained cruising at any speed above 60 mph without imparting a sense of on-the-verge-of-loosing-control to me. Even on a baby's butt-smooth roadway. WTF is going on? I've got a little over 4000 miles on it. Seems to get worse as the ride goes on, and REALLY gets worse in 5th gear. Forget about using 6th -- ya can't go fast enough (because of excessive vibration) to use it. The damn thing feels like loss of control is imminent!@#@$#@. I finally got to speak with the SM of the dealership where I bought it after a brief run-around that he wasn't available, the owner was in a meeting, etc., etc. I said everything I've been lying to myself about for the last 15 months -- namely that this dog don't hunt! If a 30 K, 110 c.i. bike can't go down a smooth road at 65-80 mph without imparting a sense of impending doom, well, something needs changing. He said to bring it in so they can check it out-- have several different people ride it. I asked if they had any other 110 inch bikes there that I could ride for comparison and he said no, only Dennis's (the owner's dresser). I told him that if they don't find a cause and correct it, I'd be selling it. Now the last time I checked I still had a set of testicles in place. Maybe they're not overly big, but they're still there. I don't have a problem pushing my old Beemer to 100 - 110 mph, so I don't think a lack of intestinal fortitude is the problem here.
When I mentioned that possibly the crank may have excessive runout, or maybe a bad motor mount, or wheel balancing, etc., he quickly mentioned that they have "...never replaced a crankshaft...". I should have asked him how many they have checked for excessive runout. This dealership ( all employees I've talked to, without exception) has steadfastly claimed that they are unaware of any frequent 110 problems. I've been on this forum a while now, though I havn't posted much. I see that the 110 problems  still are not being adequately addressed by the MOCO. Though I haven't yet developed any gasket failures, I just got this nagging feeling that I got one of those great big ol' sloppy cranks waiting to let loose and a dealership that is going to use the ol' deny, deny, deny technique.
I've printed out several of the threads on this forum dealing with other member's experiences with defective cranks, but suspect that they'll be of little help in swaying this dealership if they're inclined to not work with me on this. I can only be hopeful. If anyone can give me any suggestions as to what approach may be most productive in this visit, I'm all ears.

Disgusted in Pa,

leoniru :(

leoniru,

We've got numerous members in Pennsylvania. Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a member with a 110 that will let you ride their bike for comparison. You may need to take both bikes to the dealer so they can compare rides. This will eliminate the possibility of denial when you can show them good and bad.

Another suggestion is to take it to another dealer, if that is an option.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:indian_chief:

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 08:03:13 AM »

....and if it's a safety concern, might be able to ruffle a few feathers here http://nhtsa.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/menuitem.ee6733b87096a398d33a431046108a0c/

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:13:12 AM »

Thanx for the encouragement, but I don't FEEL like I have a nice motorcycle anymore-- rather I feel like I've been deceived by a state-of-the-art, slick ad campaign and fraudulent use of a once-noble motorcycle mark. Instead of a piece-of-sh-t (POS), I think a more accurate reference would be a POPS - i.e., a purty piece-of-sh-t. Cause that's all it's got going for it. If I had known this bike had a component as critical as a crankshaft made in china I would NEVER, NEVER have bought it. If only I had discovered this forum BEFORE my purchase!!! I am vehemently anti-made-in-china. They ain't our friends. Thev've poisoned our pets, our children and they rest of us with their deceptive and sinister manufacturing of pet food ingredients, lead paint (or worse)-covered toys, and DELIBERATELY-adulterated medication, or health products.
I avoid knowingly purchasing ANYTHING made there. My wife who thinks I'm psycho about this can attest to it. I have on more than a few occasions, immediately repacked a purchase that had misleading country-of-origin labeling  as soon as it arrived and sent it back to the vendor after seeing that dreaded "MADE IN CHINA" logo. I can't sit here and try and tell you that I have absolutely nothing in my possesion made there. I do and I ain't happy about it, but at least I knew this BEFORE I threw my money away. It helps one decide whether or not they want to roll the dice on the purchase. I would not in a million years have rolled the dice on a made-in-china-crank-equipped top-of-the-line POPS!!
Harley f---ing Davidson should be REQUIRED to display a disclosure on their ENTIRE product line-up and ESPECIALLY on their 'TOP-OF-THE-LINE', "FLAGSHIP' offering that clearly informs the would-be purchaser where it's components were made. Especially critical components which is pretty much everything on a motorcycle. What a crock of sh-t!
I am through with them. and I haven't even been told that I have a defective unit.  For all I know, my bike is underperforming exactly as designed. Guess it's my own fault for not insisting on a test ride, but then again how many dealers offer test rides on limited edition product? When I read the thread where (I think it was Hoist) a post described how they addressed the excessive crank run-out problem by INCREASING the allowable tolerance I damn near smashed my 'puter (made in china, no doubt) I was that mad.
An 'AMERICAN ICON' ? What a joke. Count me in on any class-action lawsuit that may emerge as I seriously doubt that my stealer is going to solve the bike's problems or refund my full purchase price.

leoniru

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 08:24:12 AM »

Not sure it's any consolation but there have been many of us with like minded positions on the MOCO. For many it's a love hate thing and for just cause. I speak for myself when I say that through all the frustrations I've experienced (poor dealer CS, the now infamous head gasket leak etc...) I still have a hard time exiting the saddle once I get in.

I hope you get a satisfactory resolution (and yes I believe with much persistence it's possible)  because the ride is just that good. Don't give up the fight it will work out.

Worst case scenario you get into the motor yourself and right the wrong. There is no question the MOCO risks a huge fallout over this BS.

I just wanna ride.

Howie

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:01:11 AM »

Where can we find out the country of origin for the different components? Is this information actually available?

I know my voltage regulator says it's from Australia and my forks and stock shocks are Showa from Japan, but where can we find out where the other parts and pieces are made? :nixweiss:

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 09:14:07 AM »

:jack:

why do you think your crank is made in china?

certian piece parts will always be sourced like bearings but i would think things like the crank would be american made junk.

dont recall seeing them during the power train tour, but you dont get to see every step. i did see heads being CNC cut, as well as other parts being fabricated
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 09:20:27 AM »

:jack:

why do you think your crank is made in china?

certian piece parts will always be sourced like bearings but i would think things like the crank would be american made junk.

dont recall seeing them during the power train tour, but you dont get to see every step. i did see heads being CNC cut, as well as other parts being fabricated

Neal,

That's exactly my point. Whenever a part proves to be bad, it's automatically branded as Chinese junk, without knowing it's true country of origin. There's a whole lot of Made in the USA junk out there too. Does anyone remember the Corvair? or the Pinto?

If the part is crap, blame Harley. They designed it and put it in your motor. Regardless of where it's made, Harley said it's OK to use it.

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 09:39:51 AM »

Naitram;

I have no personal knowledge that this bike's crank was made in china. I was going on what I've seen mentioned here numerous times. If I am wrong I will personally apologize to uncle Ho.

So are you telling me that every previous mention of a chinese made crank in these motors on this forum have been nothing more than angry or derogatory assumptions of presumably inferiorly produced assemblies?

leoniru

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 09:41:34 AM »

to be honest i dont know where they are made. i know that i have seen a lot of china references lately but have yet to see it backed up with any facts
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 09:45:15 AM »

Neal,

That's exactly my point. Whenever a part proves to be bad, it's automatically branded as Chinese junk, without knowing it's true country of origin. There's a whole lot of Made in the USA junk out there too. Does anyone remember the Corvair? or the Pinto?

If the part is crap, blame Harley. They designed it and put it in your motor. Regardless of where it's made, Harley said it's OK to use it.

My guess is, if history is any indicator, China has earned that reputation. A simple call to HD HQ customer service may answer that question! I for one have had similar conversations with HD in reference to outsourceing (although not about the crank specifically) and their overall canned response was outsourceing only occurs when quantity of certain parts needed is so low they cannot find US production facilities to fill the orders.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 10:04:53 AM »

Exactly

There are those that label the country of origin as the reason a part is junk.
Sing it Chuck!
BLAME HARLEY!

They designed it and put it in your motor. Regardless of where it's made, Harley said it's OK to use it.

It's like the 2009 CVO Road Glide. Until I see it, there is no proof it exist or where it comes from.
Show us documentation that the cranks are made in China. If someone can get that then most likely they can get the design specs that show it was built to Harley specs or it wasn't.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 10:13:01 AM »

If someone can get that then most likely they can get the design specs that show it was built to Harley specs or it wasn't.

Regardless of country of manufacture if the crank is built to Harley specs and is crap then I have a problem with Harley.

If a crank isn't built to Harley specs and Harley installed them anyway, I still have a problem with Harley!

For me, it all goes back to Harley!

Am I repeating myself?

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 10:14:03 AM »

Show us documentation that the cranks are made in China. If someone can get that then most likely they can get the design specs that show it was built to Harley specs or it wasn't.

Following this line of thought, it really doesn't matter where the crank is manufactured nor does it matter whether or not it was manufactured to Harley's specs - Harley assembled the crank into your motor.  It is not only their responsibility to engineer the piece correctly -  it also is their responsibility to ensure the piece was manufactured correctly - whereever it was manufactured - prior to bolting it into your motor...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:57:54 AM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 20 queries.